exhaustief manifold stuck

Jac

Hi guys, I am really enjoying this forum. It is very valuable for a beginner like me.

Does anyone has an idea what I can do best to get my manifold off?

There are still 2 thread ends in which I drilled almost to the end. But the manifold still will not go off and there is totally no movement. Now I am not sure how to continue.

IMG-20200627-WA0006_copy_480x640.jpg

Seconding the post from Adams, I've missed that one twice when pulling manifolds. Once that one was loose I was able to give it a jiggle and it came off. Just don't bang on the manifold that's how I cracked my last one...

I counted 13, including the 2 that I still have to do. Do you mean there are 2 more somewhere? I have looked everywere (I think) but cannot find those. Can you explain were they should be?

20200628_160041_copy_1416x1062.jpg

I had to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds on my 1947 P15 a few days ago.  It was a challenge.  The stud at #9 would not let go. The nut came off - the stud was stuck in the manifold.  We heated, oiled and banged for two days.  I had removed the inner wheel well for access on the second day.  Gives great access to the side of the engine.  On the third day I went on line and found an exhaust manifold and ordered it.  On the fourth day I used a grinder and removed the old exhaust manifold piece by piece.  The stud at #9 finally broke off in the block and everything came apart.  It was easy to get to and drill out the broken stud with the inner wheel well removed.

Good Luck

I had a 1942 DeSoto I had to break the manifold apart to remove it also.

Because of those two rusted studs.

Much easier and labor wise less costly to install another manifold on that job.

I air chiseled the old manifold apart from the two studs...then unscrewed the long studs out of the block.

I have an air chisel and I didn't think of that. Would have been a much cleaner job. Grinding cast iron makes a really big mess. I spent the fifth day cleaning up the shop and cleaning the block so it's ready to install the new parts when they get here. Hope they get here soon. 

After drilling the threat end almost until the block and with brutal force a hammer and chisel between the block and the exhaust, finally the threat ends brake off.

The exhaust is still almost perfect!

20200709_215036_copy_800x600.jpg

20200710_171501_copy_800x600.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jac said:

After drilling the threat end almost until the block and with brutal force a hammer and chisel between the block and the exhaust, finally the threat ends brake off.

The exhaust is still almost perfect!

Excellent! Get a stud extractor and you may be able to get some of the studs out without needing to drill them.

410EhzB9VoL._AC_UL115_.jpg

Wow.........a plastic fuel filter right next to the exhaust manifold.........

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Today something terrible happened.. My exhaust feld down on de concrete floor..

So after a lot of work I still need to order another one if I can find one.

20200717_085150_copy_800x600.jpg

• Sad 1

I had an "ear" on one of flanges on my exhaust manifold welded about 5 years ago.  It is still OK.  Yours is aq bigger break, but that might actually be easier to repair because there is more surface area to weld to. 

• Thanks 1

I've done it with high nickle arc welding rod.

1. wait for spouse to go out for the day

2. turn oven to VERY HOT 600+ deg

3. heat manifold to VERY HOT while preparing your welder

4. weld for 2-3 minutes and put back in oven for 10 minutes 

5. leave in oven after welding and lower temps over a few hours

Hard, yes - Impossible, no