How do I tell which emissions my 1950 coronet has?

Sniderman96

I'm trying to order a voltage regulator for my 1950 dodge coronet. It gives me the option of united states emissions or Canada emissions. Pics online show 3 tabs on the side of the regulator with Canada emissions and mine has 3 tabs but it says made in America. Before I purchase I want to know for a fact I'm getting the right part. Is there a specific place to look? Thanks. I'm still new to this vehicle and cars older than 70s.

I’ve not heard of this before. Are you located in the US or Canada and is your car American made? I can’t figure out what emissions have to do with the voltage regulator. Maybe try another vendor and see what they offer. Keep us posted. I’m curious.

I've seen it on a few pages. And the america emissions option has only 2 tabs on the regular. Rock auto. Car id. Random Google searches for 1950 dodge coronet voltage regulator. I was thinking it was an odd question since there were no emissions.

as I stated earlier, it is a homogenized page of comminglingly data that has zero relevance...seems its best attributes is to lend itself to confusion only...it almost to the point that if you go to a parts counter and ask for a quart of Havoline 10w40 they have to ask what year and make car please...that is, if they even use the word please...seems to be a word found only in a dictionary these days.

And what does "professional" mean these days in the after market parts world??

• Like 1

I'm a little rusty on this but as I recall, the generator and voltage regulator need to be matched as they are working together to maintain the battery...if your generator output is greater than the regulator can handle, that's a recipe for letting some smoke out...check the technical information provided with the regulators to verify if it will work with your generator output...

If you go to Standard's website and punch in the part numbers it'll tell you the proper applications.

Apparently, 1950 was a change over year for the Coronet.  If your existing connections have all three on one side of the regulator then you need the VR2, if it's two on one side and the third on the opposite side then you need the VR4.  Standard makes no reference to Canada/US or emissions.  Both have three connectors

According to My autolite catalog yes the regulator is matched to the generator.

So inorder for me to indicate the proper volt reg I need to know what generator is on your car Look at the red tag on the gen and tell me the information:

Like GGU-6001.

From that Info I can tell you the correct Original Autolite Volt regulator to get for your car  also is the car labeled as a d34, d35 or D36 Cnanadian

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I believe what you are looking at is some of them have all 3 connections on one side and some have 2 on one and 1 on the other side.

11 hours ago, Sniderman96 said:

This is off of rock auto. But as my cars regulator has the 3 connectors that's what I'm going to order

20200708_122314.jpg

I think all regulators have all three lugs on one side up to thru 1948.

1949 on have two lugs on one side and the "BAT" on the other side.

16 hours ago, Sniderman96 said:

Okay. Mine has the 3 on one side. Wasnt sure if there was a difference. Thanks everyone for your help. Gonna rebuild the generator and replace the regulator. Hopefully thatll get it charging again. 

Sniderman:  You never replied as to what specific generator that you have on your car. There are several Autolite volt reg that will work on your car but they are matched to your generator. If you provide me with the generator model number I can match up the correct volt regulator for you.

Rich Hartung

On 7/8/2020 at 4:49 PM, desoto1939 said:

According to My autolite catalog yes the regulator is matched to the generator.

So inorder for me to indicate the proper volt reg I need to know what generator is on your car Look at the red tag on the gen and tell me the information:

Like GGU-6001.

From that Info I can tell you the correct Original Autolite Volt regulator to get for your car  also is the car labeled as a d34, d35 or D36 Cnanadian

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Its a GGW-6001

ok her is what is in my Autolite catalog:

1950 D33,d34 GGW-6001A generator  uses vr VBE-6001A sta wagon and 7 pass sedan

the GGW-6001B 1950 D34,d35, D36 Canadian  Gen ggw6001B  used VR VBE6001A

ok vbe-6001A  replaces VRP-4503B, VRP-6004A

vbe-6001A used onthe following cars

Chrysler 49-51

Desoto 49-51

Dodge 49-51

Dodge Truck 48-51

Fargo 48-51

Ply 49-51

There is no picture of this regulator in my catalog so I can not post it.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sniper said:

This is the reasonwhy I have collected the various catalogs and have scanned them onto a PDF document.  Keeping the information alive is important. So that you know what is the correct part for your car.

Rich HArtung

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1