Fuel tank, keep or replace

MarcDeSoto

and now we are at the other extreme and as is most always the case....the middle ground is rarely sought and appreciated....some things are necessary replacement as there is no way it can last forever...rubber is just one of these items....the search for NOS rubber parts would be for a car that is nothing but for show given it does not break chip disintegrate on install...I call middle ground replacement  parts even if repopped as long as they are true to form fit and function without a flagrant slap in your face as radically different is these aspects....normal upkeep as the car should represent not only what came off the showroom but expected to some degree of use by the owner...this hobby has so many facets and ideas as to what is or is not common and proper upkeep.  It is not that hard to tell the difference and whether or not a person is trying to hide an obvious change in fit form and function.  Personally I do not like the trailer queens except to the point that the AACA displays them as some of the most correct renditions....key word, MOST....I have seen some very nice cars but granted they are often only at the AACA events.  The biggest gripe and one that has not been brought up here for a long time is the trailer queen rolled off the trailer and entered into a class with the folks actually driving their cars on the street.  Why I never really go to many shows that are for judging and such...give me the cruise in where not only do they often burn rubber leaving...but you can smell the burnt oil in the air also.....real cars real people real fun.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Hi Marc, I did have a choice with the 49 Plymouth woody as the tanks were special for that car and I couldn’t find another model that used the same (or even similar) tanks. I cleaned mine out and when I cleaned all the rust and varnish away, found that it was Swiss cheese/ lots of pin holes top and bottom. Radiatshops just looked at me funny and a few said they could try (I think with epoxy), but didn’t seen confident. I found a system called re-nu. They have a inner and outer naked on finish (after media blast and prep.) that comes with a lifetime warranty (as long as you own the car). They tag and number each tank. I got an outrageous price from a local shop in the LA/orange area. Called another authorized dealer (I think in Tulare) and found a huge price difference.... so I checked with others and ended up sending it to a shop outside of Seattle and saved even more even with shipping to and from. They were knowledgeable, friendly and listened to my concerns about originality and did a great job and on time. If anything goes wrong, I can still take it to the local shop under warranty.  You may want to check them out. 

https://www.gastankrenu.com

Couldn’t find the cost in my e mails but I did find the company that I went with. Wayne at northwest radiator in Spokane (the other was ABC in Stockton). I’ll get the cost for you tomorrow.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:44 PM, desoto1939 said:

I have a 39 Desoto and the 1937-39 Mopar Tanks only fit my car. These are very hard to find several years ago even NOS. I had contacted a major parts supplier in Georgia and I knew they had a NOS tank.  They quoted me a price of $900 just for the tank..  I had my tank repaired and it has been working fine keeping my fingers crossed.  I know that there are reproduction tanks for the 37-39 mopars and they run about 350 with free shipping.

So if I get one of these tanks I am already a plus 550 ahead of the game and even if it does not last another 60 years like the oirginal I will still be a head of the game because I will be in the grave and then next guy will have to worry about a tank replacement.   A pair of gas tank straps NOS will also run me around $100 and I already have them but mine that are on the car are not rusted.

So for the estimate of $500 for a complete unit I think is a very good price.  I spent a couple hundred dollars when getting mine fixed because I could not afford almost $1000 for a tank.

Rich Hartung

I have my 38 Plymouth Coupe for 34 years now.    I am using a fuel tank from an older datson/Nissan car, where the tanks were in the trunk.   Tank is hotdog shaped and was an easy install.    I saved another tank from a small Toyota, that is very similar, in the trunk, and hotdog shaped.      I saved another tank from a Chevy Luv truck, that is similar.   And all these were free, and in excellent shape.      I had many friends with salvage yards, where they remove the tanks, and through them in a pile, so free for the taking.      

I just ordered a 15 gallon compact rectangular tank that will go in and will have room 360 about it...85.00 new and delivered with EFI outlet and return, vent and fill tubes plus comes with new lock ring and seal....just hard to go wrong....will beat that factory 6.25 gallon tank they come with...my lawnmower tank is almost that large...

beating the bushes for a tank is time consuming but as you on the computer your butt gets a rest and your mind and fingers do the dance.

I too used gas tank renu on my p15 tank. At the time there wasn't an original looking replacement. People were using a large plastic rectangle that fit but I personally thought was goofy looking. Believe I paid about 300 for my tank to be renu'd.

I did the rad shop clean and coat inside, on the 48 Cdn. D24    175 $  and it did have a hole. Maybe should have went new , but with exchange new was 600 plus Canadian $.

I rebuilt the straps , would have been another 120$.  I had a hard time  getting the drain plug not to leak.  It is friggin tight now   .Still no gauge , tried a 17$ China sender I thought might work.  No luck. I guess I have to pay up. 

Plymouth  , what has a 6.5 gallon tank. ?   I am guessing  my d 24 at 12-15

If anyone knows tell me.

Thanks   good to know ,   but without a gauge I fill it every time I leave the yard on my test drives. And make sure I have my phone .   Almost ready to put antique plates on it , and drive the 12 miles to town. I just have to get the brakes tuned in a little better. Gaining every time I adjust , but still pulling more than I like.

neil and ethan.. in answer to our question, the little car I am working now is Brit made and has the 6.25 gallon tank as stock.  It is a 1968 Morris Minor 6cwt van.   The home aftermarket has taken this to a whopping 9.5 replacement tank.  My friend ordered one of these years ago and they refused to ship it to the US as the paperwork was quite an involvement.   I last night ordered a tank that is 15 gallon and hopefully will not be much to mod  and install.  

Ex hired man , that scrapped , was donated a Morris minor car.from an old yard ,  I think it was 50s? Not running,  but all there,  no dings , no rust .I will try and get a pick off him, i  thought if there ever was candidate for a restore that was it.

10 hours ago, neil and ethan said:

Ex hired man , that scrapped , was donated a Morris minor car.from an old yard ,  I think it was 50s? Not running,  but all there,  no dings , no rust .I will try and get a pick off him, i  thought if there ever was candidate for a restore that was it.

the Morris has a very good following in ownership, clubs across many countries and continents....they make almost all parts and panels...they are dirt cheap...this is arguably one of the better durable cars out there for your time, money, driving fun, ease of upgrades and return on your money after the fact.    I think you would have fun with this puppy...they a lot of car for for the smaller size they are.  .