Power Wagon Mods

As I mention another thread, I’m now the proud owner of 3 PWs. Now comes the time to decide what to do with them. My goals are to have them

(1) get up to freeway speeds in short order and to brake similarly as they may be city trucks. 

(2) have a comfortable ride - not like a car.... but smoother than an old truck. 
(3) have some creature comforts such as a/c, heat and a nice radio

Here are some of my initial thoughts: these are all 1954-1958 trucks. I’m told by the PO that 1 or two of them should’ve too difficult to get running. They all have their original 230 Flatheads. 

my concern is that even if I could get them all started and running well, that the “get up and go” may not be there as these trucks weigh close to 6000 lbs curb weight (without passengers or payload). I know I can do some fairly easy mods that may help a bit such as duel intakes, progressive carbs and duel exhaust, but I don’t know how those mods compare to (dare I say here) an engine swap with a 330 for which the PW suppliers have kits for and are somewhat common (or a Cummins diesel). 

even if I get the power I need from the engine, I’m not sure it will translate to the wheels as the differential is set up for more low end torque... which I’m not quite sure if/how to resolve. 

I have know idea where to start on the suspension 

then there are smaller things to sort such as the accelerator pedal is somewhat on the tunnel, which I find odd. Is that similar to other trucks? Does it just get taking used to or do I change to a hanging pedal box (again which the PW suppliers have pre made)

advice and opinions are welcome and sought 

6E79CABE-A2B9-4C1D-815E-E7BFA54242E8.jpeg

Edited by JSabah

I think this may be the time to consider a frame swap with a modern 4x4 truck.

Everything you want and is fine, is exactly opposite of what the power wagon was built for. Seems like you would need to change everything, gearing, axles, suspension, drivetrain.

I myself am not a fan of frame swaps, think this would be a good choice for "this truck" Then I picture a suburban or pilot house sitting on the leftover power wagon frame  :D

Why not just get one running in decent stock condition, less work, time, money and drive it ... evaluate the freeway cruiser then while driving one.

Going to see if I can find it, seems Jay Lenno did a episode where some guy was building what you are talking about,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c68L_tieVs

Fwiw I wouldn't even try making a stock frame 1 ton Pilothouse a freeway flyer here in SoCal. I don't think you could get the ride quality you are after out of the larger Pilothouse let alone a relatively stock Power Wagon chassis.

I drive my very nice riding 3/4 ton Pilothouse on the Freeway from time to time.......but there are some stretch's that you need to be able to get up into the 80's to merge safely and quite frankly it is not at all fun. Or all that safe.

This just my opinion........but I drive my truck every day in our traffic so I think I do have useful insight.

I love the way the Power Wagons look btw. I just know a stock chassis one is not going to get much use in the LA area.

Jeff

You have 3 (lucky).  As stated get #1 running and see where you wanna go.  I'm guessing at a minimum you will end up with a powertrain swap out....likely frame as well.  These bad boys weren't made for speed or comfort really.

I owned a '56 C-3 about 25 years ago.  It was as slow as a turtle.  You're not gonna go anywhere fast with the original running gear.  But maybe get one of the three to go fast for starters and see how it goes ?

With enough time and more importantly...$$$$$$, you can modify them for greater freeway speeds creature comforts etc. The original running gear is good for a cruise speed of around 40-45 max.  They were built for off road not on road driving. Good luck in your endeavor.