53 Truck-O-Matic

Rear Wheel Cylinders for 53 B4B

I have managed to strip the threads on my lower left rear wheel cylinder by over tightening the brake line fitting. (Or- the threads were just too old.) In searching for replacement wheel cylinders, I don't see any that look like mine. Roberts, VPW, all the usual suspects. I'm figuring on replacing all four rear ones.

Here are pics of mine.

Any thoughts?

IMG_9775.jpg

IMG_9777.jpg

Years ago I got mine at Napa, but I’m not seeing them listed on napaonline now. I’ve also seen them on Rockauto, but I can’t seem to find them now. However, DCM Classics does show them. https://dcmclassics.com/brake-parts/384-br-261-48-wheel-cylinders-half-size.html

I looked in my various Brake catalogs and I can not find any reference to the dodge truck B4B there are other letters but not the B4B.  Are you sure it is a B4B

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

11 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I looked in my various Brake catalogs and I can not find any reference to the dodge truck B4B there are other letters but not the B4B.  Are you sure it is a B4B

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Yes, B4B is a valid model ID for a B-series truck built in 1953. Some catalogs may just show B4, or B-4 and then reference "1/2 ton" in stead of the second "B". 

Edited by Merle Coggins

You might also want to replace the inter-connecting steel brake line tubes.

They are compromised.

The lines..one or both have rubbed on the drum hubs it looks like.

As for the wheel cylinders...are they different than passenger cars?

Some day I will get to my rear brakes ....😟 I am under the impression to keep as much original as I can, meaning I would rebuild the existing wheel cylinders simply because they are made of better quality then what is available today.

Just saying, I might try to save and rebuild the other 3 ... at least keep them and possibly rebuild them and set on a shelf in case you have issues with the new ones.

Are you sure it is the cylinder threads that stripped out, and not the brake line threads? Could be either, seems to me the steel line would be weaker then the wheel cylinder.

When I rebuilt my front brakes, I did replace the front wheel cylinders using DCM for supplier. Mine had a step bore and I did not feel comfortable honing and cleaning them. Never worked on them before ... But master cylinder or rear wheel cylinders with a straight bore, if not pitted beyond repair, are pretty simple.

here is the brake cylinder info from my EIS Brake catalog for the B4B:

Front right  EQ6354

Front Left EW6353

Right rear  Upper EW 10581  Lower EW10583

Left rear  Upper EW10580  lower EW10582

Looked at the HAgen link and the numbers that he lists the wheel cylinders are the specific number for each cylinder that is used across the industry so he matches up with my numbers from my EIS brake catalog.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for the many replies and suggestions! I have ordered the set from DCM, which appear the same as the Hagen (another good resource).

We shall see. The lines between the cylinders appear to be ok, but I will check them carefully. Yes, I am sure it's the cylinder threads that failed. The rears were rebuilt

many years ago using the old housings, and they have just reached their end.

57 minutes ago, 53 Truck-O-Matic said:

I am sure it's the cylinder threads that failed. The rears were rebuilt

many years ago using the old housings, and they have just reached their end.

Word for word, sounds like something I told my wife 30 years ago ... she still never lets me forget that today!

Sounds like you have it under control.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

You might also want to replace the inter-connecting steel brake line tubes.

They are compromised.

The lines..one or both have rubbed on the drum hubs it looks like.

As for the wheel cylinders...are they different than passenger cars?

I see what you mean. (pic attached). Tough call, you're probably right.......

IMG_9827.jpg