The Crusade of the 1951 Crusader

lepic56

HI

I like to start a new topic, on My 1951 Dodge Crusader ,D40-1-4,, or a Plodge,  a Plymouth Body with a Dodge front clip..

bought this Dodge in October 2019,drove only 150 miles,,  and then to storage in November for the winter.. Never had a Mopar that old, I was more into the 60's mopars,

Did watched the complete Library of Chrysler Master tech on youtube.. so much fun and so much knowledge,,  a must for everyone how owned a Mopar. 

Now here what happen, coming out of storage , no problems, started right up after 2 tried, did poured some gas in the carb ,

Ran fast idle for a good 10 minutes,  Had a 30 Miles run to go home..  never made it!!! on it owns,, I had to call a towing,,

After 10 miles. if I stop and accelerated throught the gears, went I got in 3e gears ,, it will start to act-up, i will not accelerated, spit & spodder thought the carb.  Just like it ran-out of gas!!?? the glass bold was full of fuel , from what I can see, if I pourred so gas down the carb, it would fire -up & died. 

The next morning, fired right up, no problems. like nothing happen ????   So ,First I replaced the 6 volts coil with a new one, Blue streak by Standard,,  worked fine, but I also had a brand new gas pump ,a SPECTRA PREMIUM SP1296MP fuel pump.. 

Drove the car around the blocks a few times,, no problems,, so it was the coil??  no wrong!!  (maybe)

On my way to my friend house, He has a lift in his garage,  I was going to grease the many dozens of grease nipples,, and replaced the fuel pump since I had buy it anyway..  to make the 5 miles or so ride, I took the long way to his place, more like 10 miles ,,  Quest what!!???

It start to acted-up again going up-hill in 3th gear,,,  I made it to his place without accelerating in 3th gear, 

So I took the right inner  fender off,  took a few pics,,, 

WOW!!  the fuel pump pin that hold the actual pump level , the pivot pin had come out,,  

plus check the engine tag,,  Industrial engine  ,, oh well don't know what to thing  ??  Good or Bad??

large.1696090626_P8(533x800).jpg.184cc752cf483a334e83077fba0ee58b.jpglarge.1736348878_20200611_114116(640x480).jpg.0d01dbf675bb2e62341c8d02d40977e3.jpglarge.1581118166_20200611_114123(640x480).jpg.dd4bb7893177f0a967c016a77038d74f.jpg

P2.jpg

20200610_202913 (640x480).jpg

If I remember right an industrial engine may have a different cam than a road going engine as the purpose is different.  Compression ratio, carb. maybe as well. Plus being a Canadian engine it would be 25 inch block.  Also could have been rebuilt to road specs I imagine. Neither good nor bad, just different. Nice car.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

Sometimes the rubber hose between the frame and fuel pump will collapse or partially collapse when under load because it is old and in bad condition. Worse when things get hot. Easy to replace. Been there and done that. 

Very nice car and colour is similar to my ‘51 Dodge D39 Kingsway which is also a Canadian model. Looks like you have ‘54 Plymouth headlight bezels (rings) on you car. 

1C727B0F-2D21-48FA-B573-39EFA540E374.jpeg.c4a6bf4b48772a9ad2771e84d78c6eac.jpeg

• Like 1

first thing I would check is the cap on the fuel tank.  If the vent is plugged, the car will run only so long until it starves for fuel.

next would be the flexible line.  following that, the condition of the tank as it has an internal filter which may be plugged with rust from the tank itself.

The heat shield is missing which might contribute to vapor lock if the weather is very hot.  The stud on the pump supports the shield. The other end goes under the front manifold bolt.

The engine, if it is in good shape will be just fine, possibly better than the original.  Your car is a beauty.  I passed one just like it in traffic near my home recently ..  

Not likely you since I am on Vancouver Island.

• Like 1

Yes, sounds like a fuel starvation issue.  Something may be preventing the carburetor's fuel bowl from filling up fast enough.  A tell tale is poor performance or stalling when there is a demand for more fuel (hills, acceleration, speed), because the fuel bowl runs dry.  I'm thinking some sort of sediment in the fuel system due to storing the car, could be dirt accumulated over the years, rust, or sugar crystals from ethanol gas (if your fuel system isn't air tight and the fuel evaporates out of the lines and carburetor over the storage period, the ethanol won't evaporate, it will crystalize - if no stabilizer is added).  I know you know where to get non-ethanol gas in the U.S., but you didn't mention whether or not you use it in that "Non-ethanol Gas" thread the other day.  Don't know if ethanol free gas is available in Canada, or the other way around.  We're at the same latitude, so I don't think heat has been an issue.  Or, simply that pin backing out of the fuel pump reduced it's efficiency.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Yes, sounds like a fuel starvation issue.  Something may be preventing the carburetor's fuel bowl from filling up fast enough.  A tell tale is poor performance or stalling when there is a demand for more fuel (hills, acceleration, speed), because the fuel bowl runs dry.  I'm thinking some sort of sediment in the fuel system due to storing the car, could be dirt accumulated over the years, rust, or sugar crystals from ethanol gas (if your fuel system isn't air tight and the fuel evaporates out of the lines and carburetor over the storage period, the ethanol won't evaporate, it will crystalize - if no stabilizer is added).  I know you know where to get non-ethanol gas in the U.S., but you didn't mention whether or not you use it in that "Non-ethanol Gas" thread the other day.  Don't know if ethanol free gas is available in Canada, or the other way around.  We're at the same latitude, so I don't think heat has been an issue.  Or, simply that pin backing out of the fuel pump reduced it's efficiency.  

Hi Dan

so far so good for the fuel pump, I'm gonna have to pull the fuel filter inside the tank,,  also maybe I should check the float level in the carb. As for the Ethanol-free gas, I get it from Costco, the 87 & 91 octane is Ethanol-free, also Esso , Shell and Petro-Canada in their 91 octane.

1 hour ago, junkers72 said:

Pic #2 of your fuel pump appears that the pivot pin has walked out

yes , I think this was my problem with fuel starvation, I did installed a new SPECTRA PREMIUM SP1296MP fuel pump. from RockAuto..   So far so good .. but will check furthermore, like the rubber hose and the in-tank filter.

There are just so many quirky little things with these old cars. The fuel pump fulcrum pin backing out is another one of these little annoyances we have to learn about the hard way. LOL. Sometimes it feels like keeping these old cars reliable and roadworthy, is like herding cats. ;)  It's fun though. Enjoy all the humbling experiences.  Get AAA premiere. With it I can wonder recklessly all over my region and get towed home up to 200 or so miles away!

• Like 1

REPLACED the coil , look like a original coil, this Dodge was going to cars show for points years ago,,  not me it's a daily driver,, 

anyway I installed a New Standard Blue streak  coil & fixed the wire from the coil to the distributor,,

IMG_0881 (640x640).jpg

20200618_144815(0).jpg

Edited by lepic56
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...