Subtle roofline shave

50mech

Preparing to do a bit of a roofline shave on the 50sd. The one part of the body I don't really like is the sort of apparent hump at the rear of the roof.

I've determined that

1. The roof angles slightly upward as it goes rearward.

2. Although the front and rear of the C pillar are parallel the angle of the rear glass doesn't quite follow that line.

So the plan is to make an angled cut at the bottom of the C pillar horizontally. Another angled cut vertically. This will angle the rear window slightly forward but also drop the level of the roof at the very rear. So I'm going to make a long wedge cut up to right around the back of the door along the side of the roofline to drop it down to meet the new height at the back.

We're looking at only around an inch but I think it will make a nice but subtle difference. I had some rustholes around the bottom of the rear window to weld new metal into and figured as long as I'm welding I might as well take care of this one part of the body that I think kills it's style a bit.

Just having the back glass out so that it seems as though the final rear vertical silhouette is parallel to the angle of the back side windows makes it look better to me.

Process pics to follow.

IMG_20200613_135856023_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

This one will be pretty subtle. Id thought of chopping just an inch or two as well but I'm too lazy to make a pocket for the back glass on this one. It will never be a hot rod anyhow but the roofline to me strikes me as being similar to Mr Magoo's convertible, just want to take some of that rise out of the back.

Good thinking 'tho there may be some here who will be offended.  I love the idea of subtle modifications that retain, but refine, the character of the original statement.  Makes for a lot of work that many will miss,.... which is great fun.  Go for it!!!!  And, please share progress pics.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 9:27 PM, Sniper said:

Parked next to my 51 I have a 65 Cuda.  The 51 looks like it is twice as tall as the Cuda, so a shave might be the ticket.

cambridge v cuda.jpg

Like em both! I have a 65 as well. Bought a basket case. 

31CF5561-DD18-4909-82FF-8DE828149509.jpeg

• Like 1

Well no real progress on the shave yet, though I did start to repair the rust holes. Welded in a small piece of new 22ga sheet metal, pic is before I reground the curve to the correct shape.

Note the lead filler where the trunk deck joins the side panel , I think this is factory....but not positive. Looking from the underside in the trunk you can see where it was flanged and spot welded.

IMG_20200705_141836612 (1).jpg

IMG_20200705_142025324 (1).jpg

Also I'm certainly no master of welding but I get by.... Currently using a Lincoln sp100, c25 gas, .030 wire. Kind of fudging it with .030. I'll switch to .024 when I run this spool out. If you look close you can see the edge of the weld, this is because the patch panel I hammered out doesn't match the curve 100 percent, comes in a hair sharp so I've got about a 1/32" dip right at the weld,  revealed by running a fiber disc straight across it.

10 hours ago, Ulu said:

I can't imagine doing all that work to wind up with a sedan.

Cut the whole damn top off!

;)

I'd probably give serious consideration to making a removable fiberglass hardtop...... maybe on a different car.

I appreciate subtle changes to the original designs as well.  Supposedly, when everyone else was making their cars sleeker,  ol' Walter P. himself insisted that a gentleman should be able to wear his hat while in Chrysler product cars, therefore, that roofline that caused MoPars of the time to be considered "stodgy" - despite his design folks attempts to convince him otherwise.  I think of that every time I see early '50s MoPars, and appreciate the thought Walter put into them...but I also still think they look a bit clunky.  But, that's also part of the charm...    

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I appreciate subtle changes to the original designs as well.  Supposedly, when everyone else was making their cars sleeker,  ol' Walter P. himself insisted that a gentleman should be able to wear his hat while in Chrysler product cars, therefore, that roofline that caused MoPars of the time to be considered "stodgy" - despite his design folks attempts to convince him otherwise.  I think of that every time I see early '50s MoPars, and appreciate the thought Walter put into them...but I also still think they look a bit clunky.  But, that's also part of the charm...    

Walter was gone by then but I've heard that same story of his predecessor. 

13 hours ago, Ulu said:

I can't imagine doing all that work to wind up with a sedan.

Cut the whole damn top off!

;)

Good thing he has a coupe!

• Like 1

I can appreciate the sedan for what it's for.

It just looks too wasted for me to consider restoring when it could be custom.

I like removable hardtops, and I don't have a problem with ragtops either.

Once you finish all that work, you won't park it anywhere I wouldn't park my ragtop. ;)

(Don't ask what. It's so OT I'd get banned just for buying it if anyone knew.)

ANYHooo....That car might make a nice ragtop MoPaRanchero

Or El CaMoParino....? Chrysler never made a city slicker pickup.

25 minutes ago, Ulu said:

I can appreciate the sedan for what it's for.

It just looks too wasted for me to consider restoring when it could be custom.

I like removable hardtops, and I don't have a problem with ragtops either.

Once you finish all that work, you won't park it anywhere I wouldn't park my ragtop. ;)

(Don't ask what. It's so OT I'd get banned just for buying it if anyone knew.)

ANYHooo....That car might make a nice ragtop MoPaRanchero

Or El CaMoParino....? Chrysler never made a city slicker pickup.

R A M P A G E 

image.png.19afe377282fa838e7c6441fd4e4321d.png

Lot of work there ... I am no fabricator. Just thinking out loud, whatever you do will be a lot of work. On one hand, just fix it back to original seems like the path to less work.

Trying to duplicate / repair the window frame with out a replacement patch panel ... looks like a nightmare.  Might run a classified add here and see if one is available?

Makes me wonder if a guy might take a different rear window ... A 40 ford? Do they have aftermarket window frames available? Then fit it in .... Just find something you think would look good and you can order and make it work.  Maybe you can go to local wrecking yard, with a battery operated grinder and bring home a rear roof section from a Cadillac with glass for a few dollars?

Whatever you do, you just need to put a lot of love in this repair ... how much love is up to you

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

R A M P A G E 

Oh yes, thanks a bundle. I had totally forgot that ugly rubber-faced muther. And no wonder...OMG!

Now that you've reminded me, I'll have to forget it all over again. That thing was styled by a sadist.

They got even uglier if you parked them in the sun.

Fortunately, they sold so few, and the rest couldn't pass the smog checks, so now there's no credible chance of ever having to see one on the street.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, Los_Control said:

image.png.19afe377282fa838e7c6441fd4e4321d.png

Lot of work there ... I am no fabricator. Just thinking out loud, whatever you do will be a lot of work. On one hand, just fix it back to original seems like the path to less work.

Trying to duplicate / repair the window frame with out a replacement patch panel ... looks like a nightmare.  Might run a classified add here and see if one is available?

Makes me wonder if a guy might take a different rear window ... A 40 ford? Do they have aftermarket window frames available? Then fit it in .... Just find something you think would look good and you can order and make it work.  Maybe you can go to local wrecking yard, with a battery operated grinder and bring home a rear roof section from a Cadillac with glass for a few dollars?

Whatever you do, you just need to put a lot of love in this repair ... how much love is up to you

It's really not a bad repair. I suspect a great many have rust in this area under the trim and window rubber, in fact only the rust on top of the side panel was really visible with the trim on.

The shave will be slightly more complex but not as complex as fitting a different window unless it were smaller and flat. Making one compound curve fit another compound curve can get tricky.

In any case here it was before I started getting ready for body and paint.

Had four or five previous paint jobs I was not going to go over top of.

When the roof job is done I'll finish knocking the paint back to a reasonable thickness, epoxy seal, polyester prime, gunmetal metallic base, Brandywine candy top coat, 10/90 tie coat with a tiny amount of gold pearl, silver/gold pinstripe design on trunk and hood, clear.  Then on to changing the interior to cream/tan and putting in a/c and stereo in a custom molded center console.

IMG_20200516_115242972.jpg

IMG_20200516_115232297.jpg

Edited by 50mech

11 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Please put the hood ornament on right side up after you paint :)

Haha, neither that mayflower emblem nor where it says Plymouth on both ends will be returning. They are some of the chrome in the worst condition.

Those areas are where the pinstripe design will be.

Edited by 50mech

• 3 weeks later...

All right , bubble gone.

Ended up making the cut above the windows go from 1.5" in the back to .5" in the front, right over the vent window where it already starts dropping. Then scooting the top forward to match rather than cutting off the extra where leaning the top of the rear window forward made extra room. Made for an overall pretty level roofline.

You can see the big difference in the rear shot with one side mocked up.

I love the new profile....now a bunch of tacking and adjusting. A little filler strip under the rear window and she'll be  a lot closer to paint.

I'll pull it out and get a better profile pic once it's all welded up.

It did more for it than I thought it would...very pleased with the shape. It took out the sharp upper outside corners better than anticipated and I think improved the stodgyness a lot.

IMG_20200802_164440856_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200802_152739727_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200802_164425861.jpg

Edited by 50mech