46-47 WC Series Synchromesh 3 sp transmission?

I am looking at some pre war WC trucks.

Did the post war 46-47 3 speed units come with syncromesh in 2nd and 3rd?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I am looking at some pre war WC trucks.

Did the post war 46-47 3 speed units come with syncromesh in 2nd and 3rd?

Thanks

I believe the early job rated trucks might have been non syncro. My 46 is syncro

15 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I believe the early job rated trucks might have been non syncro. My 46 is syncro

Thanks there is a local 42 that is non syncro and a 47 that is 5 hours away that I am hoping will have the syncro era 3 speed

31 minutes ago, 1949 Wraith said:

Thanks there is a local 42 that is non syncro and a 47 that is 5 hours away that I am hoping will have the syncro era 3 speed

These trucks could also have a 4spd which would be non syncro. 

My 39 Plymouth PT81 was non syncro. It was not fun to drive. I imagine if I drove it everyday and got used to double clutching it probably wouldn't be so bad? I really struggled with downshifting.   I ended up installing a Borg Warner T5. It's much more pleasant to shift and drive now. 

8 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

My 39 Plymouth PT81 was non syncro. It was not fun to drive. I imagine if I drove it everyday and got used to double clutching it probably wouldn't be so bad? I really struggled with downshifting.   I ended up installing a Borg Warner T5. It's much more pleasant to shift and drive now. 

I have a T5 out of an S10. Much of a hastle adapting? The overdrive would be a bonus.

1 hour ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I have a T5 out of an S10. Much of a hastle adapting? The overdrive would be a bonus.

Well, I guess that depends if you enjoy doing big projects, your skill level, and how much time and patience you have. I am a machinist by trade. I enjoyed doing it, but yes it was a hassle and took a lot longer than I expected. I removed the bell housing and drilled and tapped mounting holes on a milling machine. I had the drum emergency brake on the rear of my original gearbox, so I also installed a differential out of a Jeep Cherokee in order to get emergency brakes along with more modern self adjusting rear brakes and better gear ratio. This required repositioning the spring perches (welding) Had to fabricate a emergency brake mount and custom length brake cables. Custom driveshaft was needed. Fabricated a new floorboard. There were several smaller issues as well. I'm also too fussy for my own good and that added to the time it takes me trying to get everything looking perfect. It was an effort, but my truck is much more fun to drive now. I have no regrets. There's lots of information on installing S10 T5s in our old Mopars.

DSCN2015.JPG

7 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Well, I guess that depends if you enjoy doing big projects, your skill level, and how much time and patience you have. I am a machinist by trade. I enjoyed doing it, but yes it was a hassle and took a lot longer than I expected. I removed the bell housing and drilled and tapped mounting holes on a milling machine. I had the drum emergency brake on the rear of my original gearbox, so I also installed a differential out of a Jeep Cherokee in order to get emergency brakes along with more modern self adjusting rear brakes and better gear ratio. This required repositioning the spring perches (welding) Had to fabricate a emergency brake mount and custom length brake cables. Custom driveshaft was needed. Fabricated a new floorboard. There were several smaller issues as well. I'm also too fussy for my own good and that added to the time it takes me trying to get everything looking perfect. It was an effort, but my truck is much more fun to drive now. I have no regrets. There's lots of information on installing S10 T5s in our old Mopars.

DSCN2015.JPG

One of the trucks I am considering is registered as a 1944 and a beautiful restoration other thatn the original olive green. It would be a shame to mess with the originality. I have my '51 that has a modern rear end in that I drive a lot and can handle highway speeds.

3 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

My '51 is a three on the tree, non-syncro. I've learned how to double clutch. Not that big a deal. 

I had a 1964 MGB 48 years ago,  that the syncro in second had been chewed out, so I had to double clutch back then. I live on a rural highway I'm just thinking these fancy tractors are going to be passing me while i'm going thought the gears. :)

6 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

My '51 is a three on the tree, non-syncro. I've learned how to double clutch. Not that big a deal. 

I let an old timer mechanic friend of my dad drive my truck prior to installing the T5. He could shift the thing flawlessly. He could even shift it without using the clutch somehow by speed, sound, and feel?  I swear it to be true. Left to my own devises, I was going to make gear soup out of the thing. The horrible sound of grinding gears! Yikes!

3 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

One of the trucks I am considering is registered as a 1944 and a beautiful restoration other thatn the original olive green. It would be a shame to mess with the originality. I have my '51 that has a modern rear end in that I drive a lot and can handle highway speeds.

Yes, I agree. Some vehicles should be kept original as possible. I am a purist at heart. My truck was a basket case when we first started working on it. So, I don't feel too bad about upgrading some things. All modifications have been made so that it could be returned to stock. I have saved all the original parts as well. I have respect for the fabrication skills and engineering talent some street rodder's have, but it really irritates me when they take a beautiful original car and cut it up. Should be a law they have to use junk yard bodies. Lols!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

I let an old timer mechanic friend of my dad drive my truck prior to installing the T5. He could shift the thing flawlessly. He could even shift it without using the clutch somehow by speed, sound, and feel?  I swear it to be true. Left to my own devises, I was going to make gear soup out of the thing. The horrible sound of grinding gears! Yikes!

When I first got my first car, a '56 Ford, w/a 3 on the tree, my father showed me that he could shift w/o using the clutch by speed & sound. I was a novice at a clutch, so, I didn't get the nuance. However, w/no training at all, I got right in a drove it immediately w/o stalling. 

On 7/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, Dodgeed said:

Really? My 46 is a syncro 3spd but floor shifted

On 7/5/2020 at 9:11 PM, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

I put a deposit on this 1942 Fargo today. Owner took me out for a drive and he shifted it like it had syncro. Then again he owned it for 41 years 

IMG_20200708_162028.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949 Wraith said:

I put a deposit on this 1942 Fargo today. Owner took me out for a drive and he shifted it like it had syncro. Then again he owned it for 41 years 

IMG_20200708_162028.jpg

Wow! That truck is sweet!  Is she as good as it looks in the photo? I know it breaks all rules of etiquette, but I'd sure like to know what these trucks sell for? Then I can tell my son How much to ask for mine after I kick the bucket. Lols!

1 hour ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

Wow! That truck is sweet!  Is she as good as it looks in the photo? I know it breaks all rules of etiquette, but I'd sure like to know what these trucks sell for? Then I can tell my son How much to ask for mine after I kick the bucket. Lols!

I've seen some really nice ones go mid to high 20s at auction. I'd say that's probably still a little on the high side

11 hours ago, PT81PlymouthPickup said:

The truck is a 35 year old restoration that has harfly been used. Previous owner had it for 41 years. She a good base and will clean up nice. Bondo in the fenders, but the running boards and cab are fantastic. I think I would like to tone down the red by painting the fenders and boards black.

Just make sure your son knows, not to sell if for what you told your wife you paid for it.;)

15 minutes ago, 1949 Wraith said:

The truck is a 35 year old restoration that has harfly been used. Previous owner had it for 41 years. She a good base and will clean up nice. Bondo in the fenders, but the running boards and cab are fantastic. I think I would like to tone down the red by painting the fenders and boards black.

Just make sure your son knows, not to sell if for what you told your wife you paid for it.;)

I'm certainly a fan of red and black trucks! You could start with just the running boards and the little filler panel under the bed. I believe stock those were always black. Dad painted his 40 maroon with those pieces and headlights black.

Edited by Young Ed
Photo issues

1 hour ago, 1949 Wraith said:

My wife left me shortly after she found out how much I paid to have mine painted. Lols!  Well, there were other issues, but that bill sure didn't help. If I look at it practically, considering time, effort, and money, my truck is a big loser. But, for me anyhow, it's not about that. It's about having and driving history with a cool factor. Your new truck is cool no matter how much you paid.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

I'm certainly a fan of red and black trucks! You could start with just the running boards and the little filler panel under the bed. I believe stock those were always black. Dad painted his 40 maroon with those pieces and headlights black.

Ed I couldn't agree more!  Red and Black rules!  Lols!

DSCN2014.JPG

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dodgeed said:

To each his own, of course, but I really like the all red look, w/the whitewalls. Really nice. 

Oh, and he is mine, for comparison:

51Dodge.jpg.606968b6e670c9a543862adc9d1337d7.jpg

Even yours has white grill and black running boards. I think his with the running boards and headlights black would be great

• Like 1