shock upgrade

derbydad276

Well, at least the weld held.  I do have a thought.  In order for the shock mount to have come apart like that it seems to me that the shock bottomed out before the control arm hit the bump stops, if so you need to address that.

A decade or so when I installed my front shocks they were bottoming out just going down the road; we cut the mounts and extended them so they were 2 inches taller, which put the shock in the middle of its travel and rode very nicely indeed.  So the answer is to either extend the mount or find a shorter shock to install.

Marty

Edited by martybose
clarification
  • Thanks 1

first shocks I used were monroe ... the number crosses over to Chevrolet C10 recommended by he the maker of the relocation bracket ... 

that turned out to be Wayyyyy Too Stifff....they were not bottoming out ... 

Round #2 I used mounts from Speedway and fabbed plates to mount them on along with their Street Rod shock... now rides like Butter !!!!

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Short-Gas-Filled-Tube-Shocks-Black-Painted,2183.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainless-Steel-Upper-Front-Shock-Bracket-Unpolished,3331.html