'49 Coronet Basket Case Rebuild

maddmaxx1949

2 hours ago, maddmaxx1949 said:

Well you can't see me in this video, but I was grinning from ear to ear! First movement under its own power since I got it and probably long since before I was alive. Strapped the battery down to the upper control arm and wired a stick to the accelerator linkage so I could hand operate it and away she went  :) I'll get a shot of the inside  here soon while I drive it. I don't have brakes yet and I could turn too fast or all the tools would've fallen out the rocker areas, but oh man it's a good day. Thank you all who have helped me get to this point so far, it means a ton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY0ZLReR_P8

This brings back a lot of memories. I found a couple of pictures taken in 1978/79 when my 1948 Dodge D25 club coupe was going through the same process. I was much younger then and this was my first project. I lived on the edge of a small town at the time and I would fire the old girl up and drive across the highway to the local cemetery and go cruising………usually at night and with a flashlight for vision. Sat on an old milk crate. Crazy but fun!! I don’t think the local residents minded. ?

Battery strapped to upper control arm. 

94ED7203-9D79-45EE-810F-C4064E22019B.jpeg.835bea15253d924e6a42169cb6e73338.jpeg

Gas tank

61AAA363-5E35-444E-AD76-1BCAF9BFE093.jpeg.ad1ce90218e9bb1ea7a21f2c331ebfc7.jpeg

40+ years later. 

BFB7C666-2F06-4328-8280-1396D5474EBF.jpeg.9a67062adfa8b3685700237db34c56e8.jpeg

C64E861C-C2D5-44EA-BB63-023B90E506BF.jpeg.69ef7d061fcfe45e494bba5c8f4e0fd4.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB

Thats right where I put my battery haha. I used a Mason Jar so I couldn't go very far... That's a beautiful car you have there Robert. Not sure If mine will ever be brought back to that quality but It will be nice to be able to cruise with it

I’m pretty sure your car will end up very nice. I’ve had 40+ more years to work on mine. The engine in the pictures was  replaced shortly after as it had zero oil pressure. Now running with a 251 CID I paid a bottle of whisky for. It was a good deal as I still have the motor in the car and the bottle of whisky was probably gone in a week. The car has also had two paint jobs. One I did with a friend just to get it on the road and it was pretty crappy. About 10 years ago I finally had it repainted professionally. They are always projects but repay you with days like you had today. ?

Edited by RobertKB

• 9 months later...

Guys it has been a while since I've been on here. I wanted to just give an update. I am alive so that's a plus but I am really struggling right now going through my late 20's crisis I guess. @Sniper I am still working on getting those distribution tubes made but It had to be put on the back burner.  Apologies for not following up and getting things taken care of when I said I would. I'm hoping to get things turned around in the next couple months and get back on track and back getting this car restored. I haven't been able to get to this project as much as it deserves.

On a side note, when I do get back to it full time I will need some paint advice....