Another wagon followed me home

Bob Riding

I had a wagon follow me home day before yesterday.....not a Mopar....but still a very cute little 2 door, bucket seat and 4 on the floor with a single left hinged rear cargo door..  Just rolled it off the trailer this morning....I was not at all expecting this vehicle but it was given to me...it has its rough areas but very much buildable and worth the build. 

9 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I had a wagon follow me home day before yesterday.....not a Mopar....but still a very cute little 2 door, bucket seat and 4 on the floor with a single left hinged rear cargo door..  Just rolled it off the trailer this morning....I was not at all expecting this vehicle but it was given to me...it has its rough areas but very much buildable and worth the build. 

Pictures? 

Well, you wanted interior pictures...here's our borescope ($22 Amazon) pictures of the 331 hemi cylinders. Obviously some carbon buildup. Can you tell anything about how the engine was working the last time it ran in 1981? The previous owner said it was starting to smoke a bit when he parked it... 

3AE56C3C-E5DD-4244-94D9-0543428A5935.jpeg

42947BCF-F5E7-4721-9449-F127569D59F7.jpeg

450467BC-607C-4A9C-BDD6-F148A7AF2DD5.jpeg

C3956A6A-C179-42DE-B73B-82DA7D4A72CF.jpeg

F5A65B53-E9FD-4DAE-8ACB-5DFDC3E50AF5.jpeg

8B86D895-8BCA-4DF7-B2ED-5112662FC9B4.jpeg

14FE8B5A-D599-494F-A908-43A31780D0CB.jpeg

64C54480-3E66-49DE-AAAC-CD1398B9CB07.jpeg

Thought those were dark side of the moon pics.  Probably down on compression a bit.  Clean up the fuel system, put in a heat range or two hotter plug, run a couple thanks of no ethanol premium through it and see what happens.  Maybe the old mist of water through the carb while running to break up the crusty stuff.  Have another look see and see if compression improves.  Or you could do the sea foam thing.

What I am seeing is rust on the cylinder walls .... Maybe I need glasses ... I would not want to try and turn it over myself.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

But pics on the internet can be deceiving. I would be concerned to save the engine, old hemi are not easy to come by.

5 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

Looks like a rebuild. How much of this can I do myself? My youtube subscription is up to date!

I think there is a whole bunch you can do yourself. I recently acquired a late model 8BA flathead ford motor, nowhere near as good as a hemi, but still getting rare.

I am pretty sure it would have ended up in a scrap yard if I did not save it. So I saved it.    I have no use for it, thinking a future project and to store it.

I need to know it's condition, and how I will store it. Will it be a pile of parts on a shelf, or will I be putting it on a engine stand and parking it in a corner.

So far it looks like I am ordering a engine stand.

You need to play detective on these old engines, question is, how did moisture get in the cylinders in the first place?

Mine the head on one side was removed and the fuel pump assembly on intake manifold was removed. It was parked in the barn. Guessing it had a fuel pump problem, they removed it and a year later got back to it, found the motor was stuck and removed a  head, then a mouse came running out of the intake and they just walked away.

Point is, I had some surface rust on the cylinders  with the head off, I used a 4" grinder with wire wheel to clean the deck and then made a couple quick passes in the cylinders, they cleaned up nice. no pitting and no boring needed.

Problem is the mouse nest in the intake valley, the lifters and cam shaft are rusted from mouse pee.

I think, if I disassemble it, clean it, put it back together with good parts, it would probably run fine. I expect to do more with it then that.

But yeah, you may just need to tear it down and clean everything and then put back together, or you may need to keep a box of handy wipes on the bench to dry the tears.

So far my tear down is going good,  but when I flip it over and pull the pan, I may be putting the block out back in the scrap pile.

Who would ever expect to tear down a engine and find this? You just never know what surprises wait for you.

0729200938a.jpg

I would like to keep this amazing beauty generally in its present status!

Just would give it some rust protection (floors?). It shows its life!

But that may not be Your choice.

Anyhow , the rust in the cylinders needs professional care -

that engine deserves a good rebuilding!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

15 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I think there is a whole bunch you can do yourself. I recently acquired a late model 8BA flathead ford motor, nowhere near as good as a hemi, but still getting rare.

I am pretty sure it would have ended up in a scrap yard if I did not save it. So I saved it.    I have no use for it, thinking a future project and to store it.

I need to know it's condition, and how I will store it. Will it be a pile of parts on a shelf, or will I be putting it on a engine stand and parking it in a corner.

So far it looks like I am ordering a engine stand.

You need to play detective on these old engines, question is, how did moisture get in the cylinders in the first place?

Mine the head on one side was removed and the fuel pump assembly on intake manifold was removed. It was parked in the barn. Guessing it had a fuel pump problem, they removed it and a year later got back to it, found the motor was stuck and removed a  head, then a mouse came running out of the intake and they just walked away.

Point is, I had some surface rust on the cylinders  with the head off, I used a 4" grinder with wire wheel to clean the deck and then made a couple quick passes in the cylinders, they cleaned up nice. no pitting and no boring needed.

Problem is the mouse nest in the intake valley, the lifters and cam shaft are rusted from mouse pee.

I think, if I disassemble it, clean it, put it back together with good parts, it would probably run fine. I expect to do more with it then that.

But yeah, you may just need to tear it down and clean everything and then put back together, or you may need to keep a box of handy wipes on the bench to dry the tears.

So far my tear down is going good,  but when I flip it over and pull the pan, I may be putting the block out back in the scrap pile.

Who would ever expect to tear down a engine and find this? You just never know what surprises wait for you.

0729200938a.jpg

Very interesting. I removed an entire trash can full of mouse droppings from a '56 Plymouth Suburban parts car, along with a short history of the life of the previous owner- receipts, clothes, old junk and mouse droppings even under the oil bath air cleaner!

3 hours ago, Go Fleiter said:

I would like to keep this amazing beauty generally in its present status!

Just would give it some rust protection (floors?). It shows its life!

But that may not be Your choice.

Anyhow , the rust in the cylinders needs professional care -

that engine deserves a good rebuilding!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

I agree. once I determine the status of the engine, I will be able to make a decision to rebuild or not. I plan to re-do the wood myself, and keep it 6 volts.

That is a gorgeous car and, if you can afford it, would be a wonderful choice for a full restoration. Patina loses its appeal after a while. If that was a Plymouth suburban in the same shape I might leave it alone but that Chrysler is special. Just my two nickels worth as we no longer use cents up here and don't understand why the US still does. Costs more to make than their face value.

39 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

That is a gorgeous car and, if you can afford it, would be a wonderful choice for a full restoration. Patina loses its appeal after a while. If that was a Plymouth suburban in the same shape I might leave it alone but that Chrysler is special. Just my two nickels worth as we no longer use cents up here and don't understand why the US still does. Costs more to make than their face value.

I'm a coin collector and that's what old pennies will be good for in the future- coin collections.  We should have gone to the nickel standard years ago. We had half-cent coins up until 1857, then we discontinued them because of the same reasons...cost more to provide, and nobody really wanted them anymore.

As for the wagon- I agree! It needs to be restored back to its original shape. I'm thinking a darker color with wire wheels (an actual option in 1954), roof rack, wide whites and maybe A/C, if I can find a restored 6 volt system. maybe something like this...

e2e7b44579619294ed0628cab09f9a7c473e515b.jpg

5 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

I'm a coin collector and that's what old pennies will be good for in the future- coin collections.  We should have gone to the nickel standard years ago. We had half-cent coins up until 1857, then we discontinued them because of the same reasons...cost more to provide, and nobody really wanted them anymore.

As for the wagon- I agree! It needs to be restored back to its original shape. I'm thinking a darker color with wire wheels (an actual option in 1954), roof rack, wide whites and maybe A/C, if I can find a restored 6 volt system. maybe something like this...

e2e7b44579619294ed0628cab09f9a7c473e515b.jpg

That car is gorgeous! Glad you are thinking  of going down the same road. Please keep us updated as I really enjoy seeing your progress!

3 hours ago, Greg51T&CWagon said:

Is that a '59 Chevy pickup in the back? I have one too! Fleetside? 

Greg

It's a "57. My buddy's truck since high school. He's replacing the original 265 (long gone) with a rebuilt 350, 700R tranny and a few other enhancements. Nice ride.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 2:42 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

maybe after I wash it....has been literally in the woods for about 36 years....

Still not washed the pup....here it sits as found and loaded on my trailer.....sitting in woods for 36 years per the owner....I have removed the rear and side glasses and started on the removing the other loose items, mainly rear lenses.  Would hate to lose said stuff on the trip home...door latches needs greased...opened good but not closing well..sticking plungers..just tied them for safety...the rear door is really the only major ding on the body.  Factory 15" wheels....Ford 4 x 4.25 bolt pattern.  Rough in the usual places similar to my 51 Plymouth Suburban...its just metal and welding.....

DSC02951.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

this rear door is left hinged as it is a left hand drive model.....right hand drive got right hinged doors....I would bet they had backed it into something or something backed into it once parked.  Unique door lock that is on the right quarter panel and the pull handle is bottom right of glass opening.  The door has a spring popper that is lower left near hinge and this section has been damaged over the years and metal fatigue has it cracked out.  Typical of lots of door catches.  I have already addressed this with a fabricated bracket that bolts to the lower hinge itself via the mounting bolts.  Very firmly fixed and works exactly as original just less cheesy/flimsy material.  The rear door is almost almost ready to start finish work.