Pin on distributor drive

Hi To All, I am trying to dismantle the distributor on my 1954 truck. Can you help please.......I need to get the small pin that connects the bottom drive shaft to the top shaft out....Is it a straight pin, tapered pin or rusted roll pin. Any help most welcome.....cheers, Dave..........Norwich UK. 

dist 2_LI (3).jpg

It's not tapered. I believe it's a straight pin. When I took mine apart to convert to /6 it was hard to get back together because it was drilled off center. If yours is like that too that might cause you some problems

Thanks for the replys.......I have heated it up and give it a good thump from both sides but no movement. Drilling it out is the next option but thought I would ask on here first just incase I was missing something.......If I drill it out I am hoping I can fit a slightly bigger pin and peen it over on both sides.

Edited by thrashfit

I have seen roll pins distort so that they are no longer straight,  with mating bore axes not in alignment...very difficult to drive out, usually have to drill out ends of pin, remove mating parts, then drive remainder of pin clear of bores...

IF you have access to an arbor press...this is good device to use....if you wish to tap it out with a punch and grooved v-block...carefully file the pin flush to the collar and proceed from there...odds are it may be distorted and as such larger than the actual drilled hole whereupon any further driving will cause more squish and enlarged the diameter...look at it very close...chose which end may be the bet for filing down and leave the distorted end as the already exited portion.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1