How do I tell which emissions my 1950 coronet has?

Sniderman96

On 7/8/2020 at 8:37 AM, greg g said:

Check another vendor. There were no emmision regs when your car was built.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHVR126?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google

Interesting ... When I clicked on this link NAPA said that this regulator would not fit my 1948 Dodge, but it was available for pickup at my local NAPA store.   How did the NAPA site know that I  own  48 Dodge and where i live.  You should click on the link and see what it says for you.

when you setup a link to napa online you can savea particular car to alwasy be your default car. If you look at the second button on the very top you might see your 1948 dodge listed as the vehicle that you are search for parts in their system.  You can also chnage this to a different car.

Mine link states it will not fit my volvo v70

Rich Hartung

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

when you setup a link to napa online you can savea particular car to alwasy be your default car. If you look at the second button on the very top you might see your 1948 dodge listed as the vehicle that you are search for parts in their system.  You can also chnage this to a different car.

Mine link states it will not fit my volvo v70

Rich Hartung

Yes but it still gives me the option of us or canda emissions options. But a gentleman above gave me the part number i need. 

Screenshot_20200710-205725_Chrome.jpg

I went ahead and tried one more time to set polarity on my voltage regulator and it worked for a few minutes then my meter showed under 0 even with some throttle then would randomly shoot up and it was bouncing around. Confirmed it was sometimes charging with a multimeter on the battery. As I'm not familiar with old 6 volt systems yet is this a sign of a bad generator or voltage regulator? Previous owner installed an 8 volt battery not sure if thats the problem.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

Is 100 amps too much? I know they also make 63 amp alternators as well

1 hour ago, Sniderman96 said:

Is 100 amps too much? I know they also make 63 amp alternators as well

The alternator, regardless of rating, will only supply whatever current is needed to keep the battery charged. Most likely the highest our cars will draw if the battery is healthy is less than 25-ish amps. That will be immediately after a start and the alternator will top up the battery in a minute or so.

I have the 60 amp alternator (negative ground) and it works flawlessly.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

What Sam says is true.  But a 100A alternator gives you room to grow if you want something like a thumping stereo or you plan on running the Baja 500 and need a bunch of high power lights, lol. 

Seriously though, adding a good electric fan can take a 63A unit right to it's limits and maybe past it depending on the rest of the load.  The Ford Contour fan setup, which is a common retrofit draws 40A when both fans are going at max capacity, that's 3500 cfm.  That would leave you with 23A to charge the battery, run the headlights, ignition, wipers, radio, heater fan, other lights.  If you're not planning on an electric fan though, you are probably good.

Of course it it turns out you really need 100A then your wiring needs to be able to handle it.

Thanks alot everyone. I decided to go with a 100 amp alt to rid of my troublesome generator as I do find myself driving a few miles then having to set polarity again (i do check battery with multimeter prior to doing this and it's always low) and it prevents me from taking it on longish rides. Hopefully if I need help in the future you guys are still willing to help a new young guy like myself with such a great classic ride.