Lets see pic of your trucks

Ken_Hart

37 Dodge 1.5 ton pu. Originally a fire truck,now a work in progress. Anyone interested can follow the build progress on the truck side of the board.

Driver side mock up.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 53 B4D said:

I'm new to this but always wanted to buy and restore a classic/vintage car so I bought this 53 B4D to keep me busy during the pandemic. 

Screenshot_2021-02-17-19-58-30~3.png

I think you missed the restore part of the goal with that purchase! Looks like a great condition truck that needs little. I know they are kinda love/hate but personally the 53 is my favorite pilot house

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 11:39 PM, 53 B4D said:

I'm new to this but always wanted to buy and restore a classic/vintage car so I bought this 53 B4D to keep me busy during the pandemic. 

Screenshot_2021-02-17-19-58-30~3.png

Nice 1 ton!  I see a few mods but looks really solid!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 53 B4D said:

What mods do you see? Any feedback is appreciated. I'm a newbie remember ☺️ I haven't done anything to the exterior other than replace windows and paint wheels.

Rear bumper, hooks on the bed, has B1 or B2 mirror arms.  Nothing big, but not "stock".  Like I said looks really solid!

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Rear bumper, hooks on the bed, has B1 or B2 mirror arms.  Nothing big, but not "stock".  Like I said looks really solid!

Good to know! Thanks for the info. I did suspect that heavy duty looking rear bumper was not stock. Wonder what the truck was used for?  It's a 1 ton with a long bed. I did find out from the VIN # that it was built in the San Leandro plant in CA.

Don't wait to get started. Doesn't cost much to start taking one apart to find out what it needs.

Do that and keep a list. Find out by asking which parts are the hardest to find,and make a special effort to find them first. This has several advantages,the prime one being are that any rare part you buy today will be cheaper now than it will be in 5 years,AND you won't have to stop your restoration 5 years from now while trying to find that rare part.

Plus,it keeps you "in the game" and makes sure you don't lose interest.

I haven't turned the first wrench on my basket case 33 Plymouth coupe yet,but already have every part I think I am going to need tagged and put away in my shop. This includes the 6 carb 330 DeSoto hemi,and a push-button 727 with the controls and cables.

The only parts I can think of at the moment that I don't already have are the paint,upholstery,and the glasses.

Hope to sell my stock "older restoration" 31 Plymouth coupe and my 37 Dodge truck this spring to get the money and the room in the shop to start working on the 33. It's going to be a "50's street hot rod" with stock body including fenders,but I MIGHT leave the hood off. Even if I do,it will be restored and stored inside my shop so the next owner can use it if he wants.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:41 AM, knuckleharley said:

Don't wait to get started. Doesn't cost much to start taking one apart to find out what it needs.

Do that and keep a list. Find out by asking which parts are the hardest to find,and make a special effort to find them first. This has several advantages,the prime one being are that any rare part you buy today will be cheaper now than it will be in 5 years,AND you won't have to stop your restoration 5 years from now while trying to find that rare part.

Plus,it keeps you "in the game" and makes sure you don't lose interest.

I haven't turned the first wrench on my basket case 33 Plymouth coupe yet,but already have every part I think I am going to need tagged and put away in my shop. This includes the 6 carb 330 DeSoto hemi,and a push-button 727 with the controls and cables.

The only parts I can think of at the moment that I don't already have are the paint,upholstery,and the glasses.

Hope to sell my stock "older restoration" 31 Plymouth coupe and my 37 Dodge truck this spring to get the money and the room in the shop to start working on the 33. It's going to be a "50's street hot rod" with stock body including fenders,but I MIGHT leave the hood off. Even if I do,it will be restored and stored inside my shop so the next owner can use it if he wants.

Good advice. However, right now I am just finishing getting my shop built and then I need to start on the house.  The truck is all there except someone stole the hood ornament and the rear of the cab is rusted away (I see a couple of places that sell the corner and back panels online). I was able to find a NOS hood ornament, so I am pretty well set.  I doubt I will loose interest, I have been driving and fixing up Dodge trucks for > 50 years.  My first DD to high school was a 1941 WC-12. 

I will start a new thread on the recovery and my progress in the near future.  

Edited by TooManyIrons
typos

Really like this truck! Please tell about drive train if you know what’s under there. And if you know what the original color was? I have one as well and it was orange originally maybe with black front and fenders. I haven’t seen many in Orange and I’m digging it! I have some old AC tractors that would look good on the tail.

Edited by 47 dodge 1.5 ton

I'm glad you like it.  I can tell you it has the original 251cid engine from the factory with a 2 speed trans.  It also has everything under it to make it a dump truck, although it's a fixed flatbed now.  I believe my "buildout" showed that it was originally painted red, but I believe it has been painted over.  It might have been painted red again, but with the extra hot sun in the Central Valley, it may have faded to this lovely color.  I've been working on her for over 8 years and I have just one more thing to do to complete her which is to get my fuel gauge to work.....what a pain!  Looks rough from the outside, but just about everything has been repaired to make her functional once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Another oldy ‘47 WD21 been sitting a long time in downtown Kansas City but it ran just barely, locked up brakes,  rusty dents slathered with bondo, frame looks like it’s been under water since 1911

Did the brakes, wheels, now getting the gunked up engine cleaned out 

Just want to get it back on the road on the cheap for now then make improvements as I go

81F300ED-18D3-4C04-8BD8-E932E2624FAD.jpeg

6A25ACAF-F850-45E0-A7AD-9D24FF63C139.jpeg

46ED3CE4-A588-4E31-B78C-8447FDD3807F.jpeg

• Like 6

47 Jim,what are your plans for the truck?

It really looks pretty solid in the photos.

Yep, the looks are deceiving, what appears to be a really old faded green painted driver with a solid body is actually a truck someone pulled out of a field in the 80's, slathered bondo THICK and I mean THICK right over the rust and major dents then painted it metallic green, my guess is for resale, the bondo is up to 3" thick in some areas but oddly enough the cab is pretty solid except for around those two big bottom mounting bolts. It looked cool enough and I got it cheap enough to deal with it though, it's got a 230 out of 1950 Dodge car, bottom end looks brand new but had stuck valves and a roached number one exhaust valve up top, currently doing a valve job.

These trucks are so hard to find, I only wanted a WD21 with the 9 foot bed, nothing else, looked for years but they're either a flake of rust in a field for $2000 or frame off for $40,000, you can almost never find a "driver"

Plans are to just get it back on the road in stock form on the cheap, start driving it the 11 miles to the railyard a few days a week, make some improvements as I go to clean it up with some upgrades for dependability, probably dual carbs and exhaust for a little more pep but it must stay ALL 1947 in appearance and feel, it's the closest thing I'll ever get to time travel, I want to taste 1947 even though I arrived 20 years after.

Edited by 47Jim
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, 47Jim said:

Yep, the looks are deceiving, what appears to be a really old faded green painted driver with a solid body is actually a truck someone pulled out of a field in the 80's, slathered bondo THICK and I mean THICK right over the rust and major dents then painted it metallic green, my guess is for resale, the bondo is up to 3" thick in some areas but oddly enough the cab is pretty solid except for around those two big bottom mounting bolts. It looked cool enough and I got it cheap enough to deal with it though, it's got a 230 out of 1950 Dodge car, bottom end looks brand new but had stuck valves and a roached number one exhaust valve up top, currently doing a valve job.

These trucks are so hard to find, I only wanted a WD21 with the 9 foot bed, nothing else, looked for years but they're either a flake of rust in a field for $2000 or frame off for $40,000, you can almost never find a  "driver"

Plans are to just get it back on the road in stock form on the cheap, start driving it the 11 miles to the railyard a few days a week, make some improvements as I go to clean it up with some upgrades for dependability, probably dual carbs and exhaust for a little more pep but it must stay ALL 1947 in appearance and feel, it's the closest thing I'll ever get to time travel, I want to taste 1947 even though I arrived 20 years after.

I am redoing a 37 Dodge truck with the 9 foot bed. Originally a fire truck that had a pumper body in the bed. Putting it on a 79 Dodge 4x4 chassis. Started a build page in the truck section,but haven't gotten much posted so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 12:27 AM, Dunkin said:

My 1947 WHA 48 2 ton Dodge with painted doors.

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

YIKES!

I am guessing you just put up a BIG garage?

• Haha 1