Assistances Needed

rugbyjon112

Can anyone give me advice on where to set the idol screw on my Carter B&B carb? I bought a new one and I’m not sure were to set initially. I’m having some problems getting the car started with the new carb.

11 minutes ago, rugbyjon112 said:

Can anyone give me advice on where to set the idol screw on my Carter B&B carb? I bought a new one and I’m not sure were to set initially. I’m having some problems getting the car started with the new carb.

Going to need more info, the idle screw is not going to stop it it from starting. We need to look elsewhere.

Do you have spark?

If you have spark at the plugs, is the firing order correct?

These old oil pumps need to be installed with correct TDC on #1 cylinder ... if not done correctly, is like skipping a tooth on other distributors and changes the plug wires rotation.

My oil pump is not correct and instead of #1 at 7:0clock I had to rotate them counter clockwise 1 position for it to start ... I fought this for days before I figured it out.

Basic steps you need to go through, idle screw is not stopping it from starting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Going to need more info, the idle screw is not going to stop it it from starting. We need to look elsewhere.

Do you have spark?

If you have spark at the plugs, is the firing order correct?

These old oil pumps need to be installed with correct TDC on #1 cylinder ... if not done correctly, is like skipping a tooth on other distributors and changes the plug wires rotation.

My oil pump is not correct and instead of #1 at 7:0clock I had to rotate them counter clockwise 1 position for it to start ... I fought this for days before I figured it out.

Basic steps you need to go through, idle screw is not stopping it from starting.

Just adding, to correct my plug wire issues, I removed the pipe plug on #6 cyl, brought it up to compression stroke and set the plug wires from there ... was pretty simple.

I just wish they put the pipe plug on #1 cyl, since all directions say to start with #1 tdc

1 minute ago, rugbyjon112 said:

Los_Control, Thanks for the information. I’ve often wondered why they put it over #6 instead of #1 myself. 

Might be kinda hard with that thermostat housing sitting on top of #1......

also with the plug at number 6 plug there is less of a chance for your hand to move forwards by accident and then get hit by the radiator fan whne the engine is running.  Not a nice situation to be so close to a running fanblade.  Your hand a fingers would not like that either.

Safety issue before we had OSHA standards.  There is always a systematic reason for a design.

Rich Hartung

Hey Sam,

It's because some one said "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Rugbyjon,

With the plugs out, pull that fitting from no. 6 and use a dowel rod or coat hanger about 12 inchers long. Bump the eng with a remote starter switch and put your thumb or finger over the number one plug hole. when you feel pressure start to build watch for the dowel rod to fully rise up. Just barely bump the switch when the rod is up and you felt pressure at number one that is TDC for that cylinder.

Joe Lee

• Like 1

Go all the way in (gently so as not to ruin the needle) and back it out 1.5 to 2 full turns. That should be a good place to start. You will want to fine tune afterwards.