Which head gasket?

iowa51

1951 Cranbrook 218cid

Been noticing a coolant smell on startup, especially after sitting for awhile,  along with my radiator not staying full (below the core instead of just above) and temp running a little hotter than I would like.

Plan on taking the head off this winter and see what I find. Noticed 2 types of gaskets are available - Fel-Pro "copper faced" and Mahle "composite". Any preferences on which one to get?

When the engine was rebuilt it was a Fel-Pro gasket set so I guessing a "copper" one was put in then.

I cannot tell you about MAHLE head gasket, but my experience with BEST GASKET and FEL-PRO.

I had to pull the head of my 218 (23" block) after approx. 5k miles after rebuild due to a problem with a bearing. I replaced the cylinder head gasket by a new one then. She same type as before, BEST GASKET 523 (composite - both surfaces with copper layer on a graphite filler sheet.)

After another 5k miles I got a gasket failure between cylinder 5 and 6 (left gasket in the pictures, see red circle).

Of course, if the head gasket fails, I would expect it there. But I rather would have expected it doesn`t fail at all:

Block and head where milled and head bolts really scrupulously torqued. Re-tightened according to specs after a couple of miles until the gasket finally set.

Additionally I noticed then, that my first BEST GASKET 523 showed traces of burns a the same place (center gasket in the pictures).

I replaced the damaged gasket by a FEL-PRO 7564 C (copper layer just on the block side). Up to now approx 5k miles on it.

Observation:

BEST GASKET 523 made a good impression to me, looks high quality. 2 times retorqued until gasket finally set. Failed.

FEL-PRO 7564 C looks o.k. but not very high quality. The copper layer showed tendency to peel off. 3 or 4 times retorqued until gasket finally set. Works up to now.

I cannot tell you, if the FEL-PRO is better, because the running times is the same so far. But since the BEST GASKET failed in one case and showed traces of burn at another gasket despite flat, milled head and block surfaces and correct tightening, it was time to try another type.

Probably doesn`t really help to decide which way to go. Just my experience, others may have got other experiences ...

cyl-head-gasket.jpg.fa41c154f8e3ae7ad12e8cf092464bc4.jpg

• Thanks 1

all gasket types will give satisfactory service  but only if the surfaces are true and the proper tightening procedures have been followed. the advantage  of F-P 7564C is that it does not require retorting after assembly however I generally do it again  hot.  

• Like 1

I sprayed mine with copper coat on both side of the head gasket, sprayed the block and head.  No problems in thousands of miles.  Regardless of which head gasket, use the copper coat.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptx-80697?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarF0n7Ab-NmOFiGAd38_Kdw1gKdcErfeVN_9bTeI4eeFnNe15Kq2ecAaAn1yEALw_wcB

• Like 1

I had to try some gaskets in short time!

Now, I keep a small stock of Victor -Reinz 1059C:

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/cylinder-head-gasket-sets-engine.html?3593=1131029

The composition of the layers convinced me.

Since 8 years and 8 000 mls I had no leak.

I learned today, that my gaskets may have crossed the Atlantic twice :))

(Dana Corp. Ohio  and Victor Reinz, Neu Ulm) https://www.reinz.com/DE/ÜBER-UNS/VICTOR-REINZ.aspx

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

PL_CylHeadGaskets2012.JPG

PL_Cyl head gaskets.jpg

PL_Motor-O-ZylKopf (2)KL - Kopie.jpg

PL_Kühler2012 KL - Kopie.jpg

Edited by Go Fleiter