Carter Ball and Ball carb

Booger

needed a carb rebuild for "Booger." At the time I could find no one locally so bought an 'engine tested' rebuild online from a shop in Ca. After 2 tries still not working properly. then discovered Rose Carburetors in MN. I was very happy with this gentlemens work and price. If youre looking for a rebuild give this fellow a try

Glad you got it fixed ... I bought a rebuilt from rockauto, I thought the price was reasonable, and I kept my core and rebuilt it, put it away for future use.

I think Mikes Carburetors made a great video to show how to assemble these simple carbs, I would send my carb to him for rebuild if I needed.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

needed a carb rebuild for "Booger." At the time I could find no one locally so bought an 'engine tested' rebuild online from a shop in Ca. After 2 tries still not working properly. then discovered Rose Carburetors in MN. I was very happy with this gentlemens work and price. If youre looking for a rebuild give this fellow a try

What did you have them do? I've got a carb or 2 that I think needs new bushings in the body.

I wrote to Rose Carburetors asking about what is included in a total rebuild of a Carter B&B carb.  I have never heard back from them. I know that the C19 virus might be an issue with noone replying.

Some companies when they say they rebuild or restore a component do not list all that they do to a part.  So when I read that they resotre carbs I am also assuming that they will replace and or make new bushings where ever they are needed on the carb.  To me a restoration should include these new bushing and any other major linkage parts and a total rebuild of all new internal brass small parts that originally came with the NOS Carter rebuild kits.

Some of the new kits that are being sold on Ebay and at swap meets do not contain all of the replacement parts so it is important to know and ask what a rebuilder is going to replace and also whats parts are included in the cost and if they will send you any or all of the parts that they took out of your carb. This way you will know what they replaced because you will  also have your older parts as a backup.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Pretty sure, if you need to drill out the side of the carb and fabricate new bushings  Absolutely this can be done ... by your machinist and not your carb re builder.

What you are asking is a carb rebuilder to be a machinist and make magic for you.

Not typically how life works ... Can it be fixed yes, who will do it .... probably the machinist ...  yes they feed a family and like to eat also.

People like to eat and feed their family, I doubt you get many calls back from your  questions.

24 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

I wrote to Rose Carburetors asking about what is included in a total rebuild of a Carter B&B carb.  I have never heard back from them. I know that the C19 virus might be an issue with noone replying

Take your carburetor kit to your machinist, and ask them to do what is required ... not ask your carb rebuilder to do machine shop work. Figure it out, ...

Any fool can put the parts in.

Edited by Los_Control

Bushing a carb is not difficult and if you are willing to spend the money you can get the parts and tools to do it.

That said, the throttle bodies I am using on my dual TBI setup have sealed bearings.   

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

What did you have them do? I've got a carb or 2 that I think needs new bushings in the body.

Not that difficult.  Several places provide the reamer and bushing kits, if the shaft is a standard size.  1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 are common.

My only point is, if the shafts need new bushings .... I assume there is 3 guys Left in the United states can rebuild a carburetor.  Lets find the right one!

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

I wrote to Rose Carburetors asking about what is included in a total rebuild of a Carter B&B carb.  I have never heard back from them.

This is wrong in so many  .... If the carburetor is decent and works well, They would get a decent working carb in return.

If you expect them to start drilling  holes and adding bushings ... you will need to start a whole new thread.

I bought my B&B carb rebuilt from Rock auto ... works good for me, just sucks for you as you think it is some rare piece.

Edited by Los_Control

On 6/26/2020 at 11:56 AM, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

Thanks for the info.  Once this Covid 19 is over you should visit us at the Tall Pines Region, Plymouth Owners Club.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Pretty sure, if you need to drill out the side of the carb and fabricate new bushings  Absolutely this can be done ... by your machinist and not your carb re builder.

What you are asking is a carb rebuilder to be a machinist and make magic for you.

Not typically how life works ... Can it be fixed yes, who will do it .... probably the machinist ...  yes they feed a family and like to eat also.

People like to eat and feed their family, I doubt you get many calls back from your  questions.

Take your carburetor kit to your machinist, and ask them to do what is required ... not ask your carb rebuilder to do machine shop work. Figure it out, ...

Any fool can put the parts in.

Not sure what them needing to eat has to do with it. The carb rebuilder needs to eat just as much. I would think any business should be able to state what the do and don't do. I would think a good carb shop would have some machining capability or at least a partnership with someone that can do that work. Otherwise they would have to turn away the work for anything needing bushings.

40 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Not sure what them needing to eat has to do with it. The carb rebuilder needs to eat just as much. I would think any business should be able to state what the do and don't do. I would think a good carb shop would have some machining capability or at least a partnership with someone that can do that work. Otherwise they would have to turn away the work for anything needing bushings.

In defense of my question so when you send a car out to a restoration shop for a total rebuild from the ground up what should you expect from the shop. A total rebuild of all the components. The diferentail is taken apart and inspected for missing or worn out seal and other alignment issue. So would you then accept them to put back into the rear end the old inner oil seals NO, you would expect new oil seals.

So when someone states a distributor has been rebuilt what should you expect from the expert that is rebuilding the dizzy.  A complete rebuild and that should include the two inner bushing in the main body of the housing. If they do not replace these items then the rebuilder if he has any pride in his work would let the owner know that they were not replace because he tested  the shaft to determine if there was excess play in the shaft.

So why is it that I just got my head taken off for asking a question of the carb rebuilder what does a total rebuld consist of?  If I am paying for the carb to be rebuilt then I should know what I am getting for my money.  If he states that is not part of the standard rebuild but will do it as an extra fee than that is fine but at least I would know that when I struck the deal with the restorer.

To many people just part ways with their money and then when something does not come back to them as expected they then bad mouth the restorer.  You have to know what you are paying for.

So just sticking the unassembled carb in some cleaner and then putting in a rebuild kit not like the old original carter kits that had all of the internal small parts can be done by any backyard mechanic that can read the instruction sheet. But to do it correctly and to check to make sure that any wornout parts such as the dogleg is workig correctly and has not worn any grooves is what I expect from the professional restorer.

So I guess you would accept a half done heart transplant from a doctor.  You would be informed as to what he is going to do, so apply that to everything Ask questions and ask questions. We have lost the art of communicating. If you do not like the answer then go to someone else.

I inquired to the carb professional and have not had a reply so I cannot  state what or what not will be restored. The final decision is up to me and no one else, but do not take my head off for asking a question.

I did not accuse anyone of anything but wanted to know what I would receive for my money or was the build the same as if I had done the work myself.

I am not picking on young ed in my reply. I am just making a reply back to the statement from Los control. I am expecting from a total rebuild that the carb would not leak at any of the areas that have a metal bushing, expecting the carb tobe returned to me in a near as perfect condition  rehabed as possible.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Otherwise they would have to turn away the work for anything needing bushings.

IMO, they would be turning away over half of the carbs.  IME, anything from the 60s and earlier will need bushings.  I used to be heavily into garden tractors, still in that somewhat.  Most of the good stuff was built prior to 1980 or so.  They all need bushings, just a fact of life.  You can't get a good consistent idle with worn holes.

Rich, you refer to rebuild and restore as if they are the same thing.  Not really.  In my experience a rebuild is essentially a clean and kit deal, if you need bushings or have missing parts that would be extra.  A restoration would return it to it's factory new condition, with new plating and all.  But the only real way to know what you are going to get it to ask and get an answer.  If they don't respond that doesn't bode well if there are any future issues.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Rich, you refer to rebuild and restore as if they are the same thing.  Not really.  In my experience a rebuild is essentially a clean and kit deal, if you need bushings or have missing parts that would be extra.  A restoration would return it to it's factory new condition, with new plating and all.  But the only real way to know what you are going to get it to ask and get an answer.  If they don't respond that doesn't bode well if there are any future issues.

Not that  Rich needs a defense, but I think of rebuilt carbs the same way I do a rebuilt engine or transmission.  All Parts replaced or machined to original equipment clearances.  What some refer to as rebuilt, seems to me to be an overhaul.  Parts replacement only with no machine work.  Like rering and valve job compared to a bore ans seat/valve replacement.  Restore to me means the same as a rebuild except that all parts are reproductions of original,  no improved or redesigned parts and exterior finish is as new.  Restoring to me is a waste, as even if it looks original, it was new and original one time and never will be again, no matter how much is spent or how good it looks, it is not 'original', just a close (or very close) approximation.

JMNSHO

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, desoto1939 said:

So why is it that I just got my head taken off for asking a question of the carb rebuilder what does a total rebuld consist of?  

Yeah, I didn't quite understand that, either.  I don't see anything wrong with asking a vendor what their service includes.

• Like 1

Yes the company that is providing services need to state what all is included in their services that they are providing weather it be a rebuild or a complete restoration back to factory specifications as close as possible.  Yes a used carb can be brought back only so far to originality.

But my point is that I asked the company via an email and thru their website and have never received a reply.  So I did my part to see what I would get back from them and what to expect for a finished product.  If a company is going to advertise via a webpage then they should at least describe what services are included with what part of a restore or a full blown restoration.

So I asked the question and some members took a shot at me for asking the question. Ijust wanted to know what I was paying for to have the carb either repaired or restored. What is wrong with that question?

When I go to the Rose Carburetor webpage this is all the information that you get and nothing else so I used their contact us link to do an inquiry about their services.  So what is wrong with asking a question of the company.

I am now done with posting any more on this topic.

Rich Hartung

image.png.4cc1600a2824c1cc8e094880ef691d4d.png

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Gotta keep in mind we are just a bunch of grumpy old men........................  ?

And dang proud of it!   :D

My only point with bushing a carb, it is fine and acceptable practice. Just like putting a sleeve in a cylinder block. You do it when it is your best option ... not just because you can.

I would not want my engine rebuilder to punch out the factory bore on my block when all it needs is cleaned and honed and is in specs.

I would not want a re-builder to put bushings in my low mileage carb that did not need them. But If carb was wore out and did need them,  That's fine, get er did. I will look for a better core for future use.

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

Bushing a carb is not difficult and if you are willing to spend the money you can get the parts and tools to do it.

That looks very interesting. The challenge I see is the Carter id be doing is only a 1 barrel so much smaller diameter and I would think easier to get misaligned. 

5 hours ago, Young Ed said:

That looks very interesting. The challenge I see is the Carter id be doing is only a 1 barrel so much smaller diameter and I would think easier to get misaligned. 

Most of the kits have a reamer that spans both holes, so alignment is almost guaranteed.    I've done even smaller carbs (10-20hp engines) using a drill press, adjustable reamers and hardware store bushings or tubing.  Small engines tend to wear the carbs badly, I think due to vibration and lots of movement by the governor as load changes like when mowing.

Edited by kencombs

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

Most of the kits have a reamer that spans both holes, no alignment is almost guaranteed.  

No alignment or so alignment?

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

so.  I need to proofread before hitting enter.

edit:  fixed it

Thanks I figured that's what it was but wanted to verify. I'm going to dig out my carbs and see what size they need

Remember in the case of our 1bbls we do not have the middle part like that Quadrajet to align the reamer, so ream and bush one hole first, then do the other side and let the new bushing help guide the reamer.  If there is a bit of bind when the throttle shaft is reinstalled just use the shaft and some light oil to burnish the bushings.

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1