Another wagon followed me home

Bob Riding

My first car was a 1959 Hillman Minx. The family's first Hillman was a 1956 Husky flathead 4 cylinder. My Mother called it her "Puttsey car" my Father called a "Puddle jumper". Which had some truth to it as it seemed you had to take run at anything that took power to get thru.

I have a Hillman OHV engine I took out of a car that had a Smiths Electric Automatic Transmission. The transmission was junk (of course) so some previous owner stopped driving it. Anyway I would gift it to you just to be rid of it.

13 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

this rear door is left hinged as it is a left hand drive model.....right hand drive got right hinged doors....I would bet they had backed it into something or something backed into it once parked.  Unique door lock that is on the right quarter panel and the pull handle is bottom right of glass opening.  The door has a spring popper that is lower left near hinge and this section has been damaged over the years and metal fatigue has it cracked out.  Typical of lots of door catches.  I have already addressed this with a fabricated bracket that bolts to the lower hinge itself via the mounting bolts.  Very firmly fixed and works exactly as original just less cheesy/flimsy material.  The rear door is almost almost ready to start finish work. 

Very cool and unique for us American motorheads. Great find!

If you ever follow a few of the European cars you will find a number of American influences there also.  The Hillman was one such car in the early 60 and the designer from Studebaker played a big role in some of the design features to the point some of them screamed Stude in small package like you read about, front grille, flat slant butt and those Hawkish fins were prevalent.  Glad the Husky wagon did not get this treatment.   This little car is a long roof...and pre Imp box....last of the Audax series.  While similar to a Thames.....I have a fond memory of a pretty hopped up 225 slant six in one of those...tires had a very short life on that car.  Smoke 'em if  you got 'em..!!!  Odds are this will stick with a four in the floor but with a V6 twister.....too early to make an absolute call here...not even check the engine but I would suspect it locked it after all those years in the Florida back woods.

• 2 weeks later...

I always found interesting though a bit off topic but still wagon related, that the English will refer to the 2 door wagon as a Shooting Brake and if it has 4 door them it becomes an Estate....as I am one that claims that it is hard to call a 4 door a personal car....albeit I am not saying 4 door family cars are not popular and needed...just hard to relate to the extra slam slam... 

28 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I always found interesting though a bit off topic but still wagon related, that the English will refer to the 2 door wagon as a Shooting Brake and if it has 4 door them it becomes an Estate....as I am one that claims that it is hard to call a 4 door a personal car....albeit I am not saying 4 door family cars are not popular and needed...just hard to relate to the extra slam slam... 

The English came up with the Plymouth name, so my 1940, 4 door Plymouth Westchester Semi-Sedan Suburban,  should rightly be called a Plymouth Estate wagon!

4991365B-AAE1-4D9F-AB35-6333466C0428.jpeg

• Like 1

Bob, I am convinced....as long as it does not become the "TERMITE HOTEL"  

Many years ago in a magazine that had a cartoon of the Pilgrims landing in America....I cannot find that now but they were in their pilgrim garb, blunderbuss in hand and  on the beach was this huge rock shaped like a 1950 Plymouth, and now you know, the rest of the story...  !   Fractured History Facts

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Bob, I am convinced....as long as it does not become the "TERMITE HOTEL"  

Many years ago in a magazine that had a cartoon of the Pilgrims landing in America....I cannot find that now but they were in their pilgrim garb, blunderbuss in hand and  on the beach was this huge rock shaped like a 1950 Plymouth, and now you know, the rest of the story...  !   Fractured History Facts

?

• 1 month later...

Progress update: I was able to contact the PO and retrieve the tailgate piece that fits over the back window. He's way up in the Sierras, and left it on his cabin deck, where my wife and I made an 8 hour day trip and found it. We timed it well, as there were no fires burning nearby that day and the air was pretty clear. Got it home and it fit perfectly. Now I can roll up the back window, and cover it for the upcoming winter. I will need to install the fuzzy moulding where the window rolls up into the roof- any suggestions as to suppliers?

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_0175 copy.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Bob anything else you're missing? It's in pretty poor shape but there is one of those in the junkyard here

Yes! Parking lamp lenses (they are different RH and LH, and some body trim. I can make a list. let me know the contact there and I'll inquire. Thanks!