Fuel pump problems and question

bridog57

I have a 1949 B series 5 window that I'm in the process of doing the body work on. I went to Move It Outside The Barn to grind off some bolts so I could remove the bed for body work. The motor is lost his prime started it up with some ether fuel pump kicked in squirting fuel everywhere. The pump has less than 2 years old I've already ordered another one. I'm thinking of switching to an electric pump. My system is still 6 volt positive ground. I would love to get this thing switched over to 12 volt and upgrade everything but it's a marathon not a Sprint. Any suggestions on my fuel pump issue would be great. If I decide to go Electric what is the proper wiring schematic? I just added a couple pictures the truck that I'm working on because I'm excited about it it was my father-in-law's pride and joy he had a stroke and couldn't keep it up. It for five years my wife and her sister were going to sell it I told him I would keep it and fix it up. My father-in-law is in a nursing home and I'm hoping I can get it paint it and take him for one final ride. Got a lot of work to do and on a budget.

20200524_190042.jpg

20200524_200426.jpg

20200527_204523.jpg

20171021_142259.jpg

oft times the premature failure of a pump can be attributed to ethanol fuel and way too often trash getting in the diaphragm of the pump...if you filter when taken apart for inspects show lots of rust particle/foreign matter...or the inlet screen on the pump....it is time for a good flushing of the tank, possible sealer applied though I do not care for sealers and new filters put in place...if one is good, two is better....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

A 6V electric pump is a pretty easy, worthwhile project. A power wire fused from key switch works. Wire it to the negative wire of the 6V pump. Put the positive wire of the pump to ground.  That's it.  I wired mine up to a toggle switch on the dash. I use the stock type mechanical pump mainly. I use electric for pre-start priming, vapor lock, or if needed on long full-throttle hill climbs. The electric assists the mechanical pump in my scenario. The pump will have an inlet and outlet side. Plumb it up accordingly. Suggest having a filter before the electric pump. Change it out every year or two to keep the pump with a good free supply of fuel from the tank. Best practice seems to be to mount it near the fuel tank. You can choose to mount it before the mechanical pump, or after. Both positions work in my experience. Currently my 6V pump is after the mechanical pump. It pulls fuel through no problem.

Edited by keithb7

In my opinion a rebuilt pump, with a kit from Then and Now Automotive, is far superior to any new pumps on the market. I've heard, and seen, to many horror stories of fulcrum pins coming out of new pumps. This won't be the case with a kit from Then and Now. http://www.then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/

Consider that the pump you removed was likely cast and made in North America. The quality was good. Especially compared to the off-shore cheap pumps you may be pricing out today. You may be better off rebuilding your USA pump with the kit, compared to buying a new off-shore pump this is priced lower than the rebuild kit.

Yeah I agreed that the original is better and should be rebuilt.  But it's more about budget right now than the best thing.  I ordered a replacement pump so I can move the truck outside to cut the fender, running boards, and bed off. I will keep original to rebuild later.  I am trying get  body work done before I have to go back to work.  I am a teacher and budget and time are major factors.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:51 PM, keithb7 said:

A 6V electric pump is a pretty easy, worthwhile project. A power wire fused from key switch works. Wire it to the negative wire of the 6V pump. Put the positive wire of the pump to ground.  That's it.  I wired mine up to a toggle switch on the dash. I use the stock type mechanical pump mainly. I use electric for pre-start priming, vapor lock, or if needed on long full-throttle hill climbs. The electric assists the mechanical pump in my scenario. The pump will have an inlet and outlet side. Plumb it up accordingly. Suggest having a filter before the electric pump. Change it out every year or two to keep the pump with a good free supply of fuel from the tank. Best practice seems to be to mount it near the fuel tank. You can choose to mount it before the mechanical pump, or after. Both positions work in my experience. Currently my 6V pump is after the mechanical pump. It pulls fuel through no problem.

Hi Keith

excellent post,  I just received my 6v electric pump. and I was going to ask ''How to mount it '' in a topic, but  you answer all my question,  my mecanical pump is new, so the electric pump will be for back-up,,  thank you ?

20200617_171417.jpg