oil pump bolts

belvedere

7/16 X 14 TPI originals were hex with a slot.

• Like 1

I think length would help him out a well.

Typically, when I need to know what size bolt I need I use a tap to figure out the diameter and pitch then I measure the item I am bolting on.  You need a minimum thread engagement depth equivalent to the diameter, in the above case that would be 7/16" into the threaded part.  Don't forget to account for any washer thickness, both flat and/or lock.

Bolts come in standard lengths (measured from the bottom of the head to the end of the threaded portion), so if my calculation comes up with a length that is non-standard and it's not a blind hole or there is nothing behind it to be an issue I round up.  If it's a blind hole I measure the depth of the whole and go from there.  In some cases a bolt will protrude into an area where something might be, like one of the water pump bolts on an LA motor, too long and you can collapse #1 cylinder wall.  I measure the clearance and go from there. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!  I finally found my tap & die set...couldn't find it at first, which is why I had to ask in the first place! :) Anyway, these are 3/8-16.  I estimated it to need either a 1" or 1.25" length, so I grabbed some of each at the store, along with an assortment of others just to keep on hand for spares, since my stash was getting pretty meager.  Just thought I'd update with the size I found, in case anyone references this thread in the future. (Maybe the size varies by year?  Not sure.)  Anyway, have a good weekend!

• Like 1

Oh boy I screwed up on size?.yes they are a 9/16" hex head not 5/8" ....I have taken many out and installed many

I'll go sit in the corner for the rest of the day..

Sorry for the bad info!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Oh boy I screwed up on size?.yes they are a 9/16" hex head not 5/8" ....I have taken many out and installed many

I'll go sit in the corner for the rest of the day..

Sorry for the bad info!

unlike many here though, you admit to the error...most take the crawdaddy approach and swim backwards super fast...your ratings have not been hurt in my eyes...

• Like 2

Yeah...gotta face up to yours mistakes for sure.

Jeez I've worked on so many MoPar flatheads.....just had a old man brain fart I guess.

I was going to post a pic of the bolt but figured the guy would.pm me asking for a couple of them.

I recently got burned by a "W" series truck collector who asked me to send him factory  DT service bulletins.

That of the vacuum diagrams and tech intro info on the 2 speed rear axle.

I spent over an hour not including driving 4 miles to mail the copies plus 7bucks shipping...a RIP off for that.

I asked him to let me know when he got them.....never have heard back over the last month.

Maybe Dave died.

been there done that....I view it as a total lack of respect.....wash your hand and move along only thing I can say....

Nice day and what am I doing....putting upgraded brakes on my Peugeot.......and before ya jump....its a vintage 10 speed bike with many appointments and super light weight...plan to ride a few mountain roads coming up soon.   Poor bike been in hibernation for a spell....been riding the Raleigh as my daily bike...