New shop tool

pflaming

I bought this motorcycle lift for $25. The jack needs new seals, otherwise like new. My grandson wants to rebuild a 1978 Yamaha Enduro I bought new, so this should be useful. With its low profile, maybe useful for removing and replacing a transmission.

D92C50D1-CEA2-43AC-815C-B8A00BC277CE.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
Clear photo.
  • Like 2

I used my motorcycle jack, similar to that one, when I pulled my trans to replace the clutch many years ago. It worked fairly well. It doesn't have swivel casters under the jack carriage, so it's not as maneuverable as a true tranny jack, but all I needed was to go straight back and down, then up and back in. It worked fine for that. 

That’s actually the perfect jack for changing the Volkswagen engine too, and I was going to bring mine down the last time I came but it’s rather heavy.

Mine will hold up the Kawasaki Nomad with full touring gear and gas.

• 1 month later...

I mentioned this trick to Mr. Fleming a few years back. This is what I call a roll-over jig. (I think I once called a box jig but this is not correct.)

513F4088-1918-4855-941D-DA949E83E94A.jpeg.01b4bbc8141c08c84f578e21a6adfe8d.jpeg

These guys call it a rotisserie. It’s really not, because there’s no bearings or trunnions. They just weld up these two big stands that look like 12 sided hoops and they bolt right to the frame. They can roll the car upside down and weld on the bottom or the side or whatever.

If you’re doing a body off the frame, it needs to be internally braced so it doesn’t twist; But the jig itself doesn’t need to be pretty and it can be made out of scrap whatever that you can get free in short pieces.

You do need enough room to roll the car sideways and back as necessary. But not being round, having it centered on the body’s center of gravity is not so critical.

Of course if you do get things too eccentric you will have handling problems and it may not stay where you put it without an additional leg. In fact you may want to clamp on some safety legs or shoring temporarily while it’s in any particular position where you’ve got to lean on it, or be under it, or any such thing.

Edited by Ulu