A most recent pic, and the story...Share your old Mopar!

keithb7

On 8/26/2020 at 7:56 AM, tjlarson88 said:

Coffee is a definite must in my book. I need to figure out a solution for my '49 - holding a coffee cup for a two hour plus drive can get old really quickly (speaking from experience). 

ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BENCH-SEAT-CONSOLE-39223-TRUCK-SUV-FOR-GMC-CHEVY-DODGE-FORD/153687460407?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p20

Removable console. I bought one to use with my 03 "beater" truck because I like having a arm rest. The best thing about it is it is portable. You can take it out of what you are driving today and put it in something else tomorrow,and have your aspirin,sun glasses,etc,etc,etc with you regardless of what bench seat car you are driving.

• Thanks 1

Knuckle you are a handy guy...make one here's an idea from the 40s. I have one similar that has a flap of flexible plastic the shuts into the glove box door and just hangs there.  Think it was two bucks at Pep Boys.

https://econlife.com/2013/07/the-cup-holder-was-an-indispensable-innovation/

This coffee cup holder is $3.50 or so at Walmart. Look in the High Performance Automotive section. ;)

Just be careful reaching your hand and arm in through the steering wheel spoke to grab the cup, while driving. Especially if you are in a parking lot, using the spinner wheel...Sayin’ for a friend. 

73A744A0-098B-4020-A2E0-8E4B9DD2CB54.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

5 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

This coffee cup holder is $3.50 or so at Walmart. Look in the High Performance Automotive section. ;)

I can see this as rated for being HIGH PERFORMANCE as opposed to holding your coffee while shifting gears....while not a practical due to higher cushion height, there are some on the market that are also kick panel mounted for low seat, deep set pedals...think sport car here.....possible application to the door panel (card if you still thinking sport car)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

4 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Just be careful reaching your hand and arm in through the steering wheel spoke to grab the cup, while driving. Especially if you are in a parking lot, using the spinner wheel...Sayin’ for a friend. 

Yeah,but with a portable console,you get TWO coffee holders away from the steering wheel,a place to hold you sun glasses,fingernail clippers,rolaids,cd's,etc,etc,etc,AND......,a armrest.

Plus you can move all that crap from one car to another every time you switch rides,and never be without  your stuff.

no one argued that point.....other options was posted only.....many do not like a console in the middle of the seat...I for one like them same as you as arm rest is very handy when driving but I prefer it factory installed and hinged...but not all cars will allow center mounts and some bucket seat cars with shifter in the floor WHERE IT BELONGS along with a handbrake lever....render many center style unusable...HOWEVER there are a couple "C" style mounts that are available for this use also....hard to come across at times.

45 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

no one argued that point.....other options was posted only.....many do not like a console in the middle of the seat...I for one like them same as you as arm rest is very handy when driving but I prefer it factory installed and hinged...but not all cars will allow center mounts and some bucket seat cars with shifter in the floor WHERE IT BELONGS along with a handbrake lever....render many center style unusable...HOWEVER there are a couple "C" style mounts that are available for this use also....hard to come across at times.

Who is arguing? I am pointing out options that work better that trying to reach around the steering wheel in a moving car.

As for anchoring a aftermarket console,you can use a  strap glued to the bottom of the console with a short piece if 1/2 inch PCV with the webbing ran through it. Stick the tubing between the seat base and back,and it will anchor the console in place until you want to remove it.

Edited by knuckleharley

Taken today. My 41 Plymouth in front of the original owner's house. I don't mean the person I bought it from, I mean 1941 new. Interesting fact about the car, it only has had three owners all live or lived on the same street including me. 

20201010_142415.jpg

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, vintage6t said:

Taken today. My 41 Plymouth in front of the original owner's house. I don't mean the person I bought it from, I mean 1941 new. Interesting fact about the car, it only has had three owners all live or lived on the same street including me. 

20201010_142415.jpg

That's a pretty cool story.... Great looking car. I also like your red wheels!?

its a red car....factory did red wheels on red body car....it is  complimenting color and not an eye sore in this manner....first glance you never see the red wheels.....your eye goes to the body of the car.....put yellow rims on this beast and see what your eye will first focus on...

47 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

its a red car....factory did red wheels on red body car....it is  complimenting color and not an eye sore in this manner....first glance you never see the red wheels.....your eye goes to the body of the car.....put yellow rims on this beast and see what your eye will first focus on...

Yeah I know.  I was just being a smart arse.....

1 hour ago, vintage6t said:

20201010_142415.jpg

What a great story! Beautiful car!! Great looking old house!

1 hour ago, vintage6t said:

20201010_142415.jpg

That's some serious "Twilight Zone" stuff!

Sumbodie cue the music.....

BTW,beautiful car,and impressive house. I am guessing the original owner had no problem paying cash for the car back in 41.

Edited by knuckleharley

2 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

That's some serious "Twilight Zone" stuff!

Sumbodie cue the music.....

BTW,beautiful car,and impressive house. I am guessing the original owner had no problem paying cash for the car back in 41.

So the story goes he was a bit of a gambler and won it at a horse track.  Might just be folklore but there is still a number of people around with some connection to him so it's possible.

This I know to be true. We live in an old broadleaf and shade tobacco farming community. In the 70s, prior to being restored, the car was used in the fields during harvest time to pull tobacco riggings. The riggings are long trailers where the picked tobacco is hung for transport to the drying sheds.

• Like 1

l

19 minutes ago, vintage6t said:

So the story goes he was a bit of a gambler and won it at a horse track.  Might just be folklore but there is still a number of people around with some connection to him so it's possible.

This I know to be true. We live in an old broadleaf and shade tobacco farming community. In the 70s, prior to being restored, the car was used in the fields during harvest time to pull tobacco riggings. The riggings are long trailers where the picked tobacco is hung for transport to the drying sheds.

I LOVE that part in bold,and knowning farming families,have no problem at all believing it to be true.

I grew up in a commercial fishing family on the Atlantic coast. My first job at age 13 was as a deckhand on a shrimping boat during summer vacation.

Mostly,we did haul sieghn (sounds like "sane) fishing off the beach,but also did set netting in the sounds.

I know for a fact the head of one local fishing family made a big beach haul and then had his truck break down,leaving the fish sitting in boxes on the beach,out in the hot sun. His solution was to tear the back seat and braces from the rear of his brand new Pontiac Grand Prix and shovel it full of fish and ice to haul to the market.

People who make their living doing things like farming and commercial fishing tend to take a very practical approach to living,

• Like 3

On 10/10/2020 at 10:59 AM, keithb7 said:

I wish this was an option, but the '49 doesn't have a glove box behind the steering wheel - ha!

The glove box on the driver's side is a faux glove box with no actual box behind it and doesn't open. This was the case in the '38 Chrysler I owned. It was just to match the real glove box on the passenger side as gauges and speedometer are in the middle of the dash.

52587DF8-47D6-4D8A-B841-DDC738F7A9A8.jpeg.ca0b50ef446c470c05eb79cb217c4762.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2

2020 is all wrapped up for my ‘38. The insurance expires at mid-night tonight. 

Today we had fair weather. Cloudy. No rain. 47 F. Heater was on. The driver window down for arm turn signals.  I put on about 70 miles today.  It was a nice back country cruise. 

Total miles in my ‘38 this year is 1553. 2500 KM for my fellow Canadians. A great year. 

I learned a ton this year. My perception of the general public has improved somewhat too!  I’ve met so many nice strangers who approached to talk about, and view my car. Among my favourite stops all year was the gas station. That’s where most people approached me. 

2020 cruising season was a rough one in many ways.  My ‘38 kept things more fun and positive.

My maiden year in this car,  it never left me stranded. Never saw a tow hook. Sure I ran out of gas 2x, but I’m no longer a rookie.  I always had extra gas in the trunk!  The bugs were all worked out and the car became better and better, as the miles added up. 

These are tough old cars. It was 83 years ago that the steel was being made for this car. With the right owner another 83 years is likely achievable.  I stopped on the hill home for a final 2020 photo. She pulled the grade well. Running strong. Maintaining 40 mph she zipped right up. Here’s hoping the cruising 2021 season turns out as well! 

954EA829-E7DF-4EB1-B290-C14052E8A562.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 7

You did have a good year! Lots of reliable miles. When put away for the winter, remember to go out once a week or so and pump the brakes just to keep up residual pressure. 

Seeing your ‘38 always gives me a bit of seller’s remorse about my ‘38 Chrysler. 

A5EC9AAF-646A-43A3-8826-B1FCA6FA9E7C.jpeg.663083d3094821a9a18196d41b25d9f6.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 4

Your Chrysler is a beauty @RobertKB. I would indeed find it very challenging to pass up a Chrysler from the same period. 

I can understand the a decision to sell. We can only keep so much. Sometimes something has to go before another project can be brought home. I went through that this summer with the Airflow offering.

Do you have a photo of all three of your current cars together? I'd like to see that.