Hitch in surge brake

pflaming

I want to tow my Sportster behind my Suburban  There are three significant vintage weekends upcoming. I want to drop in. Has any one connected a surge brake into the vehicle to be towed? 

BD68717D-97E4-4D2D-AD04-CB6BA988C9AD.jpeg

are you asking if the surge brake would be inthe car that is being towed on if it would be on the towbar where is connects the hitch?

I know on some camping trailer that did not have the electrical brake connection they did have a braking mechnanism that was at the tongue of the hitch on the trailer.  The big issue is that when you where going down hill the surge brake could then automatically apply the internal brakes on the trailer. When going up hill the pressure on the surge break is released as is the same when traveling on a  regular road.  I do not remember if the sensitivity to automatically apply the brakes to the trailer was changeable or not.

Also check that the system is working properly and to insure that the system frees its self and does not keep the brake applied all the time.

This is taken from days of camping with my mom and dad.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

There are a lot of braking systems designed for 'toad' cars and RVs.  Kind of expensive and specialized.  Truly, I don't think any would apply to your situation as I understand it.  The weight differential of your Suburban and Sportster doesn't seem to require brakes IMO.   trailer or tow dolly surge brakes typically have the surge mechanism incorporated in the hitch and connect to the trailer hydraulics.  Most also incorporate an electrical shutoff wired to the backup lights.  I had one experience with a rental trailer that didn't have the shutoff.  Impossible to back it up a hill.  Personally, I wouldn't want to mess with the fluid connection. My state don't require brakes on the towed trailer or vehicle until the weight is around 3000lbs.  I think most states have similar laws.