Oil filter decal

Here is a link to an article about the JC filter cartridge  issues and some other helpful info. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/feature-articles/sock-filter-1.cfm

From the rusty imprint on mine it appears the decal was 2 1/8"x 4 1/2". The decal has a Mopar part # 1265706 and I'm not sure that shows up in any Mopar reference books.

image.jpeg

large.sm20200606_135630.jpg.0eb8a6de97fa3eb82dd2920dd9a751ed.jpg

I sourced this canister on eBay years ago, it does not appear to have been used as there are no witness marks from a mounting clamp band, the top is still glossy, and the internals are bone dry with no evidence of oil residue.  The decals have some aging so I'm guessing that it may have been a shelf display.  The JC decal measures about 1.625" x 4.125", the outlet decal measures about 0.50" x 1.75"...I don't know of any reproductions available, but maybe a creative type could scan the originals to recreate the original artwork, digitally color correct to produce a jpg approximation, and crank out a few for personal consumption...this might be one of those times that a reproduction could be made close enough and only the random nitpicker could question its authenticity :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture

JB, can you decipher what is printed under      FILTER

1265706

????????

I know across the bottom it reads; Deluxe Products Corporation La Porte Indiana???

I can also see in your photo where it is stamped Outlet (vertically) just under the fitting opening. Thank you for the actual dimensions.

• 8 months later...

I decided to keep busy on Election Night by listening to some tunes and tracing the original decal on the Deluxe Filter...easier said than done.  The decal tracing was like trying to write on 80 grit sandpaper, but 4 hours later, I have a good start for a reproduction.  I would prefer to get this into a digital format now that I have a 2D representation to work with, but that's not going to happen for awhile with my upcoming work requirements...maybe next month :rolleyes:

large.sm20201103_232139.jpg.2dcb3ab27adb658fb49a7a81293253f1.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised picture
  • Like 5

First go at it, needs a lot of tweaking, no real good photos out there.

552483415_JCtypeDeluxefilter.JPG.473662296640d2d849906f06b4cf6e93.JPG

2 minutes ago, billrigsby said:

First go at it, needs a lot of tweaking, no real good photos out there.

552483415_JCtypeDeluxefilter.JPG.473662296640d2d849906f06b4cf6e93.JPG

This is a common problem when ppl try to duplicate obsolete decals when using fonts available on graphics programs.  The fonts used here, though similar, are not close enough to be accurate to the original artwork.

3 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

This is a common problem when ppl try to duplicate obsolete decals when using fonts available on graphics programs.  The fonts used here, though similar, are not close enough to be accurate to the original artwork.

In that era a lot of what looks like mechanical type was actually hand drawn lettering. There is a good chance that the only way to exactly duplicate that is either the original way with ink and paper or using a vector drawing program to draw the letters.

I have run into this same problem with 2 OEMs that I worked for, when a decal supplier was changed for whatever reason, and the new supplier needed artwork that somehow got lost in our filing systems.  In both cases, somebody in each respective purchasing department decided to sketch something up in Paintbrush, which did not match the shape nor dimensions on approved engineering drawings, and caused a bit of a mess where I had to intervene...in one instance I was able to locate the mis-filed artwork, but the other decal I had to duplicate by hand, then scan into a digital format for approval.  Both decals had to be dimensioned accurately because they were placed on highly visible control panels and detailed finish work was required for marketing purposes.

The decal I am working with now appears to have wrinkled during application, so the tracing I have done will need to be straightened out on regular paper with a finer tip pencil.  I could possibly digitize that drawing to fine tune the line weights, get the spacing right on the text, and get some accurate coloring, but that's gonna be awhile...

15 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I have run into this same problem with 2 OEMs that I worked for, when a decal supplier was changed for whatever reason, and the new supplier needed artwork that somehow got lost in our filing systems.  In both cases, somebody in each respective purchasing department decided to sketch something up in Paintbrush, which did not match the shape nor dimensions on approved engineering drawings, and caused a bit of a mess where I had to intervene...in one instance I was able to locate the mis-filed artwork, but the other decal I had to duplicate by hand, then scan into a digital format for approval.  Both decals had to be dimensioned accurately because they were placed on highly visible control panels and detailed finish work was required for marketing purposes.

The decal I am working with now appears to have wrinkled during application, so the tracing I have done will need to be straightened out on regular paper with a finer tip pencil.  I could possibly digitize that drawing to fine tune the line weights, get the spacing right on the text, and get some accurate coloring, but that's gonna be awhile...

These things take time!  I'm sure it will be great when you are done.

On 2/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, TodFitch said:

There is a good chance that the only way to exactly duplicate that is either the original way with ink and paper or using a vector drawing program to draw the letters.

Correct, I am using Corel Draw, the problem remains - there are not any decent photos I can find to get as accurate as I would like.

It is getting closer, still not happy - yet. ?

258365524_JCtypeDeluxefilter.JPG.ec0cd0bf2d40414beb13d9d8f0d17343.JPG

Yes, very time-consuming especially with pencil and paper albeit probably more accurate if you have that kind of talent which I do not.

The girl definitely has that kind of talent however lacks the fortitude to see something completely through in a timely manner, I would like this done before I am converted to ashes.

As long as I can get it to the point where I'm happy, that's all I care about and I'll slap one on my filter.

JB,  now you have me wondering just what filter I have on my truck.  To my eye th is looks just like the filter you've pictured in this thread.  The Chrysler decal is just something I bought from one of the suppliers as that's what they were offering.  

So, is my filter housing the same as yours?

Brad

20191222_155523x.jpg.fcf2a280e851a5f7b1e83ed2ab3eb3e1.jpg

Edited by bkahler

Does it have a T-Nut on top or a standard bolt, can't tell from your photo but looks like the T Handle?

I believe Dodge made some with a nut, the Deluxe JC uses the T Handle,

this is what the top looks like on the Deluxe JC;

s-l1600.jpg.402f0a82aaf1dce2cdde6e0214ffd292.jpg

I have been staring at these photos for way too long, but I noticed there are two different applications of the decal.

One centered under the Outlet and one to the right of the Outlet, wondering which is correct or both?

45204631_Deluxe2_135x240.jpg.9146243210d0c1dcd4ab8015e662e17b.jpg     1165358306_Deluxe1_320x240.jpeg.cd88f185a6336dc980a56587fc56e13d.jpeg

I think I am almost there with the decal, at least close enough for my use.  ?

1083469020_JCtypeDeluxefilter.JPG.9b11129cd4586662e49fc2f599afe852.JPG

Edited by billrigsby
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, bkahler said:

This thread keeps bringing more questions than answers, I went out to the crates today and unpacked my filter canister.

It appears to be "IS" a 'DELUXE JC' but with differences, the bottom is not smooth like all of the photos in this thread, but has 

embossed ridges. The drain plug is also not at an angle but points straight down?

20210218_173553_856x1200.jpg.9c0fa2e19722cccc998966b8e56b8ab8.jpg 

20210218_173435_1139x1200.jpg.5a786ef64ce46fa5321b45eaa8145f5b.jpg

Any whoose, I broke it down and will get it blasted and painted this weekend.

20210218_173312_1600x1200.jpg.b4c69db237478d2b925135cfc15e8133.jpg

May not be 'proper' but will give me that filtration, not sure where this one came from?

Mine also does not have the single mounting bracket like @bkahler's does

but two with longer screws/square nuts, not a bolt/nut, plot thickens.

May need to make a mounting bracket.

Brad, can you send me some good photos/measurements of the mounting system on yours? ?

Edited by billrigsby

On 2/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, bkahler said:

JB,  now you have me wondering just what filter I have on my truck.  To my eye th is looks just like the filter you've pictured in this thread.  The Chrysler decal is just something I bought from one of the suppliers as that's what they were offering.  

Brad

That filter housing looks very similar to what I have...there is a similar heavy duty filter housing in the factory parts manual that was available for the larger flatheads that has the 2 mounting clamps.

that looks like the full flow decal that I've seen available as part of the flathead engine compartment decal set...it looks nice but not entirely accurate  :cool:

This was the element that was with it, took some do'in to get it in and out,

not as bad as the Napa and WIX filters, sounds like you need a hammer to get them in.

20210218_170340_1600x1112.jpg.b7dd3a027b8d5cbbe27b185ee3af5640.jpg

20210218_170828_1118x1200.jpg.b404b7d255a5aaa529023c34f9d903cb.jpg

20210218_170842_1067x1200.jpg.a5fae8e9b7919ddfbf335467a7a030c9.jpg

Literally no identification marks, does anyone have any idea as to make/model?

Suggestions on a decent element?

How do the Baldwin JC405s fit, they seem to be much simpler in design than this one.

What about a new paper filter cartridge? Providing it is the same dimensions?

s-l500.jpg.38ba2b7dc768ea0407954ebb42dd0a5b.jpg

Edited by billrigsby

I think the Chrysler number for that “sock type” heavy duty oil filter element was 676575. I believe the WIX number for the cartridge is WIX 51011 and the NAPA number is FIL 1011 though I have a note that the NAPA FIL 1002 might fit better.

If that housing is designed for the sock type filter, then it is unlikely to seal around the paper element filter elements properly. And the sock type filter was the one designated for heavy duty use so I think it should work better with the proper element anyway.