Generator to alternator

MarkAubuchon

4 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Quality Power is another option. I have their converted GM single wire in 6V positive ground and the bracket they sell. It's been flawless in daily service for over 5 years. Seems to me it cost under $200 at that time.

Hth, Jeff

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_24/6-Volt-Alternators-Positive-Ground.htm

I almost got this but the $40 shipping fee made me think again. I usually drive in the day light and usually on nice days so my generator(rebuilt in 2014) still does OK. With a light load it charges at idle.

I have to confess, I just don’t understand the logic behind the dislike of generators. Its like:

old heavy unsafe car - Love It

old low power inefficient flathead - Love it

old 6V generator - Get it out of my car!

Generators are part of the vintage vibe. They make a vintage engine bay look vintage. They work fine, even if it is disconcerting to see a 20A discharge when stopped at a light (with accessories on). Why the hate for generators?

My 50 New Yorker had an original, miserable electrical system when I bought it. The battery was always run down, wipers were dead slow, lights kind of dim. I replaced all the wiring front to back, using the proper gauge, including removing the dash and replacing all the wiring there. And I made sure everything was well grounded. I Installed a new Optima battery and a NOS regulator. 

I am still running the original generator. I haven’t even taken it out to check the brushes and bearings, although I will this summer. Generators work fine but it seems that the vintage electrical parts  - generators, 6 V and points ignition, just gets no love compared the the rest of our vintage machinery.

I admit I am a retired Electrical Engineer who always loved vintage electrical and electronic gear, more that the modern stuff I worked on for a living.

Curt

while the argument is not a flat out hatred for the 6v system...the hatred is in the fact many shopping LOCALLY for support parts find great issue here and thus the disgust.  Second is the number of folks who are not content with the old system and it draw back for creature comforts.  Many like their car styles as they appeal to them in this manner but the older mechanics limit their ability to use the car in the manner they wish.   Many just like to make it an all out performance car...in any case they have their argument and you have yours.  Many think it is a waste I spend the time I do on later model V engines and yet at the same time I see their attempt at speed components on an old flattie in the same light....WHY...!  All in what yo want and how you like to spend your money.  Most is for oohs and ahs as it is for the flathead speed stuff, the kid on the mini bike is not even going to take you seriously.  As long as they don't have a brand X engine in them I can pretty much accept any and all other whimsical differences.  Brand X and GALP just two things that don't belong on an old Mopar.....

• Like 1

I converted to a 12v alternator because generators are inefficient and I don't care to scour the internet looking for 6v accessories then pay twice as much for them as I could a 12v one. 

I learned a very long tome ago the benefits of very good headlights, not going to happen with any 6v setup out there. 

Plus I want AC as I drive my 51 routinely, it's my daily driver.  I take it out when it's raining, it's dark, it's nice, whatever,  I drive my car I don;t want to be constrained to keeping it in the garage unless it's perfect out.

• Like 1

It's sorta the same thing, H-D finally started putting alternators on shovelheads in 1970 and one of the guys I rode with said everything up until then was just broke down. Nobody argued with him. OTOH I have a Moto Guzzi running a VW Bosch 12v generator and a shovelhead with a Cycle Electric 12v generator with a s.s. regulator and they both work fine. 

I'll post a related story in OT about a late Saturday night/Sunday morning rescue of a friend on a panhead broke down in Tennessee with a fried genny many years ago. A cautionary story for any young ones who may read it but fun, too!!

I run a 6 volt neg ground alternator in my 47 with stock distributor/points. The headlights are always bright now and the electric wipers no longer slow down while idling. The generator worked as it should and I never had any issues with it outside of the norm but I drive it often and for safety the upgrade is worth it to me. I prefer the alternator upgrade on the old generator bikes as well in most cases and points for the ignition.

Edited by Veemoney
clarify

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about swapping my generator for an alternator. My generator hasn't been touched in 25 years and I'm a little concerned about it failing. I would like to have an alternator that charges at idle and keeps my lights brighter when sitting at a red light. 

What amperage would be recommended for a stock car? The 100 amp seems overkill and one in the 60 amp range is $50 bucks cheaper.

Well, it depends on whether you are keeping it 6v or are going 12v. 

No need for more amperage than stock if it's otherwise stock. 

If you are keeping it 6v and you have no added electrical loads from stock then an alternator with 30A output is probably more than enough.  If you are going 12v and you have no added electrical loads from stock then an alternator with 15A output is probably more than enough.  Double the voltage halves the amperage requirement.  No odds of finding a 15A 12v alternator are slim but it just points out that you can use a small 12v alternator just fine.

One of the reasons generators were replaced was that alternator charge at idle.