1949 p 1 knuckle lower bushing and king pins

1949 p17

we are needing lower knuckle bushings for our 1949 p 17. we also need king pins. who have you bought from and where do you find them?  is there a substitute or an upgraded bushing?

Well after a lot of searching the internet we found the number for the lower knuckle pivot bushing. if you ask enough people someone will have the old book of mopar part numbers. We paid very little on ebay after having the moog part number.

Do the kingpins themselves actually 'wear out' or is it just the bushings??

A few years ago I attempted to replace mine with new ones bought from AB. Turns out they were slightly over sized in diameter. Didn't find out until I tried to put them in. Long story short, I got new bushings, used the old pins and reamed the bushings to size. 

I have seen pins that have shown wear as well as wear on the bushings........I suppose it depends on the amount of use, lack of grease and what conditions the car was used in.......andyd 

• Like 1

you are correct. sometimes the king pins have no wear and the bushings are trashed and sometimes the king pins have huge grooves and make good shop tools.

• Like 1