Can you name this part?

MarcDeSoto

Here's a little trivia question that might be hard to answer.  Can you name this part that I bought decades ago for my 48 DeSoto business coupe?  I don't know if I'll ever need it, but if I do, I've got a good NOS MoPar part!   

P1020321.JPG

P1020322.JPG

A drive adaptor for the distributor from the cam?

Left hand rotation thingymabob.............specifically the NASCAR option version...............will go take my meds now & sit quietly in my corner........lol........andyd

• Like 1

That corner gets a good workout with you Andy...lol

I just build my bad Karma for when I am 6 feet under...lol

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

kickdown governor pinion

yes you got it Adams!  the business end of the governor pinion meshes into the a gear on the countershaft of the transmission and turns the governor points at the speed of the car.  If the car is going over 14 mph in the high range, the governor points open which cuts off the power of the electromagnet in the transmission relay, which cuts the power to the solenoid and allows the oil pump in the transmission to complete the upshift when you release your foot from the accelerator.  

• Thanks 1

Maok & Plymouthy......I've got some spare meds...........you wanna join me.........lol..................Mark.....only 2 hrs?..........lol.........andyd

And a part that really never wears out..

• Like 1

LOL.........not sure whether to offer you an encouragement award or not Plymouthy...............lol.........andyd

12 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

And a part that really never wears out..

Yes, they said these M-5s and M-6s never wear out, but can develop problems if you are not lucky.  Electrical problems are what you hope to have rather than mechanical problems inside the transmission case.  I've never heard very much from guys who have the Fluid Torque Drives.  I think they came out in 1952.  because the fluid drive torque converter used the same oil as the engine, and oil change would use a lot of oil, maybe 11 quarts or so.  Are these couplers much better than the pre-52 fluid drives?

Those M5/M6 transmissions definitely do wear out.

I have rebuilt many of them over the years.

Inputshaft/blocker rings/ clutch sleeves, brinneled  countershafts and oil pumps are common wear parts.

As for the FTD torque converters ...yes the cheaper Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler cars did use the 10 quart combined engine oil system and was not too reliable.

Mainly Six cylinder cars used it and the V8 Dodge and DeSoto's too.

The main issue was oil loss leakage at the adapter plate resulting in engine damage and or converter noise and failure.

The 52 on up Chrysler's with FTD (actually just like a typical 60's torque converter) had it's own separate 10 quart capacity system....the converter with a 2 quart sump underneath the converter.

The FTD converter with the modified M6  gears is wonderful as acceleration is much quicker that of a regular Fluid Drive coupling from a dead stop.