Tick tick tick

I was going to go for a drive this morning, but when I cranked the B3C up, I noticed ticking - tick, tick, tick. This 218 was rebuilt 3 years ago but has only been running since last August and has maybe 500 miles on it. I drove it yesterday and it ran quiet and steady. Oil pressure is steady at 40, temperature 180, once it warmed up.

Is this something that is normal with these flatheads, or should I worry since it came on all of the sudden?

-roland

I think thats why they claim they run like a sewing machine .... anyone listen to a sewing machine run knows they tick all over the place.  :P

Personally I think it just wants to be driven more, maybe 500 miles in a year? ... maybe is time for valve adjustment ... I would be hesitant to touch anything until driven more often.

• Like 2

You can stick one end of a 3/8” rubber hose in your ear and use the other end as a probe to listen for exhaust leaks around the manifold and later connections. You can stick the handle of a long screwdriver firmly over your ear hole and touch the block to try and isolate/locate an internal noise. 

The first method will show you if you need an exhaust re-torque or gasket. The second can help find a loosening valvetrain and tell you where to look. 

Good luck and happy 4th!

• Like 1

unless you have lifter that are new or reconditioned...the long term use allows for a slight bit of uneven wear.....when adjusting, your gauge is on one segment and when the lifter rotates...it is now on another value...as stated you are so so close in adjustment and you can work this out with another adjustment....it is better the hear them than to burn them but if you are that picky...only a revisit to the crime scene will suffice.  You call here...light tick will not damage anything....no tick could lead to a burnt valve.  KNOW the values of the internal components to determine if feasible to get all tick out of the valvetrain.  

• Thanks 1