need for speed in an antique car or truck

desoto1939

There is indeed a certain amount of excitement involved with driving something faster than it was intended to be driven.  Pursuing a felon in a cop-car built to do just that?...meh.  Racing a riding mower at a "neck-snapping" 20 to 30 mph?...now that's an adrenaline rush!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

I am definitely not one of those, lol.  I can appreciate a stock type ride but for me I like things hot rodded.  Nothing so permanent it couldn't be undone, but I don't have a problem upgrading things either.  I am on the cusp of getting an adapter to put one of my spare A833OD's behind the flathead, I'll keep the original trans, driveshaft and what ever else I remove putting this in, but it'll not be stock.  Same with my engine upgrades, I will still have the stock parts I removed, but it'll be updated with better stuff.  No plans to put in a different engine, just update the one I have.  Brakes too.  So much stuff, so little time.

To each their own. That said I just put a progressive Two barrel carb on mine  so I guess I cannot talk.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

I was born and raised around modified cars. My dad built and raced the old dirt modified coupes/sedans making his way up to running a asphalt and a few ARCA races. He also built and raced a 40 Willy Gasser. So, I like modified stuff. That said before I added any "speed" equipment to my 48 I totally rebuilt the suspension front and rear and added disc brakes to improve the stopping before ever adding the head, carbs, headers and OD. 

Making an old car run faster on an old worn out suspension/brake system is never a good idea. Unfortunately, a lot of people dive right in throwing all kinds of parts at the engine to improve performance before they ever even think about upgrading the foundation. That is when they get in over their head and become a potential danger to themselves and everyone else. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hkestes41 said:

I was born and raised around modified cars. My dad built and raced the old dirt modified coupes/sedans making his way up to running a asphalt and a few ARCA races. He also built and raced a 40 Willy Gasser. So, I like modified stuff. That said before I added any "speed" equipment to my 48 I totally rebuilt the suspension front and rear and added disc brakes to improve the stopping before ever adding the head, carbs, headers and OD. 

Making an old car run faster on an old worn out suspension/brake system is never a good idea. Unfortunately, a lot of people dive right in throwing all kinds of parts at the engine to improve performance before they ever even think about upgrading the foundation. That is when they get in over their head and become a potential danger to themselves and everyone else. 

Hkestes41:  I totally agree with what you are saying. Lets make a car such as this 1937 Desoto Convertible rumble seat coupe with the original factory suspension and brakes and lets add speed equipment to the car to go 65+ mph.  This car does not have any protection incase the car rolls over because of driver error or a mechanical breakdown that could happen. The potential buyer was asking questions about the car like would the dodge head and intake manifold fit on the Desoto, so it is obvious that he does not know about the desoto car but wants to make modifications to it prior to even purchasing the car.

Rich Hartung

People have been modifying cars since the day 1, it's in our blood....  Seeing people posting about roll over protection or other features that new cars have makes others think our cars belong in a museum and not on the road, and is a killer to our hobby regardless is you like stockers or hot rods.  I have had people ask me if I feel safe at 70mph in these old cars or state driving an old car is a risk to others.  Let's not perpetuate that talk or it could find itself legislated.

These cars will handle 60-80 mph just fine on stock suspension, brakes of the era should be upgraded but I have driven 30's cars with beam front axles for hours at higher speeds and they do just fine.  All my cars have disc brakes...  If you're scared to push the envelope a little, maybe take up something safer like knitting :) 

Oh, and I would drive that 37 DeSoto conv at 80mph all day with suspension that's not worn out and disc brakes.  Maybe shim the axle a little to add some caster too....

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

I think experimenting and taking things already created and changing them and modifying them into something different is built into some people. And I believe it's been that way since man began walking the earth. We all have different things that drive us (no pun intended) and give us satisfaction. I would venture to guess that 99% of us on this site get a great amount of enjoyment from working with our hands. Whether it is just maintaining our vehicle, adding little performance or safety upgrades or the ones who do the full blown drive line modifications.

Myself, I can only afford to have 1 antique car. I would love to be able to have a bone stock fat fender and a hotrod. But that's not financially feasible. But I do want to drive it. And drive it a lot. I want to drive it everyday! I have 30 miles of interstate between me and work everyday. Sure I could take old county hiway but I'd still be 20 mph under the speed limit. These days that is not safe.

My plan is to modify to the point where I can drive my 48 on the interstate, safely at interstate speeds. And I love working with my hands and creating and modifying. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the ingenuity and creativity that went into originally building my car. It amazes me when I think of what they did in the past with only pencil and paper. 

A saying I learned long ago and try to practice is "Live and Let Live". Who am I to question others motivations unless I step into their shoes.

I bought a 48 Plymouth special deluxe that had the old flattie pulled and they put in a straight 6 Chevy and 3 speed. My plan is to go back Plymouth (Hopefully this gets me some brownie points after my rant). But I'm going with a 67 Belvedere 273 V8, auto and rear end. I'm also a student and fan of 1960's technology. But at least it will be all Mopar!   

Donnie T

1 hour ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

If you're scared to push the envelope a little, maybe take up something safer like knitting :) 

That'll raise a few feathers. LOL.

Do as you please. Everyone has their own individual reasons for not having the desire to drive a 1937 Desoto at 80 mph all day. Nor jumping out of airplanes. Or free climbing El Capitan. It's not because we are scared. We've all done dumber things at different times in our lives. It's more likely due to experience and common sense that we develop as we age. Risk versus reward. I like my teeth and brains inside my skull. It's not worth the risk to me, at this point in my life. When I was younger, you bet. I was invincible. Scared, no. Smarter as I've aged? I like to think so.

Reminds me of a saying I once heard about a father and son buffalo out on the big prairie. Staring at a pasture full of cows off in the distance. The sons says, "hey dad what say we run down there real fast and bag a cow each?"..Dad says, "how about we walk down there and bag 'em all?"....That's experience. LOL.

Edited by keithb7
  • Haha 1

I like 'em all. The stock, the modified, the rodded, all of 'em. I find driving a truly fast car slowly to be very " cool" but my enjoyment with my '41 is hard to explain. I love it because it is different. I love it because of the work my dad and I did together on it. It isn't truly stock, but it isn't really modified much in my opinion. I enjoy keeping it going and driving it. I replaced the rear with a higher gear (3.27 Ford 8.8), it has a 48 Dodge 230 and fluid drive, radial tires, auxillary electric fuel pump, Optima 6 volt battery. I rewired it with a homemade harness so I didn't need my 8 volt battery anymore. I rarely upgrade anything until the existing needs attention, then I consider options. I also like doing things on the cheap when I can. I like doing my own work. I have yet to have anything professionally done on it in 30 years. I agree with the guys that say "your car, your choice". I don't judge, but I really appreciate a backyard mechanics efforts over the best that money can buy approach.

6 minutes ago, oldodge41 said:

I like 'em all. The stock, the modified, the rodded, all of 'em. I find driving a truly fast car slowly to be very " cool" but my enjoyment with my '41 is hard to explain. I love it because it is different. I love it because of the work my dad and I did together on it. It isn't truly stock, but it isn't really modified much in my opinion. I enjoy keeping it going and driving it. I replaced the rear with a higher gear (3.27 Ford 8.8), it has a 48 Dodge 230 and fluid drive, radial tires, auxillary electric fuel pump, Optima 6 volt battery. I rewired it with a homemade harness so I didn't need my 8 volt battery anymore. I rarely upgrade anything until the existing needs attention, then I consider options. I also like doing things on the cheap when I can. I like doing my own work. I have yet to have anything professionally done on it in 30 years. I agree with the guys that say "your car, your choice". I don't judge, but I really appreciate a backyard mechanics efforts over the best that money can buy approach.

What's your impression of the 3.27 gearing? Does it work well pulling hills and that sort of thing. 

I took the wife and my boys out for lunch on Monday in celebration of my wife remaining married to me for 18 years.  An obviously blind cripple driving a Buick Enclave pulled out in front of us not even stopping before making a rt. turn on red.  Had I not installed front disc brakes and been running radials, I know that I would have hit him HARD.  It was that close!  I mean, I guess I can just keep my car in the garage and only drive it in my driveway.  I get the impression that that is what a lot people do with their antique cars.  The majourity of the incompetent drivers out there have no concept of what is safe.  They get away doing stuff where Honda Civics can give them the space they want.  I don't modify my car to go fast.  I have made them to keep my car safe from the incompetent that tailgate, swerve into a space just barely big enough for their car to fit, and idiots that pull out with less than two car lengths space.  They don't care about their own vehicles and they care even less about mine.

and...what is worse is they claim "I never saw the guy" and with that comment think of the poor guy on a cycle being about 1/10th the size.  I believe themwhen they say they never saw ya as they never even looked...bad in my area....seems a number of folks drive their trucks like their tractors in a field...slow speed, quick 'end of row' turns without a glance for traffic...I mean, how many fields have another tractor tailgating them...most tractors have no turn signals either...the classic move here is pull out onto a 55MPH road, no glance for traffic, go 50 feet and turn left into another field....you can hear the eggs in the cartoon shrieking before they crack as you braking hard...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

What's your impression of the 3.27 gearing? Does it work well pulling hills and that sort of thing. 

Hi Mack, It works well for me. Not a cure all, but it lets me cruise at 55 in an RPM zone where my engine feels happy. I don't run above 60 regardless. I am a secondary roads kind of guy. I have modern vehicles for the part of my life that requires higher speeds. Uphill speeds are about the same as, or a little better than, before but sometimes in second instead of third gear. It made my 1st and 2nd gear relevant. The fluid drive makes starts from a dead stop, even uphill, a non-issue. Not sure how it would work without fluid drive, maybe require some slippage of the clutch? I don't know. I have had higher gearing (2.90) in more modern standard shift cars and had no issues, but they were lighter and had a little more hp . I also have shorter than stock tires that I believe puts me closer to an actual 3.60 final ratio. I would love to try a 3.55 for comparison, but not enough to actually do it. LOL  I will drive my car a couple hundred miles a day going nowhere but "for a ride" and like I said it works well for me. I really never consider putting the 4:11 back in now that I think about it.........As an old forum member used to tell me "This may or may not help".

11 minutes ago, oldodge41 said:

Hi Mack, It works well for me. Not a cure all, but it lets me cruise at 55 in an RPM zone where my engine feels happy. I don't run above 60 regardless. I am a secondary roads kind of guy. I have modern vehicles for the part of my life that requires higher speeds. Uphill speeds are about the same as, or a little better than, before but sometimes in second instead of third gear. It made my 1st and 2nd gear relevant. The fluid drive makes starts from a dead stop, even uphill, a non-issue. Not sure how it would work without fluid drive, maybe require some slippage of the clutch? I don't know. I have had higher gearing (2.90) in more modern standard shift cars and had no issues, but they were lighter and had a little more hp . I also have shorter than stock tires that I believe puts me closer to an actual 3.60 final ratio. I would love to try a 3.55 for comparison, but not enough to actually do it. LOL  I will drive my car a couple hundred miles a day going nowhere but "for a ride" and like I said it works well for me. I really never consider putting the 4:11 back in now that I think about it.........As an old forum member used to tell me "This may or may not help".

like them last few words...………...totally OBD  (our boy Don)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

What size tires are you running?  I know you said "smaller" just curious

26.3 is the diameter of the 205   vs 26.2 for the 6.00  by my calculation which assumes an aspect ratio of .85 on the 6.00.  A very little bigger.  Probably really smaller rolling circumference if it is a radial.

Tire sizing can vary by brand though.

Those numbers seem right by the math, but looking at a 6.00 at the shop, it sure looks taller!

3 hours ago, oldodge41 said:

Running 205/70-15. Original was 600-16.

I recall driving down some of those old roads as fast as my Dad's 48 P15 would go.  That was FUN!!!  Now, 60 years later, I realize that I'm not invincible so I'm happy to just cruise around 35 to 50 mph on the secondary roads.  I would still like more power in the old 6 cylinder though.

Just had to see what my 230 w/OD will do!   80+ on the freeway Once.

Also needed to Especially know what she would do at stop lights.

Just to make sure I could clean the clocks of the old Fords and Chevy's. Mission accomplished.

Love to surprise the young bucks with there Jap noise maker exhaust when they change lanes at the stop light so they will not get stuck behind that "old" car when the light changes, helps to be able to split shifts from 2nd. to second OD then to third w/o OD. Find that at the next light they will not look over to see what left them behind.

Good story but I have only really done these things once Officer!  ??

DJ

• Haha 1