1950 Plymouth Engine Wear Tolerances

Tomajd

Hi all. First time poster, long time lurker here.

Ive got a customers car in (a 1950 plymouth) with the old flathead 6 and am trying to track down some technical data fro an engine rebuild. The bores are pretty glazed and was looking for wear limits, max taper etc aswell as bearing clearances and so on. 

Is there a manual available online or a good resource for this kind of stuff?

Apologies if this has been covered countless times in the past on here, I've tried all sort sof different searches to no avail. I'm currently blaming it on me using the british words for everything!

Many thinks in advance, 

Tom

these limits are defined in the factory shop manual and also Motors gives some great data on the older cars and one of these books are not that hard to find either.  Someone may list these for you but that will be a lot of typing unless they scan it and paste here...  I am not sure if this does not already exist as reference data under the resources or technical pages in the blue banner top of forum.  Local libraries also have some of the older Motors books on file and you can maybe transcribe there.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, that manual looks perfect. I'll see if I can source one on this side of the pond, otherwise I'll have to be a little bit patient and wait for shipping! 

Tom

That would be brilliant if at all possible! 

I might be a bit bias but I think it's pretty nice around here. There's plenty of rusty old British cars here for you to sample the mountain roads in if you do make it over!

49 minutes ago, Tomajd said:

That would be brilliant if at all possible! 

I might be a bit bias but I think it's pretty nice around here. There's plenty of rusty old British cars here for you to sample the mountain roads in if you do make it over!

heck I got a few of them here in Georgia.....working my Morris LCV now.....just installed the mirror with courtesy/map lights to replace the cheesy unit in there...repops are not the best I understand for this and the originals just do not survive....also the GPS antennae is part of the fabricated mirror mount that utilizes stock holes for mounting....

per local genealogy that my ancestors came to America from Wales.....

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

I've scoured the ebay app here and can only find one for '36-'42. Any of you gar more knowledgeable folk happen to know if the engines were the same as for '50? 

We're surrounded with those little moggys over here. My brothers working on a van at the moment. Looks to be a slightly less than standard engine you've got in there? 

Tom

Ok...I see what is going on, eBay UK has the manuals listed with British prices but they are shipped from US vendors.....sneaky.

Here is some info from the Resources section of the forum with an engine table:

https://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/reference/reference_information.html/

Looks like the '42 and '50 Plymouths both had 218 engines. Compression ratios may be slightly different, there are knowledgeable folks in here that can enlighten us.

My manual says '48 (which I think is same as '42) had 6.6:1 compression, '50 had 7.0:1 for an increase of two hp.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

picked up on that engine did ya...more ponies, all synchromesh 5 speed...3.9 axle compared to stock 4.55....and it is a RHD van body to boot.....you will want the later book as Plymouth got the larger engine a couple years after that book....as Dodge moved up in CID Plymouth basically got the cast aside which was an upgrade for it.......the below is from the UK e-bay...you will be getting from US.....does not look like bad prices....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1946-54Plymouth+service+manual&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Plymouth+service+manual

2 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Ok...I see what is going on, eBay UK has the manuals listed with British prices but they are shipped from US vendors.....sneaky.

they do the same in UK..US pricing item and shipping....but shipping from UK to here on a book like that averages 25-28 US dollars....some things are not a good deal at all....shipping is out of control these days....

That's how they get ya' 

I've spent plenty of time waiting for things to arrive only to find that they're actually coming from China. 

I don't mind spending to get the right piece of reading, it was more a matter of lead time, the poor car is already apart! With shipping the way it is in this country alone at the moment I wasn't holding up much hope for bringing something all the way from the states. Saying that I probably stand a better chance! 

It sounds like you've made a Morris with a 0-60 time better than the standard 3 working days there. We've got an alfa twin cam lined up for one here in the "I'll get around to it" pile... 

do an online download of the book...it will be digital form, think I saw it offered for 14.95 and you have it NOW.....I feel your pain but I got an order in from England 4 days ahead of an order from Florida and I share a border with that state.....go figure......nothing is sacred, nothing is predictable except longer delays and higher prices...

If your car was built in Canada, it uses a different  engine than USA models  and that engine is more akin to Chrysler and Desoto

• Like 1