I need help checking my trans fluid 1950 coronet gyro matic

Sniderman96

hello guys very new member. I've done alot of searching on the internet about checking the fluid in my transmission and have gotten nowhere. Its a 1950 coronet with the gyro matic. It grinds between the shifts and it grinds for about 7 seconds before shifting. I usually have to clutch then take it out of high then return to high for a clean shift. Is it more than likely fluid or is there something I should be looking at first? Thanks guys and I hope this new journey of mine into the world of 50's dodges is a good one!

Check out the repair section of the Imperial Club website,they have an extensive amount of technical info and trouble shooting guide for the M 6 transmission.  These things are pretty bulletproof.  Most faults usually occur from rusty connections, bad circuits, and not internal mechanical issues.

• Like 1

Can’t really check the fluid level. There are 3 plugs on the right side of the trans. Top is fill, bottom is drain, middle is for tightening the shift fork. The manual says to drain and refill until fluid comes out of the fill hole. Not very high tech, lol. I agree that the idle is too high. Set at 450-475 and see if that works. The Imperial website has a great deal of material for this trans. I have a 52 coronet so I’m very familiar with this trans. Good luck and keep us posted.

I was in a bad car accident last week that almost took my life so when I feel a little better i'll be jacking the car up and checking out everything underneath as well as going through brake system since brake pedal doesn't come up on its own. I have to pull it back up with my foot. And then check charging system. Someone put an 8 volt battery in the car instead of the 6 volt battery. But even on my little cruises around the back roads I live on shifting gets complicated due to that grinding and it taking about 7 seconds to shift. I have alot to learn about these cars.