56 dodge royal

Bbdakota

Thought I'd post a little about the 56 since I sold my 48 D24. The biggest attraction to the 56 over the 48 was an automatic transmission. The second reason was the ability to add ac. At cruisin the coast, a standard transmission will work you out! And lack of ac will make it not as pleasant. Although we just altered our schedule a little so we wouldn't be in stop and go traffic, I still desired an automatic transmission and ac. So when I ran across the 56, and I liked the 56, I thought this was the answer. Little did I realize what I was getting into! Once I got the 56 home, I got her on the lift and realized this thing leaked from every seal, gasket and freeze plug in it. And the brakes were horrible! First order of business was the brakes. I messed around with the oem booster for a while but couldn't get them adjusted. I wanted duel master cylinder anyway so ordered modern duel master cylinder with booster 

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

• Like 1

The fender  skirts would not fit with the width of the rear, a brake drum appeared to be warped andThe speedometer was off, I did the math and figured 3.07 gears would correct the speedometer. So I found a  8.8 with the right width and 3.08 gears. The paint on the wheels was flaking off so I painted them. Tried to see if the wife would go for the no hubcap look but she liked the hubcaps. 

20200314_102850_copy_1008x756.jpg

20200314_114956_copy_1008x756.jpg

20200409_083242_copy_1008x756.jpg

• Like 3

So when this covid bs hit, I took the opportunity to pull the engine and transmission, replaced all gaskets, seals, new aluminum radiator, fresh paint, etc. That turned into a job! I think this thing must have leaked oil and transmission fluid from the factory to accumulate that much grime! The water jackets were full of what looked like mud. My best guess is stop leak and that along with the look of repairs done on the radiator is why I decided to replace the radiator. I had freeze plugs behind motor mounts leaking also.

20200416_145945_copy_756x1008.jpg

I learned Parts are not so readily available for a 315 poly as they are for a 230 flathead. I had the heads worked, mainly to replace the valve seals but since the aftermarket gasket is thicker, had them surfaced by the difference. In the process of assembling, I broke the rocker oiling studs and had to make new ones. You ever tried drilling length ways through a 3/8" bolt?

20200503_144126_copy_567x487.jpg

20200504_181802_copy_756x1008.jpg

20200505_173801_copy_756x1008.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbdakota said:

I learned Parts are not so readily available for a 315 poly as they are for a 230 flathead. I had the heads worked, mainly to replace the valve seals but since the aftermarket gasket is thicker, had them surfaced by the difference. In the process of assembling, I broke the rocker oiling studs and had to make new ones. You ever tried drilling length ways through a 3/8" bolt?

20200503_144126_copy_567x487.jpg

20200504_181802_copy_756x1008.jpg

20200505_173801_copy_756x1008.jpg

this is where the lathe reigns king....else, you in for a slow PITA job.....

Always liked the looks of the 56 Dodge.  I just think they are so classy.  Saw a La Femme one time in person with all the accessories. So cool. Then there was the one that appeared stock until the hood was opened and there sat a 426 Hemi. Very nice car you have.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

17 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Always liked the looks of the 56 Dodge.  I just think they are so classy.  Saw a La Femme one time in person with all the accessories. So cool. Then there was the one that appeared stock until the hood was opened and there sat a 426 Hemi. Very nice car you have.

I think the Le Femme are rare! I saw an episode of my classic car and there were 2 at 1 car show! 

I bet a 426 would catch spectators by surprise! 

I took her to her first cruise in since getting her all back together. Most everyone said something to the effect of "you don't see many of these around ". One guy that looked over the car returned in about an hour and said "I've looked at every car here now and this is my favorite " 

I've got the ac ordered, I'm trying to figure out how I want to build the fan shroud and still have it look period correct. Here's some pictures from the cruise in. 

FB_IMG_1592130579329.jpg

FB_IMG_1592130552840.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

Very nice looking ride!  ?

Thanks! It's getting there but they always look better in pictures....the wife and I bought some polish today to try taking swirl marks out of the paint. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hardtops without B pillar between the glass:

No problem for coupes.  The door glass laps over the glass behind it, which pivots away from the door glass into the side wall behind the front door.  Done for decades for convertibles.  Four-door convertibles, including phaetons, had a gap between the front door glass and the rear door glass, which had to be filled with a removable piece of something. 

GM, in the early 50's, developed the four-door hardtop.  They developed a special body, with the rear door extending behind the glass profile.  The rear door glass retracted away from the front door glass, into the extended part of the rear door, to clear the shortened B pillar on its way down.  Then the glass  pivoted down to clear the opening.  In 1955, some higher brands had the 4-door hardtop; in 1956, they all did. 

For 1956, Chrysler had to get on the bandwagon, but they couldn't justify a special body for just one model year; they were confined to the existing four-door roof profile and door configurations. The solution was two-piece overlapping glass for the rear doors.  The large outer piece would pivot into the door away front the front door glass, and the rear portion would pivot forward into the door.  This Dodge Dart has that feature.  Pictured is a similar 56 DeSoto .

DSCF5773.JPG.2b37e38a083719f2cb7db59396832ebe.JPG

Strangely, in the early '60's, GM has some strange roof profiles, which required overlapping glass, or a permanent "sail" on the rear door to accommodate the rearward retraction of the glass. Klunky.

1 hour ago, DonaldSmith said:

Hardtops without B pillar between the glass:

No problem for coupes.  The door glass laps over the glass behind it, which pivots away from the door glass into the side wall behind the front door.  Done for decades for convertibles.  Four-door convertibles, including phaetons, had a gap between the front door glass and the rear door glass, which had to be filled with a removable piece of something. 

GM, in the early 50's, developed the four-door hardtop.  They developed a special body, with the rear door extending behind the glass profile.  The rear door glass retracted away from the front door glass, into the extended part of the rear door, to clear the shortened B pillar on its way down.  Then the glass  pivoted down to clear the opening.  In 1955, some higher brands had the 4-door hardtop; in 1956, they all did. 

For 1956, Chrysler had to get on the bandwagon, but they couldn't justify a special body for just one model year; they were confined to the existing four-door roof profile and door configurations. The solution was two-piece overlapping glass for the rear doors.  The large outer piece would pivot into the door away front the front door glass, and the rear portion would pivot forward into the door.  This Dodge Dart has that feature.  Pictured is a similar 56 DeSoto .

DSCF5773.JPG.2b37e38a083719f2cb7db59396832ebe.JPG

Strangely, in the early '60's, GM has some strange roof profiles, which required overlapping glass, or a permanent "sail" on the rear door to accommodate the rearward retraction of the glass. Klunky.

I like the 4dr hardtop. The back window mechanism is neat. Thanks for the history.