Anyone ever heard or seen these?

casper50

I saw a 1940ish Fargo pickup with a set of those wheels and they were 20" ones. Good in deep snow as clearance was higher. Only set I’ve ever seen. Tried to buy the truck but when I went back it was sold. They do look strange on a vehicle but are certainly unique!

Price is high for rims that look unusable due to severe corrosion. Just because something is unusual doesn’t always make it valuable. Condition, condition, condition. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2

A set of very similar 20 inch rims were on my business coupe when I first saw it.  We bought it from the original owner.  He used it for his work vehicle.  He was a manufacturers rep for several brands of agricultural equipment in central PA.  His work to him off the beaten path to visit farmers in the area around State College.  In his day only the state highways and village streets were paved.  Once away from town, gravel roads with were the norm, and driveways may have been mile long wagon tracks over hill through the gulch and through the creek. When I went to get the car he had removed these high clearences rims for a pair of 15s on the front and 16s on the back and a pair of 16s with no tires in the rink.  He also had made stone guards for the oil pan, still attached, and the muffler and differential.  There was a fellow on this forum a y?ear or so ago who had found a plymouth suburban that had a similar tall and narrow wheels on it for off road use.  Who said ATVs are a recent development??

As I recall the Suburban had 18 inch wheels and a truck 4 speed (for the granny low gear). There was a video showing a 1940 Plymouth 4 door on a roadless trek thru Mexico and Central America with the same 18 inch wheels. That Suburban (in Colorado as I remember) looked like a very desirable variant. It even had a provision for mounting the spare in a vertical position because the 18 inch wheel and tire wouldn't fit in the floor well. I am thinking the 20 inch wheels were for trucks as the 18s really filled the wheel wells. They might have had an application for utilities on trucks used to check remote power lines. The price is way too high for something you might never be able to use. A set of 18s would still be too high even though you know they work.

Speaking of roadless treks, I heard a story about the French in the 1920s going across the Himalayas (or some such place) in Citroen vehicles. At one point the lack of a road forced them to dismantle the vehicles and carry the parts (with the aid of local porters) around an impassible obstacle and then re-assemble them on the other side to continue! 

They were an option on all 1939 Plymouths and likely other years as well. They are listed in the sales literature.

Pete

I'd think no OD would be required with 20" wheels and tires.

yes these were an option and were put on cars and trucks that did a lot of rural delivery because of the gravel and mud roads because they would need the extra ground clearance. These were an option and are documented in the Butler Plymouth Desoto book page 108 and these is a picture of them on a 39 Plymouth..e 

image.png

39 Ply 20 inch rims.pdf

Edited by desoto1939

You would have to be VERY keen to have a set of these wheels looking at those for sale.........rust?...........I burst out laughing at the rust these have.........I'll pass methinks.............lol.......andyd

I would not pass up, or laugh at a set of rusty wheels.

I have been working on cleaning some of my wheels.

Soaking in a plastic tub, with a little Arm & Hammer laundry powder, and hooked to a battery charger, or a solar panel, for a few days makes the wheels look very good.

A little time with a wire brush, and almost ready for primer....

002.JPG

1 minute ago, Bobb Horn said:

Soaking in a plastic tub, with a little Arm & Hammer laundry powder, and hooked to a battery charger, or a solar panel, for a few days makes the wheels look very good.

whole different story then someone asking $1500 for a set of wheels of rusty wheels with unknown outcome.

They can have them sand blased and primered for a cheap price ... maybe $200? Then see if they are re-usable? 

They may at that time maybe ask more for them... as is just a pig in a poke and bad photos and out of country for bad delivery.

I bet they have rust holes going all the way through them, they give poor pictures and hope some fool buys them.

Seller is not hiding the poor condition if you look at all the pictures. Several pictures show very, very heavy corrosion and some show holes rusted right through the rims. That's why the price is ridiculous. They would make good yard art and a talking point but that is about it.

Edited by RobertKB

3 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Seller is not hiding the poor condition if you look at all the pictures. Several pictures show very, very heavy corrosion and some show holes rusted right through the rims. That's why the price is ridiculous. They would make good yard art and a talking point but that is about it.

The centers don't look too rusted so if someone really wanted them they could likely have new rims put on these centers. Lots of $ and I agree not likely to sell at that price