Backup lights suggestions

I’ve seen a few posts about adding backup lights, but with a toggle switch. Wondering if there is a switch or rig that will make them automatic when in reverse? Has anyone made this mod? My ‘52 has the floor shift and is still 6 volt.

-roland

My 1946 Oldsmobile 98 has a 3 speed column shift. the reverse light is activated when the linkage in reverse buts up to a switch.

You could make something like that to work, an example were the late 40's Chev truck brake switches that were a lever arm switch

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, Tooljunkie said:

I took a photo of my door limit   switch. Its well used an still works. 
the housing contains a low voltage microswitch that would do a couple bulbs without issue. 

208C983E-9206-4344-B0B3-70AFC79AEE5B.jpeg

I like it, what is the brand on the switch, hard to make out?

Take a look at Digikey.com. They are an electronics supplier we use at work. Also Mouser.com. They have hundreds of switches that would work. You just need to know what size bulbs you intend to use. You need to know how much amperage you will be running to size the switch properly.

WEb search for "limit switch for sale" will give 1000's of hits. What he showed was an industrail limit switch that come in many styles $25 up from a quick look. 

Also check out -Chevy of the 40's web site, they sell several types that work well.

One example from their site.

image.png.d1bb1ea0d189638eac8d625378c8acad.pngPic of industrial type limit switch.

Dj

wasl08.jpg