Famous Five?

Ulu

One of the neatest cars that I ever drove was a five cylinder Audi, back in the 1990s. I only had it for one day but it was a real nice ride on the freeway, and for such a light car it really held the road extremely well.

I wasn’t into sedans in those days so I never considered owning one.

But the other day I saw something about a five cylinder Volvo and it started me wondering if there were any other companies that built an inline five cylinder engine?

And of course, who among you has owned one?

I drove one of those 5 cyl GMs in a Hummer h3, LT version.  It was a version of the hi-tech inlines they had for a while, early 90s I think.  Atlas family maybe?  Anyway ran smooth, not a lot of power and terrible gas mileage for the rated HP.  But, heavy platform, basically a small pickup with an ugly body.  I passed and bought a big Toyota.  Still  not great mileage, but lots of room, better quality (IMO anyway) and much  more power.

Volkswagen built a big (for them) 4 dr. sedan with another co's 5 cylinder inline 5 (audi?) somewhere back in the late 70's early 80's (not sure, I worked briefly as a car salesman for Chrysler Dodge, VW dealership) and I really just  as soon forget being a car salesman!.  ?  We had one 5 cyl. vehicle that was a demo over 1-1/12 years old that they finally got rid of while I was there!

DJ

We inherited a Volvo with a 5 cylinder engine back in the late 1990s. Car was a tank, bad visibility to the rear corners, so ended up trading it for a car more to my wife’s liking. I don’t recall that the engine sound/vibration/whatever was noticeably different from engines with a different cylinder count of the same basic displacement and horsepower.

Well I know that Volkswagen and Audi both shared the five cylinder engine technology but I’m not sure which was the chicken and which the egg. Other than that I’ve never looked at any other in line 5 engines in my whole life.

Edited by Ulu

not to confuse my smart aleck answer above on the GM 5 being an 8 with three burnt valves..the Colorado truck they marketed was popular with a 5 cylinder engine...now as to if home grown or overseas affiliate supplied, I believe the better money is placed on GM's use of the affiliate Isuzu engine...

as a trivia remark...how many remember the early Isuzu commercial where the guy asks the gal if she wanted to see his Isuzu and getting his face slapped in reply?

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

not to confuse my smart aleck answer above on the GM 5 being an 8 with three burnt valves..the Colorado truck they marketed

OH my Lord, cant believe you went there .... Colorado is many things, no way it was a truck.

I live in Colorado City Texas, We have the Colorado river and the Colorado lake .... we sure do not want to hear about a chevy Colorado ... you take that back  :P

with the Isuzu engine was probably the best offer they have given the public....I just cannot take GM serious on any front....and while a Honda Ridgeline falls into the same truck classification....there is nothing to take back but plenty to close your eyes and pretend you never saw it to begin with....time marches on, Chevies you push out of your way to get to your end goal....

VW still uses a 5 cylinder inline.  The 2013 Beetle I had for a while had one it it, that's what the Jetta uses as well.  VW was using that inline 5 technology back when they switched the Vanagon from the aircooled engine to a liquid cooled one, in the mid '80's at least.    That Beetle I had ran well and got decent gas mileage, but it was underpowered.  Did just fine with just me in it, but had trouble on hills with a passenger...kinda like the '70 Beetle I have now, come to think of it.

2 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

VW still uses a 5 cylinder inline.  The 2013 Beetle I had for a while had one it it, that's what the Jetta uses as well.  VW was using that inline 5 technology back when they switched the Vanagon from the aircooled engine to a liquid cooled one, in the mid '80's at least.    That Beetle I had ran well and got decent gas mileage, but it was underpowered.  Did just fine with just me in it, but had trouble on hills with a passenger...kinda like the '70 Beetle I have now, come to think of it.

I was gonna say just like a real one but....

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:23 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

not to confuse my smart aleck answer above on the GM 5 being an 8 with three burnt valves..the Colorado truck they marketed was popular with a 5 cylinder engine...now as to if home grown or overseas affiliate supplied, I believe the better money is placed on GM's use of the affiliate Isuzu engine...

as a trivia remark...how many remember the early Isuzu commercial where the guy asks the gal if she wanted to see his Isuzu and getting his face slapped in reply?

That Colorado was the platform for the Hummer H3LT I mentioned in an earlier post.  The test drive was OK, but power and gas mileage fell far short of the mark considering the price and competition.  Not necessarily because it was a 5 cyl, more due to it being GM.

my son was given a Colorado as a work vehicle that after x employment time was his to keep...it was however stolen....while nothing was ever seen of the truck...the handgun was eventually returned to my son and the culprit made a visit to prison when he was arrested in commission of a crime.    His replacement work vehicle he asked for a Dodge this time around and got it.  He has since moved on from that company and sports has a new 2019 4 WD Dodge....that thing is more like a car in ride than a truck..they have come a long way in a short time.  And if you do not believe these are built tough....go to the wrecking yard and try to take one apart.....rotsa-ruck bubba

19 hours ago, Los_Control said:

OH my Lord, cant believe you went there .... Colorado is many things, no way it was a truck

I just wanted to apologize to @Plymouthy Adams. Yes I do drive a chevy truck, 1991 350/5spd manual trans ... short bed step side. Very fun truck to drive.

Not against Chevy ... Just not a huge fan of any of the new trucks. Ford, Chevy, Dodge ... they all have built in planned issues for future parts replacement and OEM profit.

I meant that when I lived in Albuquerque, was a fun trip to cruise up to Colorado. Northern NM is gorgeous, and southern Colorado in the Rocky Mountains just beautiful.

Just funny when I end up retired I end up in Colorado City Texas. City is named because we have a crick that runs through town, and it's origin is Colorado River. It ends up in a 500 acre lake just out side of town.

When I jokingly told PA to take that back ... What I meant was, I have more respect for the Word Colorado, then some piece of crap chevy truck named Colorado.

I am actually offended Chevy named a piece of crap truck with a isuzu motor Colorado ... Los pulls up his big boy pants and walks away.  carry on   :P

2 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

and I was in turn poking back at you...

You did pm me and concerned if you may have offended me ... Obvious I am not offended from chevy banter ... maybe someone else took my comments wrong and wanted to explain my position.

Only offended because they used the word Colorado. and they are not worthy of it.

"some piece of crap chevy truck named Colorado."

They had to call it something and Great Wall Wingle 5 was taken. 

In fact it looks like all the good names are gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pickup_trucks

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

gotta love the one known as a SCAM...probably took a gold star in truth in advertising....

There are a number of branding names or acronyms that I wonder about. How can some of these make it though any kind of approval process.

All those trucks and SUVs that have the logo for Toyota Racing Development slapped on is one. It is just the initials and I can’t stop from trying to pronounce those three letters as a word. The first vowel that comes to mind that makes it into a word is a "U". Why would you want to proudly announce to the world that your vehicle is a piece of . . . If I were to get a vehicle with those decals on it I'd be out with a heat gun and a plastic scraper removing them the instant I got it home. Or maybe I just have a weird mind and nobody else sees it the way I do.

you are not alone in this world adding that single vowel to truly describe the vehicle in question....and in truth the owner could well be described if you used the vowel "A"  now before anyone here goes up in arms because there is a small chance this shoe fits.....remember.....

F. Leghorn.jpg