Woo-hoo...

Dan Hiebert

...the State finally resurfaced the road our house is on.  Despite how much we like this place, I always cringed whenever I took the ol' D24, Terraplane, or Beetle out because of how bad "B Rd." had become.  Some spots were 10-20 mph or else.  We put WW radials on the D24 last month and really couldn't tell how much of an improvement they were on our road, had to go the 4.5 miles to the main road before the improvement kicked in.  Took the D24 to Houlton's July 4 "People Parade" ( the regular Independence Day parade was cancelled, so "the people" improvised our own socially-distant-traffic-rule-following-no-need-for-a-permit parade), an "Independence Loop" six-miles through town.  It was a hoot, lot's of folks out, lots of cars and trucks in the parade, and our D24 was the oldest participant and got lots of thumbs-up and nice comments.  It was the ol' girl's first trip on the new road.  

1845863917_newroad.JPG.372f89b05e164e842cb447938a33cc6d.JPG

• Like 3

Yep, northern Maine roads tend to be so bad that when a road gets repaved folks will drive to it just to cruise a smooth ride for a bit.  I know I do.  Only thing I think is keeping new traffic down is that ours is a dead end road, ends three miles past our house.  People have been zipping up and down it for sure, but no-one has been patching out on it...yet.  Still, much quieter even with "speeders" and a little more traffic - no ruts, cracks, patches, potholes, heaves, etc. to make suspensions, body mounts, tires, etc. sound off in protest. 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:44 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I thought Maine itself was located on a dead end road....?

No, the road carries on and crosses a line known as the Canada-US border or the thin line between genius and insanity as we jokingly say in Canada.? No offence meant and hopefully none taken. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 7:44 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I thought Maine itself was located on a dead end road....?

Mr. H has roots in southern Illinois and surely knows a dead end road when he sees one.. We got 'em beat, though; there are even more on this side of the river!! 

Once every 25 years, whether it needs it or not...

We have had a crew out front for the past 3 plus weeks, tearing up sidewalk that was installed 5 years ago, milling down asphalt they put in four years ago.  Blocking the mailbox interfering with trash pickup, creating so much dust it was barnfind thick on my cars in the garage to say nothing of the dust outside. They also tore up new drive way sealer we just put down and altered the runoff flow so when it rains,  it all comes down my drive way, instead of into the ditch. They got the under coat paved so that I now have a three inch step up at the street end.  Can't wait for final top coat and perminent striping goes down.  Then I will call them to come out and fix it.  Mean while I found a can of OSHA purple paint and bit by bit, I'm painting the bridge railing for them 4 or 5 feet every night.

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I will venture to say you have to be insane to live even further north than tip of Maine......❄️

I will buy that argument during the dead of winter. ? Rest of the year it’s pretty decent up here. 

How's the skeeters up there?

Down here we don't have much worry about them.

Heat however, forecast for the next week

Friday - 101

Saturday - 105

Sunday - 108

Monday - 106

Tuesday - 105

Wednesday (cold front rolls in) - 102

Thursday - 100

But it's a dry heat

Not many skeeters this year. So much depends on weather conditions. Some years you can get eaten alive. Best thing to drive them away are those old fashioned mosquito coils that slow burn. I’ve tried everything and they’re still the best. 

those slow burning coils were a hit at the drive in theaters when I was much younger and of course when the theater were in their heyday....I have not seen any in such a long time....but then again, I have not looked for them either...I use the citronella oil/candles about the patio. 

Not only am I familiar with southern Illinois dead ends, I graduated HS in Presidio, TX, where what used to be billed as the "longest dead end road in Texas" started - HWY 170 west to Ruidosa (Texas, sometimes confused with Ruidoso, NM, though it's hard to see how).   We got bugs here in northern Maine, and it seems that most of them bite, and the bigger ones scoff at any bug repellent with less than 25% DEET.  Maybe one week of uncomfortable summer weather. 

Our town has virtually eradicated mosquitoes vs decades past. Proactive abatement, plus public education and the release of sterile males has killed them off.

Of course right now we're into our second month of desert heat, and it's quite dry except where irrigated.

Also they just re-topped our streets and it is nice. :D

They did it on a hot Wednesday, 18 years ago, and the next morning at 6am the garbage truck came and tore it all up in our cul de sac. Nobody ever fixed it either.

So garbage day has not changed in 20 years, and I had a fit when I discovered that the city scheduled it on a Wednesday again!  Oh crap!

Fortunately, it was cooler this time and the road had time to cure over night. Also, garbage collection was delayed a couple hours, which also helped, and I think the road crews had a talk with the drivers, because this time there was no damage at all. A beautiful job overall, and quite visible from my front bay window.

EDIT...I was gonna post a photo, but I realized my neighbor's one-ton fire engine red GMC was parked right in the photo.

It looks beautiful against the green lawn and blacktop and yellow posies. But it's a GM and it's so big and red. I didn't want Plymouthy to have one of those epileptic episodes nor nuthin'.

Edited by Ulu

Evidently not. At least nobody's ever said anything to me in person . . .

And it's probably worse than you imagine. We have a cul-de-sac on each end of the block..

You must enter from a cross street in the middle.

Anyhow, once I get the fins attached, this will be the best defended cul-de-sac in Cul-E-Fernya.

t100rcbs.jpg.1bd66ef32c89d849be3dd751a0931f4e.jpg

I was gonna set this off on the 4th, but there was already plenty going off.

I live in the section of town where all the streets are named after classic authors.

Keats, Burns, Shelly, Scott, Twain, Poe, Swift, Shaw . . . those guys.

Which is strange for a rodeo town, but then there are lots of poet-cowboys.

3 hours ago, Ulu said:

I live in the section of town where all the streets are named after classic authors.

Keats, Burns, Shelly, Scott, Twain, Poe, Swift, Shaw . . . those guys.

Which is strange for a rodeo town, but then there are lots of poet-cowboys.

There is a subdivision in a town ear here where all the streets are named for classic cars.  Pretty neat....

• Thanks 1