A most recent pic, and the story...Share your old Mopar!

keithb7

Harvest weather here in southern Alberta.I had the old DeSoto out for a drive, took the camera along...

1415221874_HarvestWeatherAug212020.JPG.b0e5e98bf260cd920f991e14f0003d2c.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, great looking car, which is not very common. Looking the pix over I noted several anomalies with the car shown in the pix. Mainly the split V windshield, wipers on the cowl in lieu of the windshield header, and only two hinges on the door in lieu of the normal three that DPCD coupe/convertibles normally had.

Doing some research on the '36 DeSoto I noted that the '36 Airstream's  (S-1) had two levels of cars in '36, the Delux, flat windshield and the Custom.V'd windshield.  The Custom RS coupe only came in the Custom line, total of 641 produced.

My father had a '37 DeSoto 4 dr sdn in 39, we went to the Worlds Fair in San Francisco from So Cal.  The 37 had an OD, a real nice ride compared to the '36 Chevy 4 dr sdn that the DeSoto replaced. Wm.

• Like 1

You guys made me laugh. Not this time out. I won’t be taking a shortcut to Minnesota. Lol.

120 miles round trip today. 45-55 MPH the entire trip. The furthest and the hardest I’ve pushed my ‘38 since I’ve fixed it up. 45 Mph is extremely comfortable with the 1:1 ratio in 3rd and 4:11 gears. 50 mph is fine, just wee bit more buzzy. 55 and up is a little too dicy for my liking. Steering is a little loose feeling. The bias tires tug you around pretty good at 55. It would seem my ‘38 was built with 45 mph the speed target. You still have some guts to pull out pass at 45, though not much. It rides like a train at 45, yet I feel ya gotta be semi-crazy at 55mph. 

I could get 3:73 gears. Maybe find an OD tranny. Some radial tires. That would tame it a bit.  To me its still a ‘38. The only safety feature might very well be the windshield. Lol. To keep gravel out of your teeth. I’m content at 45-50 mph. 

Top things I learned today about longer-ish trips at higher speeds:

-pop out vent windows are extra awesome. Cowl vent genius. Modern cars are really missing out!

- at 45-50 mph the engine seems to be in its happy spot. Easy to maintain 50 on hills too. She’s got the torque to pull them hiway hills. 

- My recent cooling system work has made it very efficient. It has a 160F thermostat. Gauge read 115F on the hiway at 50mph. Ambient air temp was 9 celsius then. Not enough cab heat. 

- There are a ton of really idiotic drivers willing to sacrifice your life. So they can get to where they are going, faster, at any cost. 

-The hard work is paying off. Its super rewarding to go 120 miles with confidence in a 1938 Jalopy. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

Glad all is going well. It is nice to work up to having confidence in the old Plymouth! It’s taken me a good 1500 miles to start feeling really comfy with my ‘51 Dodge. 

Just thinking your temp gauge is reading low. I would think at highway speeds it should be thermostat temp (160) at the very least. Engine isn’t truly warmed up at 115. 

• Like 3

Tonight I headed out with my wife.  We took, the family blonde doodle pup, and my mother-in-law in the back seat. All that weight back there, I noticed the old ‘38  actually rode better.  Smoother.  Unfortunately I’ll never experience that again?

The car seems to be getting better the more fuel I burn. I may test my compression again. Feels to me, it might be up compared to April this year. I’ve heard it before,  these old cars seem to be best when driven regularly. 

BC124E02-62C4-4310-BB21-906137B508CB.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 6

Just out and about in the ‘53 Plymouth. It’s been very hot and sunny for quite a while. 

I’m fortunate that in a city of 100,000+ that I live close to the edge and can get out in the country quickly. 

849415A9-FBE3-4F41-92D0-8484F225B2E8.jpeg.9309e67455c74072ce345c44f86f4b94.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 8

Nice looking car @RobertKB!  Glad to see it out and about enjoying the summer roads. 

It seems both you and @T120 are both in Southern Alberta. Lucky to have some nearby active old Mopar guys in the same region. If I ever get over that way I’ll be looking to check out both of your car collections.  They appear fantastic!

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliment. The '53 was my first old car which I bought in 1975 so only 22 years old when bought. My dad had a '53 Plymouth brand new and I remember the car well and when this one came up I grabbed it. It is a true survivor with nearly original everything, including paint which up close has its share of gravel rash and a few scratches. Only things I replaced were a badly torn headliner and the original carpet. Car is a 4-Door Belvedere only available in Canada and had factory carpet instead of the usual rubber floormat.

Yes, Ralph (T120) and I live about 20 miles apart. He has some very nice cars, one of which is a Dodge D25 Club Coupe like mine. A very original car and a nice teal colour. I have pictures of the two cars together but at this point I'm not sure where.

Edit........Found a pic of Ralph’s Dodge D25. I don’t believe he will mind me posting it. Our two D25’s are not together but taken separately from similar angles. I know I have a pic of them together but no idea where. 

Ralph’s Dodge D25 Club Coupe

D276538B-6676-4215-8B26-0F736F0FB736.jpeg.6e651bff453853b98c9e4fc39b833235.jpeg

My Dodge D25 Club Coupe

288DD80F-F9F6-4307-BD57-FE1A518379C8.jpeg.9a6a9dc912484cfe862811d68353c059.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 7

little back history

Purchased new by my dad in 1951. Transferred by the Airforce  to Tucson AZ where the car spent the majority of its life. Was dads transportation until 1986 when he passed away. I was the only one of seven siblings to drive the car during high school in the early 70's. Mom kept it parked beside the house until I took possession in 2013 and moved it to Wyoming. I started the teardown in the winter of 2016, the most recent photo was Saturday when I drove it around the block for the first time. Still some loose ends to complete but the end is in sight.

20200821_110325[1].jpg

20161126_134316[1].jpg

• Like 8

I was looking through old pictures I had put on photobucket and rediscovered a picture of my ‘48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe when I first got it. Other pictures show it now from a similar angle. 

20D35BF9-D476-4059-8CF5-1702AA59E9F5.jpeg.383ba8cf91ff4cdd8276d33958c8bccc.jpeg

660D8831-3A46-4812-88B0-FCDBCA4B3CBC.jpeg.e13754633af4d61910edd98c9fe628ce.jpeg

37E3EE23-C017-4561-BB40-388CB4C300A4.jpeg.a39d8c2467cf3e628c040b87ac47dcaf.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 5

@RobertKB I do love those Dodge coupes. They have a great front end and grill.  In my opinion, when it comes to coupes, they are second only to the 48 NY'r 2 door coupe with straight 8. They are a big beast that I'd also love to own.

I am a little jealous of you folks who have nearby old Mopar connections. I'd enjoy a partner to cruise around with and help each other out with wrenching.

The ultimate friend: He lives in my neighbourhood within walking distance. He's nuts about pre 20's-50's Mopars. He owns one or two, different models than my 2 cars of course. He has a hoist. Does welding and body work. Likes beer. His kids are all grow'd up and gone. Has an independent, un-needy, low maintenance  wife who gets along with my wife....LOL. That there is a match!  I'd get nothing else done around here except we'd have dialed up some of the finest Mopars in the land.

In the mean time this site will have to do.... ;)

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 4.44.06 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Those cars are huge beasts!! Many things about them are different from the regular six cylinder Chrysler. It’s not just that they have the straight 8 but most suspension and brake parts are beefed up and are not interchangeable with the six cylinder Chryslers.  I think front fenders are different too. Pretty amazing cars although like most business coupes, they really are quite impracticable. They look amazing though!

21 hours ago, LazyK said:

little back history

Purchased new by my dad in 1951. Transferred by the Airforce  to Tucson AZ where the car spent the majority of its life. Was dads transportation until 1986 when he passed away. I was the only one of seven siblings to drive the car during high school in the early 70's. Mom kept it parked beside the house until I took possession in 2013 and moved it to Wyoming. I started the teardown in the winter of 2016, the most recent photo was Saturday when I drove it around the block for the first time. Still some loose ends to complete but the end is in sight.

20200821_110325[1].jpg

20161126_134316[1].jpg

I applaud you!! That car is a beauty!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 11:02 AM, keithb7 said:

5:45 AM today. Her first modern hi-way trip. 

D6024E7B-C2CC-4D70-B4DE-42F6578421A9.jpeg

I FIND THE DETAILS.  COLORS, THE WAY IT IS FOCUS AND LIGHTING IS SO PERFECT,, A PROFESSIONAL SHOT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, tjlarson88 said:

I just noticed the cupholder! Very creative ?

Thx. Pretty hard to drive a stick shift, wrestle bias tires with manual steering, use arm turn signals,  and drink a coffee all at the same time.

I go for a lot of relaxing cruises that include coffee. I had to come up with a practical non-permanent  solution!

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 1:04 AM, keithb7 said:

In the northern hemisphere it’s prime cruising season. Pandemic or not, we go out alone if needed, for a little cruise. Many of us wait all year for summer cruising, and its here right now. 

Where have you been lately? Post a pic. Share a story. We’d all love to see your car and hear about it!

Tonight It was warm here. Overcast. After the sunset I felt the urge to go somewhere. Anywhere. I drove less than a mile to my mail box. Checked the mail...Nothing. Saw a photo op. Then took a “long cut” home around my neighborhood. The old dash lit up in the dark is comforting somehow. 

That was my quick cruise tonight. Let’s hear about yours. Pics please!

4EE3F1E9-F957-42B7-927C-634810F348B7.jpeg

Can I use this pic for public domain stuff?