Model 65 Heater Defroster

I have a Model 65 heater which I intend to install in my 51 B3B.  I'm trying to figure out how the simple-looking defroster valve works. It seems to me the valve should open up when the defroster cable is pulled out and it should close when the cable is pushed in. From my perspective it looks like it would work opposite to that. Should the cable be threaded into the top of the hole in photo 2 or  come up through the bottom? Should there be a spring somewhere to help close the valve or does the cable alone open and close it? I'm scratching my head on this one. 

20200619_090537_resized.jpg.8b460094a78f10d4ade3336972f8af2a.jpg 20200619_090506_resized.jpg.d5aceeb63e39d39a9422991445d3d5fd.jpg

20200619_090550_resized.jpg.e06c8b35d5e6a8f0a1ab0b600fcf2ed6.jpg

I have the same unit in my truck. It is open when pushed in and closed pulled out. You have to think of it as a flow diverter. When it is open you get much less flow to the defroster vents.

It doesn't get too cold here but we do get heavy fog and humid rain which can fog up the windows badly. I decided to use one of these to deal with those conditions. I added the fresh air intake as well. It worked so-so until I came up with the idea to cover the other air outlets in the heater assembly. I made a couple of covers from thin aluminum and stuck them over the outlets. Now with the fan on high and the defroster knob pulled out all the air flow is pushed through the ducting up onto the windsheild. It works really well like this and will still heat the cab up plenty quick for here.

Hth, Jeff

• Thanks 2

Jeff,

Thanks, good answer. I should have realized it's a diverter. I'm trying to put together a fresh air setup too. So far I only have the intake assembly so I keep checking eBay looking for a good valve, shroud, and hose support. As a side note I took my Model 65 to DCM Classics to have it disassembled and to have the parts blasted and repainted. I'm putting it back together at home in my garage. DCM not only supplies parts, but they also do very nice restoration work including sheet metal fabrication and paint. I really like their facility. It's clean, spacious, and well-organized. They're not paying me for my comments and I'm not an old friend or relative. Just offering my observations on the forum.

20200619_115359_resized.jpg.1cec5fd8377e52343784ac6b2697cf3a.jpg

20200619_115508_resized.jpg.af40ddcb82d2a43dcf8296de21effcda.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
add photos
  • Thanks 1

If my B3B had been in better shape when I bought it I might have kept it in a "patina" state of existence, but my truck was too far gone. It's been a five year rescue operation to be honest. The previous owner had painted it over with some gray stuff, the toe boards were missing, large holes were chopped in the rear fenders, the front fender brackets were rusted through (of course), original gauges were gone, brakes were totally non-functional, horn ring was gone, wiring was shot and needed total replacement, bed floor was trash, etc, etc. I had no choice but to take it back to factory original as much as possible. It's not 100% factory (none of them are I'm sure) as you can see from the tires. I also added turn signals.

She's getting there...

20200620_082129_resized.jpg.8446a851e6d591e98b6b3f4a8f984091.jpg 20200620_082012_resized.jpg.feece5f9452508d488cc17077256e0a4.jpg

20200620_081958_resized.jpg.dc73c79b833d9c7d88719e1f598920bf.jpg 20200620_083329_resized.jpg.a8bf8fe76fd740df75ac8627d0bb760d.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is very nice. Doing something like this truck is about as good as it gets. And very rewarding when you start using it. I really enjoy driving mine. I don't know what your plans are but I use mine as my daily driver at it is up to the task. After 5 plus years I can't imagine wanting any thing else.

Have fun, Jeff

4 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

That is very nice. Doing something like this truck is about as good as it gets. And very rewarding when you start using it. I really enjoy driving mine. I don't know what your plans are but I use mine as my daily driver at it is up to the task. After 5 plus years I can't imagine wanting any thing else.

Have fun, Jeff

glad to see you’re still using it.  sounds like you’ve really enjoyed it.

i don’t daily mine (1.5-ton), and it has been off the road for 18 months after putting the #2 rod through the side of the block, but i’m working on the replacement block (a 251) and prepping stuff to remove the trashed 237 from the truck.  hope to have it back on the road this fall.

Hey Wally;

Sorry to hear about your engine woes. I feel certain you will get it properly rectified.

You know some of your exploits really kept me going during my build. Love the ice harvesting expeditions!!! It really helped to see guys using their trucks as they were meant to be used. I have been enjoying driving mine. They are very cool trucks. It took a bit of getting used to at first but now I feel strange driving anything else. Driving one of these definitely leaves a lasting impression.......and it is all good.

Jeff

i'll get it back on the road for certain; i enjoy driving it and using it too much not to do it!  it is fun to drive, but is a bit more work than a 1/2, 3/4, or 1-ton as far as running it daily.

fwiw, i've enjoyed following along as you worked the kinks out of yours and got it reliable to run as a DD.  i have some minor dream of getting my dad's '52 b-3-c express back on the road as a DD myself, but that would be 4 or 5 years down the road (i learned to drive on it back in the 1980s).

• Like 1

Wally;

I am certain that you will get the big one back at it. As far as a daily driver goes a 3/4 T is about as perfect a platform as you can get. The longer wheelbase really works and they ride quite nice. As with all projects like this there were a few things I should have done differently. Some of these I have since corrected. ? But for the most part I pretty much got it right.

When you are ready to do this I would be happy to share some my observations and input.

I was thinking about this whole experience last night. I have to tell you it really helped me to have guys like you and DollyDodge, Merle and a handful of others actually using these trucks like they were meant to be. At the time I was building my truck I was pretty much surrounded by naysayers.........but seeing what you all were doing got me through it. Now many thousands of miles later I am enjoying the last laugh over the naysayers. Nuthin' much sweeter than that.......

Jeff