Flathead Distributor / Oil Pump Clocking Question

When a pump is put in, you turn pump drive shaft until the slot in the end of the drive shaft lines up with the cap screw holes in the mounting flange. Then turn drive gear one tooth counter-clock wise. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

When a pump is put in, you turn pump drive shaft until the slot in the end of the drive shaft lines up with the cap screw holes in the mounting flange. Then turn drive gear one tooth counter-clock wise. 

Thanks 9 foot!  I'm pretty sure mine is in correctly? With #1 piston @ TDC compression stroke my distributor rotor is pointing close to the proverbial 7 o'clock position, but it's off a bit. More like 8 o'clock. I'm wondering if a one tooth rotation on the oil pump could correct that?

1 hour ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Thanks 9 foot!  I'm pretty sure mine is in correctly? With #1 piston @ TDC compression stroke my distributor rotor is pointing close to the proverbial 7 o'clock position, but it's off a bit. More like 8 o'clock. I'm wondering if a one tooth rotation on the oil pump could correct that?

If you look at 9 foot's procedure carefully, it may be that the last step was omitted, or the second adjustment on the bottom of the distributor housing can be used to correct it.

• Thanks 1

Yes

2 hours ago, kencombs said:

If you look at 9 foot's procedure carefully, it may be that the last step was omitted, or the second adjustment on the bottom of the distributor housing can be used to correct it.

Thanks Ken! I agree that the last step could have been omitted. I was hoping someone may know roughly how much rotation at the distributor would occur if the oil pump is moved by one tooth? I'm being lazy and hoping not to pull the pump and find out I didn't have to.

1 hour ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Yes

Thanks Ken! I agree that the last step could have been omitted. I was hoping someone may know roughly how much rotation at the distributor would occur if the oil pump is moved by one tooth? I'm being lazy and hoping not to pull the pump and find out I didn't have to.

Check the bottom of  your distributor to see if it has a small screw/bolt holding the advance adjustment to the dist body.  If so loosen it and see if it can be moved further.  I alluded to that in my earlier post but didn't add enough detail.

You can see the bolt in this pic:image.png.03f4d553dc2747b006bcd91b8535cc52.png

I would assume that each tooth moves the rotation 36 degree’s, with a 10 tooth gear. You might have to loosen the distributor from the the lock plate to get a suitable range of advance/retard. As to your #5 post. Three of my running engines have the #1 plug wire to the right of the cap hold down clip.

30 minutes ago, 9 foot box said:

I would assume that each tooth moves the rotation 36 degree’s, with a 10 tooth gear. You might have to loosen the distributor from the the lock plate to get a suitable range of advance/retard. As to your #5 post. Three of my running engines have the #1 plug wire to the right of the cap hold down clip.

Thanks 9 foot!  That sounds logical. I was not certain of the tooth count. 360/12=30 degrees for each hour of the clock. Fairly close to 36 degrees.  Sounds plausible that my pump might be out by one tooth? I guess I'll find out when I get the distributor rebuild finished and see how it works out.

5 hours ago, kencombs said:

Check the bottom of  your distributor to see if it has a small screw/bolt holding the advance adjustment to the dist body.  If so loosen it and see if it can be moved further.  I alluded to that in my earlier post but didn't add enough detail.

You can see the bolt in this pic:image.png.03f4d553dc2747b006bcd91b8535cc52.png

Thanks Ken! I have an earlier distributor. It has a different hold down clamp then the one in your photo. Mine does have some additional  adjustment but it's limited due to a grease cup that will hit the side of the block if rotated too far. With options of oil pump gear, rotating wire locations, and the hold down clamp being adjustable, I'm certain I'll get it right, but this sure can be confusing!