fuel sending unit question

MarcDeSoto

Well, I finally removed the fuel sending unit from the trunk of my 48 DeSoto.  The sending unit is toast, since it's 72 years old!  Ever seen a 72 year old cork that's been sitting in stale gas forever!  What is the going price for these sending units.  I know Ebay has them for $89 plastic float, and $99 real cork float, and free shipping.  Does anyone sell the same thing for less?  

Bernbaums sells tank uniuts for 85$.

https://www.oldmoparts.com/parts-fuel.aspx (scroll down a bit)

I got mine 2 years ago, this one had no cork float. Don´t remember what kind of,

but seemed trustworthy.

The old one was cork  and couldn´t swim any more.

Be sure to have the hole gas- tight, as gas may flood out when filling the tube above!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

On 6/22/2020 at 5:14 AM, Sniper said:

I was in my local Ace the other day getting hardware for a project I was building.  They sell corks there. 

You don't mean corks for sending units do you?  You probably mean wine bottle corks.  

A cork float fuel cap gauge is common in some of the antique aircraft. I've purchased corks at the hardware store (Lowes the last time I needed them) and after they are sealed with a thin coat of tank sealant (in the olden days shellac was used) they will last several years. I see no reason why this wouldn't work with an automotive sender if someone was determined to save an old sender. The photo shows two corks working in tandem.

tank-18.jpg.f916c6f7b6e713ff6a1be9ad0b7c6264.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

• 1 month later...

Marc....I had the same problem....Cork floats are sealed at the factory with shellac...Alcohol is the solvent for shellac...Most gasoline used now has alcohol

in it....Don't put a new cork float in...Snyders Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield, Ohio, ( Model A & T's), sells, for a few dollars , a float for a Model A Ford,

that is some kind of plastic and is guaranteed to never absorb gasoline...I bought 2 for my '47 Plymouth Coupe....They are slightly shorter than the Plymouth 

float, so I thought if one is good, two have got to be better....I'm 87, so it saved me a lot of hair pulling, as I don't have much to spare...Works like a charm...

1 hour ago, harveyspoint said:

Marc....I had the same problem....Cork floats are sealed at the factory with shellac...Alcohol is the solvent for shellac...Most gasoline used now has alcohol

in it....Don't put a new cork float in...Snyders Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield, Ohio, ( Model A & T's), sells, for a few dollars , a float for a Model A Ford,

that is some kind of plastic and is guaranteed to never absorb gasoline...I bought 2 for my '47 Plymouth Coupe....They are slightly shorter than the Plymouth 

float, so I thought if one is good, two have got to be better....I'm 87, so it saved me a lot of hair pulling, as I don't have much to spare...Works like a charm...

Thanks for that. I am just about to order the same part from macs