A most recent pic, and the story...Share your old Mopar!

keithb7

9 minutes ago, Jeff I indu said:

49 chrysler royal. Bought it at auction last October. It was painted in 1984 and put away for 35 years. Started but brake pedal went to floor. Replaced master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brakes lines etc. Also new champion radiator with new rubber everything. Plugs, spark plug wires, all new fluids etc. Finally got all my electrical issues figured out. Headlights, turn signals, brake lights now all work as they should. Got tags and insurance 4 weeks ago and have already put a few hundred miles on it. More this upcoming weekend. Only issues were running out of gas my first time out due to a gas guage showing full and shorting out the starter relay due to pressure washing it. Both my fault and this forum helped me out a lot. Interior is totally original and well worn. I plan on starting working on the interior this winter after putting a few hundred more miles on her. Gets lots of looks

Jeff

She's a beauty Jeff. You've done good things to make it safe and reliable. I find a timing light, dwell meter, tachometer, vacuum/pressure gauge and feeler gauges for the valve set,  are very key tools to keep get these old Mopars dialed in right. My 6V equipped engine starts up so incredibly quick when it's hot or cold it's a surprise to most people.  It's amazing how well these old flatheads can run when they are set up right. At the local gas station, I get a ton of inquiries by strangers nearby, also buying fuel.  I love the look on those people's faces after I flash it up so quickly, and and it purrs.

Mine is still 6v also. When I show the car to friends or family I just reach in the window and tap the key and it fires right up and idles smooth. They cant believe it. The new sparkplugs, distributor cap and wired made a huge difference. I actually bought a set of points at the same time but decided not to install them as I was afraid I would make it worse. 

A few weeks back my wife and I took my 48 Plymouth out for a drive out to Moorpark, Ca thru the back roads to the Underwood Farms open air market. I for got how nice these old cars can be. My wife was happy with the fresh produce she got and I had a great drive too!

Plymouth Underwood Farms.jpg

Plymouth Underwood2.jpg

Plymouth Underwood3.jpg

• Like 4

Had my 37 at the Southwest Mopar Mini-Nats in Rockwall, TX on Saturday. Took first place in the Street Rod Class. There were about 75-80 vintage Mopars 1975 and older (along with a handful of AMCs) and another 30-35 late model Chargers / Challengers. Photo was taken before most cars had shown up. 

Resized.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,

This past weekend I went for a mini-tour with a friend from my local car club. My wife and I followed this 1949 Packard all over the two-laners of Vermont and New Hampshire. The weather was perfect and a good time was had by all.

Pete

20200905_142801_2.jpg

20200905_143536_2.jpg

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hi all,

This past weekend I went for a mini-tour with a friend from my local car club. My wife and I followed this 1949 Packard all over the two-laners of Vermont and New Hampshire. The weather was perfect and a good time was had by all.

Pete

20200905_142801_2.jpg

20200905_143536_2.jpg

HI Pete,,  This laborday week-end,, we went to southen Quebec, just right at the border with Highgate, VT. ,,  but with the border close, we are riding in circle.. lol

Vermont , just like us, has one of the most beautifull fall color, because of the maple trees,  the change of colors already started,, good time to ride and the view is pictures perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is that old car in the distance? 

27A2DB20-A1D7-4524-921B-C73063C74F0E.jpeg.c8358913b2632a72b74c6c43fba8152e.jpeg

Actually I do know. It’s my ‘51 Dodge D39 business coupe. I was out today and driving down a dirt road beside an irrigation canal. Lots of irrigation in the agricultural area around my city.

Sky looks like it’s cloudy but is actually hazy from forest fire smoke. Smoke is from fires on the US west coast. Our American neighbours need to stop smoking!??

A little more close up of the car and irrigation canal. 

54CD8937-60B1-4167-B110-79157D096110.jpeg.eef60852eb4452957552de547a5aeb76.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 4

Summer is about wrapped up.  I have 3 weeks left on my car’s insurance. Then its all over but the ensuing pouting. 

I was running errands today in my ‘38. The miles keep adding up and the car seems to keep getting better. Its reliability seems to have reached the mark that is comfortable in my mind. Its been trouble free for quite a while. The initial bugs were all worked out and its been fantastic. I often find myself thinking, am I ever going to desire a modern cruiser car? At this point I’m certainly doubtful. Rock solid reliable. Fun to drive. Easy to fix. Cheap to own this old driver.   A 1938 Mopar checks a lot of the boxes for me. 

3A8D289A-57BB-4114-B9EF-75C31A908D40.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

Some great photos and stories. Perhaps next year i will get to cruise the Fargo and make some memories. Its still a work in progress, very slow progress. Until then, i will enjoy the photos and stories! Thanks to you all for sharing. 

6AB2D184-2F3B-43CC-957C-1935FB7DFC33.jpeg

• Like 2

Making progress on the 52, carb rebuild and new battery cut off switch make everything so much better.  Still need to finish making the brake lights work. But not bad for original unrestored. Unfortunately for me she needs to go. Too many projects lol. 

20200816_123210.jpg

• Like 2

Somebody, in a previous post, mentioned his car seemed to feel better/handle better with a couple

passengers in the back seat who served to add weight.   My car (P15 convert) feels a bit light in the 

rear....so for several years I carried around 3 old straight 8 cylinder heads I bought at junk prices.

Placed them in that area between the trunk and back seat...so nobody sees them.  I have since replaced

those heads with a couple 60 pound sand bags in the same location.  Get the same result....car just feels

a little better and that amount of weight doesn't affect gas mileage or anything else.   

DSC02737.jpg

Two old timers--in an old timer.  Taken a year or two ago.  At the time, we were in an alley in downtown Joplin letting the son of a friend use the car for a prop in some of his senior (high school) pictures.

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had the ‘48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe out for a run in the country today. Fall colours were on full display. I love this time of year with warm days and cooler nights. Unfortunately, I know what’s coming in a while. I’m driving my cars nearly every day before w****r (swear word ?) arrives. 

40E25E2E-F651-49BB-B93B-5253915E4AE7.jpeg.e72cda08dc586c5aa2f7fbb48d3f7202.jpeg

7FAB4024-CF28-45E7-8C8A-7C5BA382BBB0.jpeg.00e5635cbbfb475d1faf0dc359b2922b.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

It was the turn of the ‘53 Plymouth today. I don’t put a lot of miles on it these days as it has done 102,003 miles as of today. Engine is untouched except for a set of rings and one burnt valve replacement 30,000 miles ago. Still doesn’t burn oil. Car is original including paint.

Where I parked, colours are just starting to turn. Beautiful warm fall day!

4C6D6B27-F27B-4B45-9952-B186550328B0.jpeg.32c67f18e71b324ca302125a9e41365f.jpeg

• Like 4

Today I asked  Momma to take a quick second to try our version of the Bonny & Clyde photo. 

Great fall weather today! The car is running great.

4DAB9EF0-AB08-49AC-B036-83D0D5733EB5.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone. If so I will delete my post. We’re just out having a little fun with our ‘38. Making great memories.  Yes it was unloaded. We went to a remote area for the photo. Firearm was locked out and transported as per Canadian Federal laws. I am certified and licensed to own. 

A few notes:

Another Bonnie & Clyde pic remake.  A Remmington 870 Wingmaster. My Dad’s. He ordered it new from the Sears Catalog in 1970.  Dad passed in 2017. 

My wife may appear a lady...She is indeed. However she is up for anything and has had her hands deep into my '38. Grease up to her neck, when help is needed. This spring I recall she was up top while we were lining up and reinstalling the tranny. I was down under the car. She dropped a tool that landed on my face. Ouch!

CFD3325C-84D0-41EB-BF44-2F4F988FE6FC.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

On 9/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, keithb7 said:

Summer is about wrapped up.  I have 3 weeks left on my car’s insurance. Then its all over but the ensuing pouting. 

I was running errands today in my ‘38. The miles keep adding up and the car seems to keep getting better. Its reliability seems to have reached the mark that is comfortable in my mind. Its been trouble free for quite a while. The initial bugs were all worked out and its been fantastic. I often find myself thinking, am I ever going to desire a modern cruiser car? At this point I’m certainly doubtful. Rock solid reliable. Fun to drive. Easy to fix. Cheap to own this old driver.   A 1938 Mopar checks a lot of the boxes for me. 

3A8D289A-57BB-4114-B9EF-75C31A908D40.jpegJust did 530 miles on our tour to the Berkshires in Mass. Used about 27 gallons of gas, added no oil, and did a couple frosty morning cold starts with no issues. Turning the heater fan on high with the fog lights on caused a belt squeek which responded to a slight tension adjustment. Climbed 3000 feet or so up a mountain, and then came back down with no brake issues.  These are amazingly capable of doing what they were designed and engineered to do.  And they do it comfortably, economically and with no fuss.

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Hopefully this doesn’t offend anyone. If so I will delete my post. We’re just out having a little fun with our ‘38. Making great memories.  Yes it was unloaded. We went to a remote area for the photo. Firearm was locked out and transported as per Canadian Federal laws. I am certified and licensed to own. 

A few notes:

Another Bonnie & Clyde pic remake.  A Remmington 870 Wingmaster. My Dad’s. He ordered it new from the Sears Catalog in 1970.  Dad passed in 2017. 

My wife may appear a lady...She is indeed. However she is up for anything and has had her hands deep into my '38. Grease up to her neck, when help is needed. This spring I recall she was up top while we were lining up and reinstalling the tranny. I was down under the car. She dropped a tool that landed on my face. Ouch!

CFD3325C-84D0-41EB-BF44-2F4F988FE6FC.jpeg

Great picture!  I believe Bonnie used a Browning A5 :)

Out killing bugs this afternoon. I had the ‘51 Dodge out for a long run and added to the bug collection on the front end and windshield. Can’t understand people who have a nice car but don’t want to get it dirty or bugged up. There will be lots of dead grasshoppers on my garage floor tomorrow. 

FA884F73-18E7-46CB-B949-7E20A4572C57.jpeg.258f64d4c031332e72d3d9da3ed0a82d.jpeg

They call Montana “Land of the Big Sky” on their licence plates. We have the same in Alberta, Canada, as we border immediately north of Montana. 

1D42E437-8F8E-40A8-8C1A-354AD85AB311.jpeg.7f2585bc1c363677210440b0eb597d40.jpeg

• Like 7