Langdon's HEI...who has one?

belvedere

I bought one of these kits, and have a question for others who have installed one.  I'm wondering about the clamp.  Obviously, it is used to position the distributor vertically (depth into the block).  But since the bolt hole in the clamp is not slotted, it appears that timing is adjusted by loosening the clamp and rotating the distributor in the clamp.  When the clamp is loosened to rotate (adjust timing), doesn't this allow the vertical/depth position to possibly change, too?

Any other tips related to this installation are welcome, too.  Thanks!

27 minutes ago, greg g said:

The drive Spud seats into a slot in the oil pump. It can only go so far.

Right, but the instructions are clear about making sure there is vertical movement/play in the shaft after installation (ie, don't want it pushed too tight into the pump).  Of course, you wouldn't want it coming out of the slot, either.  Just seems to me that it would be better if the clamp's position could be set and left alone.  Have you had any issues with this while adjusting the timing on yours?

Can't help re your exact question but the Langdon HEI was the best bang for the buck I did when I installed it on the stock 12volt converted 1941 Plymouth Coupe I had.......instant starts by just leaning in and turning the key, ran better, smoother, and just better in every way..........as for your question, I installed it, retimed the dissy, new spark plugs with a 45 thou gap and off she went........had no issue re the shaft depth, just installed and away we went.............andyd  

• Like 1

I bought one too. I am still waiting for the new engine to come back from the machine shop to install it.

One of the neat things you can add to it is a Multiple Spark unit.

These (such as MSD brand or the Summit house brand) really get the fires burning.

They cutoff and become single spark at 3,000 rpm which means on a flathead they are multi spark most of the time.

The spark gap can be opened up to .060 which requires a pretty hot spark to jump.

Langdon sells you Champion plugs but I'd rather have NGK or Autolite.

There's a place for your Tach signal too.

Every once in a while the General makes something worthwhile and HEI is one of them. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, nkeiser said:

The clamp he provides only adjusts the height. You need to reuse the slotted piece from the stock distributor to adjust and lock the timing.

It would make sense to do it that way, but there's nothing in the instructions about the original piece, and I don't see any way to mount it on the HEI dist.  Do you have a pic of how you made that work?  Thanks!

On 6/30/2020 at 9:07 PM, belvedere said:

It would make sense to do it that way, but there's nothing in the instructions about the original piece, and I don't see any way to mount it on the HEI dist.  Do you have a pic of how you made that work?  Thanks!

I remember being frustrated with the instructions as well and being happy when I finally looked at the old one and found the missing piece. I couldn't find any saved pictures, and it's been over a year so the memory is a little foggy. I'l see if I can get a picture in the morning.

• Like 1

Ok, I appologize. My memory was foggier than I thought. I did NOT reuse the stock slotted piece. I originally tried to because I couldn't find the clamp he provided. Once I found the clamp Langdon sent in the distributor box, things made more sense. 

Here's a picture with the set bolt out and the distributor partially removed.

ckxEmI_rFZXFq5bdc-bEWFZth0E3FZ9qlQjN24RG22WyUFwbW2HvjvOWZzJNCWXp6bdTdy9r7XgiVSzB834rCl09lhp2cvnA4Fqb_S6peZ2fL1VxDhlHIoh-sBuAOYF_SuYPfCCMeabGeXNiGy98yfWFOJvgDrHZoilCJo_O8htb5t8cBLBBXE2V9Prb5YpQGdTw_PAYNvaqWAiB0eg3QWjU-otCodFm8XkaSE746h-y4ne3IaVrdVera9ITrCeQyhkIMGb-MaqEg2shqFkPBFVRsKBLEzmlA6I2mboQpE4sQufKNHbhLV4hDvlih_L2QlZsf-cJbOUhVKsFpAImhUzpYShku5VRazjjZoCIVgC0EPtkFLRnKRtIr8VonYsDzBvg8JN8k6yXidi1_c8BkKAu9dCStfnoNajpNPleveQUx1KZapmqEVxageDi9b_DIvHc5bqTfsl61pCV5NLNcXu_qziqI9JjDa2TVC6dg4n6cH0Ku5hoy88rb8GrPuCWB1XCob7eFxT4LXevVrwZRtFI12b9v2MhIvzfp0uv-2ExRKtckZv0yZVt21d4GMDV71OolDEWZHHdpvZkxkMw8qgLZ_4ULDyC6hDvF-6TaLQWeewoaTH2i62teg81ZZd0Wn030GJnAAZ3SfLbs777WgSY9t4mlK4qi5kKTpuLmBchl_EAlfgUqtbyLfHz=w1010-h757-no?authuser=0