Sterring wheel and power steering

Dryerventwizard

The original setup has the steering box & column mounted together, with the shift mechanism attached to the column.........I'd suggest checking with Ididit and Flaming River to get an idea as to a similar type of steering box from them...........in my Oz 1940 Dodge  I used a rack & pinion and home fabricated column based on a 1960's Valiant upper column, but its not a tilt column, nor is it power steered..........there are a number of aftermarket power steering boxes available and the main concern will be the size  and what engine you are using and clearancve issues..........have attached a couple of pics of my setup but as its RHD and a 318 Poly V8 there won't be a lot of direct ideas to help but its not impossible to do, my car has had the V8 since 1973 and works well...........Andy Douglas  

P1010405.JPG

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

The original setup has the steering box & column mounted together, with the shift mechanism attached to the column.........I'd suggest checking with Ididit and Flaming River to get an idea as to a similar type of steering box from them...........in my Oz 1940 Dodge  I used a rack & pinion and home fabricated column based on a 1960's Valiant upper column, but its not a tilt column, nor is it power steered..........there are a number of aftermarket power steering boxes available and the main concern will be the size  and what engine you are using and clearancve issues..........have attached a couple of pics of my setup but as its RHD and a 318 Poly V8 there won't be a lot of direct ideas to help but its not impossible to do, my car has had the V8 since 1973 and works well...........Andy Douglas  

P1010405.JPG

P1000806 (800x600).jpg

It would be good to get an idea as to exactly what you have done to your car, ie, engine/trans, brakes etc and any other mods done or plannned as then we maybe able to give some better advice or at least look as tho' we know what we are doing.......lol.......seriously tho' I learnt basically by watching and looking at what others had done with their cars at rod runs, shows and via magazines........I joined the local hot rod club as soon as I left school and became the "young pest"......asking lots of questions and learning that way.........but I still did some things more than once and also some stupid things like...........when I set the Poly V8 in the chassis I did try to mount it so that I could still use the original steering box and column to the extent that I even cut one of the engine mount "tabs" or "ears" off the engine block............lol..........now being RHD it was your "passenger" side ear that got the chop.......so consequently I had to make the right hand side engine mount bracket with a extra tab that used a bolt that went around the edge of the block and used a tapped hole in the head to secure that side engine mount.........and still didn't have enough space to fit the steering box.......although in hindsight( a wonderful thing) I could have and should have mounted the engine like mother mopar did when installing V8's......mounted the engine offset to one side .......but we live and learn...........I ended up using a Morris Minor rack & pinion at first for a couple of years but replaced it with a stronger and narrowed 9" rack & pinion from an Austin 1800 which being FWD was a much stronger rack overall........as mentioned there were some things I redid a few times.......lol.........but its been basically as shown pretty much as seen for the past 40 yrs.............anyway give us some more info as to what you have done or plan to do & we'll see what assistanmce we can be...........and anyway I like to see pics of as many 1940 Dodges as possible...........lol...........hers a couple of mine...........regards, Andy Douglas      

P1000695 (800x600).jpg

I have tryed to put pictures in but it keeps telling me they are to big.  I have 2 1940 dodges 1 I am keeping all original and has similar brown to yours. The other one I am turning in to a hot rod. I am going to put 318  and transmission. I have found a motor and transmission mounts kit for 1940 dodge. I am putting disc brake conversion kit that bolts right on. I am going to put dodge dakota rearend with disc brakes. I am also going to buy conversion kit that bolts on for power brakes. I am going to put 12 volt everything. After market universal tilt steering. And I am looking for after market bucket seats for front and after market bench seat fo back. Skinny tires in front and fat tires in back. I am going to roll rear fenders. No number front and I am looking at trying to find a way to convert rear number closer to car or no rear number. And so far that what I want to do.

1 hour ago, normanpitkin said:

i wonder if anyone has fitted the new style electronic power steering?

Thought about it till I realized it would probably require that I lose the column shift and passed on it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dryerventwizard said:

I have tryed to put pictures in but it keeps telling me they are to big.  I have 2 1940 dodges 1 I am keeping all original and has similar brown to yours. The other one I am turning in to a hot rod. I am going to put 318  and transmission. I have found a motor and transmission mounts kit for 1940 dodge. I am putting disc brake conversion kit that bolts right on. I am going to put dodge dakota rearend with disc brakes. I am also going to buy conversion kit that bolts on for power brakes. I am going to put 12 volt everything. After market universal tilt steering. And I am looking for after market bucket seats for front and after market bench seat fo back. Skinny tires in front and fat tires in back. I am going to roll rear fenders. No number front and I am looking at trying to find a way to convert rear number closer to car or no rear number. And so far that what I want to do.

I think these new phones have such clarity in taking pictures that they use to much space in creating a file. Have found if I want to post a photo that is too big I send it too myself via text then save it to file it then converts it to a file that is way smaller in size. There may be better ways to do this but that is beyond my skill level with this technology......

If your search on U-Tube for: electric power steering conversation-How to's, there are at least two that document doing the conversation that retains the original steer column and the column shifter. Not on Mopars however, but the methods are the same.

BTW, it is a drawn out process especially if also wanting to retain the original steer wheel and horn function as original but parts pieces are available in the aftermarket with some searching.

I researched this for a while while seeing if a friend with a 47 Ply. Bus, Cpe. would like to do this change.  If I could have done the work he may have gone for it but physically I could not and he was unwilling to be the Grunt labor! ?

DJ

Dryer.......the brown one does look like a very nice car to keep original, its interesting to see the differences between the US Dodge and my car which was an Oz assembled car with an Oz made body shell by T J Richards in Adelaide, South Australia who became the Chrysler Australia company.........my car uses Plymouth fenders, headlights, tailights,hood, bumpers, & wheelbase/chassis but Dodge grille, RHD dash & badges..............just a question tho'..........what is your cars grille made from and how does it attach to the sheet metal?..........reason I ask is that  with the sheet metal used on my car the grille is attached to it via small screws inserted from BEHIND the grille accessed via a removeable panel in front of the radiator.......BUT your car with the large "nose cone" would make that impossible.........so does your cars grille attach with screws from in front?...........and what is it made of........those here in Oz for 1940 Dodges were all made from brass stampings, soldered together............anyway great to see more 1940 Dodges..........and I just realised that your grille appears to be smaller than my cars, note the width and distance from the side of the grille to the fender seam on mine and your cars.............interesting.............Andyd  

P1000700 (800x600).jpg

This is with grill removed those are the screw holes from front.i have to find new screws. I have a better grill to put on after I pull the flat six. Getting it ready for 318. Then I am going to have the flat six rebuilt and painted and put in my original  dodge. That motor runs great and only has 50000 on it. But I wont a rebuilt one in the original 1940 dodge that I have.

21372.jpeg