Oil filter decal

Thanks I'll look into the Napa FIL 1002 the other two you mentioned are the two that, everything I've read really just don't fit, they're too big,  you can force them in, but I don't know what that would do for the filtration quality.

I also do vaguely remember in the back of my brain, that I once saw something that implied paper filters were designed to filter in one direction, while the sock type filters filtered in the opposite direction making the paper ones less if not ineffective.

Edited by billrigsby

2 hours ago, billrigsby said:

I also do vaguely remember in the back of my brain, that I once saw something that implied paper filters were designed to filter in one direction, while the sock type filters filtered in the opposite direction making the paper ones less if not ineffective.

Depth media vs surface media.

A paper filter (surface media) works like a window screen: It has small holes that allow oil to go through but blocks dirt larger than the hole/grid size. There will be a micron rating for the filter.

Depth media is not used for full flow filtration so you are not used to seeing them on modern cars. The filter material is thicker and designed so that the flow of oil through it will cause any dirt to come in contact with a strand of fiber that it will stick too. The flow rates are much lower (so can’t be used for full flow filtering) but can get out much smaller particles of dirt. Often the depth media fibers are something that can also absorb water, in which case it can capture the water (combustion byproducts) from a cold start then release it when it gets hot enough to turn to steam when it can be removed from the crankcase by the ventilation system.

You have seen depth media in other applications: The wire mesh screen on your old car’s oil filler cap and the wire mesh above the oil reservoir in your old car’s oil bath air filter work on the depth principle (the wire mesh is not a uniform grid so it sets up lots of turbulence in the air moving through it which causes the dirt to be thrown against the wire material where a thin coating of oil causes the dirt to stick allowing only clean air through. From what I have read, those old style filters do as good a job as the modern paper surface media filters but have the down side of being messier. Another down side from the manufacturer’s point of view is they can’t sell you new air filter inserts at every service interval (not much profit in rinsing the filter in a solvent then re-oiling it).

You have also seen or used a filter that uses the depth principle if you’ve worn an N95 mask: There is no way you could breath through a mask with small enough pores to block the aerosols carrying a virus. But by using a non-woven material there is enough turbulence to cause the aerosols come in contact with the fibers where they then stick keeping 95% of them from getting through. The reason a woven cloth mask is not as effective is that the regular pattern of threads doesn’t set up the same turbulence so fewer aerosols make contact with the material and more get through.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the end result, happy with the outcome.....

1921293110_14Decalappliedandglossclearcoat.JPG.510e9fedc6e4a2577417c3ba16626ec3.JPG

Edited by billrigsby
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, billrigsby said:

Here is the end result, happy with the outcome.....

Final.JPG.b34e4873e804d52c73088a1f9a043441.JPG

that should dress up that corner of the engine compartment nicely.  The reproduction that I've been working on should address some of the details that are missing here, and I've got a line on getting some samples made in preparation for public consumption...the best thing about this pandemic is that it has allowed getting caught up on some of these smaller projects that have been on the back burner for years ??

• 10 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 9:13 AM, The Oil Soup said:

Does anyone know if this decal is repopped? ...

sm20220201_093022.jpg.573752b62c9cacdbc74ddb17c534be05.jpg

It took some doing, but it looks like the ball is back in my court so I reckon I'll need to gather my notes and post a write-up on my findings, as there were 3 decals used on 3 different canisters painted 2 different colors with 3 different decal orientations, depending on the model...but first I have to work on my 1976 Maytag clothes drier, and we have some nasty weather blowing in this week, so it'll be a few days before I can go into greater detail with the rest of the class.  I should have a vinyl decal available for public consumption before the first drive of spring...hopefully nobody jumps the gun and makes a so-so waterslide decal with typos + missing info + inaccurate colors and claims theirs is an accurate reproduction :rolleyes:

Edited by JBNeal
added link

On 2/20/2021 at 4:50 AM, Merle Coggins said:

The Wix/Napa sock filter is a bit over sized and is very difficult to insert into the canister. Baldwin’s JC405 is a MUCH better fit. I won’t use any other filter in mine. 

Where are you finding the JC405 filters these days?

I gave up on the sock filter years ago and been running the pleated element, Napa 1080.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:05 AM, JBNeal said:

sm20220201_093022.jpg.573752b62c9cacdbc74ddb17c534be05.jpg

It took some doing, but it looks like the ball is back in my court so I reckon I'll need to gather my notes and post a write-up on my findings, as there were 3 decals used on 3 different canisters painted 2 different colors with 3 different decal orientations, depending on the model...but first I have to work on my 1976 Maytag clothes drier, and we have some nasty weather blowing in this week, so it'll be a few days before I can go into greater detail with the rest of the class.  I should have a vinyl decal available for public consumption before the first drive of spring...hopefully nobody jumps the gun and makes a so-so waterslide decal with typos + missing info + inaccurate colors and claims theirs is an accurate reproduction :rolleyes:

Nice!

Edited by John-T-53

13 hours ago, billrigsby said:

Well I'll be dipped....Feebay. I'm headed to NAPPA later today and I'll ask them if they can get Baldwin filters just for the hell of it. 

8 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

That's YOU! Where did you get all those filters?

From Baldwin, sold by the case, I needed one, maybe a spare, so went the case route.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

A quick Google search turned up this site. 

https://www.usafilterstore.com/baldwin-jc405-oil-filter.html

That one was too large (diameter) for my filter housing,

it must have been a Wix or Napa, which is also in the description.

I sent it back.

5 hours ago, billrigsby said:

From Baldwin, sold by the case, I needed one, maybe a spare, so went the case route.

You have the best deal and guarantee of a genuine Baldwin element. 

I inquired about these at NAPA last week and they can only supply the Wix-made elements. If they search for JC405 it lists the 51011 / 1011 #.

Edited by John-T-53

Yep, I was at Napa last year, was wondering if you would fare better, guess not.

The WIX/Napa 'will go in' if you talk to it loud enough, but just not right.

So I went this route, do it once, do it right.

The wix/napa was too big more than 10 years ago and apparently no improvements have been made. I think I read on here that someone talked to Wix and they were going to fix it....but apparently that didn't happen.

3 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

The wix/napa was too big more than 10 years ago and apparently no improvements have been made. I think I read on here that someone talked to Wix and they were going to fix it....but apparently that didn't happen.

Maybe this article?

Dodge truck Cartridge Lube Sock Filter By John Gunnell

"Wilson contacted Wix to talk with their engineers about the problem. "I did send them both styles and they clearly recognized the problem," Wilson says. "They were supposed to go back to the old style, but they were not going to recall the bigger filters, so you may get a correct one and you may not. As a thank you, Wix sent me a case of filters. Can you guess which size they were?" (Of course, they were the oversize filters — the ones that Wilson has had no luck using up.)"

Second Chance Garage-Dodge truck Cartridge Lube Sock Filter

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...