Odds and Ends for the B4B

Three more questions today:

1-    First pic shows the dust covers from the Front Wheel Spring shackles, and I'm missing some of them. Can you get these without buying a whole new shackle anywhere? I haven't found them yet.

2-    2nd Pic is a "curved" washer that goes on the shock shackle between nut and rubber thing,  and I'm missing a couple. Another oddball thing to find these days! Where does one find one or more? 

3-    3rd pic shows a new Rear Wheel bearing seal, the old ones are bent as in photo. Do you just pound out the old one and carefully pound in the new one? Or should I have a shop do it? I notice the old have 4 dings hammered in the edges. What does that do? Just kind of seal them in?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! 

IMG_9815  small copy.jpg

IMG_9816 smwll copy.jpg

IMG_9820  sml copy.jpg

On my modern when I replace seals on the spindles/hubs I use a block of wood and a dead blow to seat new seals. Been doing that and it's been working for 18+ years.

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

On my modern when I replace seals on the spindles/hubs I use a block of wood and a dead blow to seat new seals. Been doing that and it's been working for 18+ years.

Block of wood works well or if you have a big socket that fits almost the exact outside diameter that works well.  I purchased a seal driver/bearing race installer tool kit on Amazon for <$20 and it works for many different sizes but the general block of wood or socket works as well.

1.  Those appear to be brake shoe lubricating washers and covers, needed to keep the brake shoe anchor bolts lubricated and free of moisture...not sure who supplies those, but ya might have some luck placing a parts wanted add for a member who might have an old mayo jar full of'm...

2.  That shock absorber bushing washer might be available if ya purchase some new shocks, though ya might want to reach out to a parts house or the manufacturer to see if you can get them...the curved shape is to match the shock rubber bushing contour and keep the bushing and the shock from moving laterally...

3.  Those 4 marks are evidence of staking with a cold chisel...this deforms the seal flange and its mounting surface enough to lock the seal in place so it will not spin nor pop out of its bore :cool:

• Like 1

1. I would clean them up, re lubricant and re use them if it were me ?

2. Classified add like JB said

3. Nuff said..... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I was not going to say it .... I used wood blocks to straighten the metal after I pulled them ... clean and oil and put em back in use  :P

Yeah but you’re frugal, I’m just lazy ?

After reading the info you all have supplied, especially JB,  I realize I had incorrectly thought those lubricating washers belonged to the spring shackles, but they belong to the brakes, so I'm good, and now I have the ones I need, definitely reusing what I have. 

The shock washer, maybe I'll poke around a couple of shops and see if they have any old ones laying around. 

THANKS!

My biggest problem with replacing them, I was ordering new wheel cylinders from DCM ... There was just to many options and sizes and reasons .... My dust seals were not bad so just kept them and re-used them, figure as a future daily driver will be re-visiting many areas anyways.

Today looking at the rear brakes .... really pleased with what I see, looks like the rear axle seal was leaking, shoes look good, drums have minor wear on them ... will keep and reuse what I can, same time I expect it to be safe.

0630201126b.jpg

• 1 month later...