how to rebuilt a Cardboard heater box

lepic56

on my 1951 dodge , i have this cardboard heater box that connect the radiator heater to the inside of the car,,    how can i fix this?? tape or can I still buy good one on the internet???

20200619_154427.jpg

I have seen one regular awhile back on EBay. I made mine out of .032 aluminum....wasn’t quick. Someone here if I recall rebuilt theirs with fibreglass.

Edited by laynrubber

This brings back some old memories of working on my first car, a 1950 Chrysler Windsor.  I was working on the engine and resting my left hand of the heater box, when Wham!  my hand broke through the box.  I think I jury rigged it with cardboard and duct tape.  Now of course they sell re-pops.  I couldn't fin Andy Bernbaum's heater box, but I did find this one on Ebay.  Not cheap.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Duct-Chrysler-DeSoto-6cyl1949-1950-1951-1952-OrigStyle-install-ready/272832648001?hash=item3f8617d341:g:XZ0AAOxyNDxRYWvw

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

I taped mine with black duct tape, but it wasn't in terrible shape so it worked well.  Any worse and I would've had to find a better solution.  

• Like 1

Mine was in pretty good shape but one of the heater hoses had worn a hole in it.  I tried patching it in various ways -even tried papier mache, but it ended up looking worse! I’m going to use fibreglass with resin to repair it properly this week. I’ll let you know how I get on!

• Like 1