Eneto-55

If your instrument cluster glass was broken, would you replace it with glass again, or plexiglass?  (On the P15 it is just common clear glass, not curved or tinted, etc.  The edges are not even 'dressed'.)  Mine is not broken, but chipped a bit at the corners, and it doesn't come clean real well, so thinking of replacing it, either with plexiglass, or some better quality glass than what was in it.

Sometimes we are smarter to pick and choose our battles..

I would not use plexiglass, actually cost more then glass per square foot, wont last nearly as long as glass will. Would soon get weathered from the sun and scratches from washing it.

Bring your existing glass to a glass shop, they can in a few min cut you out a new piece using old glass for a template.

They will have just the right size piece of glass sitting under the bench, a drop off from a larger job they did not want to throw away.

They will cut it, sand the edges and wrap it up in a pink bow and charge ya $10 ... I may be 30 years off on the prices, but small glass like this is basically labor and takes 10 min.

I doubt you can buy the glass for what a shop will charge you .... I have used glass shops for many years as a carpenter ... I even spent a few months working for one and was the kid in the back room that cut the glass for customers. And today I would go to the shop and have it done, rather then do it myself.

If I can get the glass for free and have it sitting around, thats different, may as well cut it yourself ... if you have to buy it and have it delivered ... just cost more to do it yourself.

Finding a good glass shop is the trick.  I had to replace a simple rectangular 6"x8" pane of glass in my single pane bedroom window.  Took the glass cutter 4 attempts to cut one without breaking it.

Oh, I wasn't thinking of trying to do it myself.  And I already know a good glass shop here close, a place where we've had mirrors made before, beveled edges & all.  My main questions was whether you all would suggest using plexiglass, or going back with glass.  Got my answer, so thanks.

No "idle hands" here.  I was "working" this evening in getting an accurate drawing of the gasket that goes between the cluster shell and the gauges.  Very brittle, and it fell to pieces.  I will 'waste' a bit of time on this, and if I can manage to make an accurate CAD drawing, I may even get it cut out by laser - by a company here I do business with.  Already have a job waiting there to be picked up, in fact.  (Just need to find all of the gasket material I have hoarded, but put away someplace I cannot remember.....)

Edited by Eneto-55

Eneto -- I can relate to the "put it somewhere" thing.  It may  be in one of my bunch of plastic storage boxes....or maybe not.  LOL.

I have typed notes that hang on the end of the boxes nowadays......but I need to go thru all of them and re-organize at least some of

them.   I also started using zip lock plastic freezer bags to group certain things, with notes written on them.  Yep....need further grouping

with other stuff.  One thing I do currently is -- when I buy some Plymouth part, book, or whatever -- I write the price on it that I paid, as well

as date purchased (and sometimes where purchased).  The item may not sell for as much after I'm gone, but the wife and son-in-law will

have an idea of it's worth if they decide to hold a sale.

I realize the above has nothing to do with glass for your dash.....but I would recommend glass over plexiglass.