Lets see pic of your trucks

Ken_Hart

• 3 weeks later...

You should be very proud of such a "Classic Treasure".

Edited by Trucker Tim
spelling

Great find!

Sadly our 48 sedan is for sale but I would sure like to have an old truck for a daily driver. 

We keep the 52 M37 strictly for parades and shows. 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:38 PM, pflaming said:

Not a Dodge, but very interesting truck, and possibly a bit rare. 

B50C598C-EDD8-46CA-B75B-03CAB3271A96.jpeg

Wasn't this thing chasing Dennis Weaver in his Valiant?

• Haha 1

I love it!!!!!!!

45 years over the road and never had the pleasure of driving a Reo! Keep us posted on this old jem.

Now that Dennis Weaver thing. Close but that was a "Needle Nose Pete". 

DUEL RIG.jpg

1 hour ago, Trucker Tim said:

I love it!!!!!!!

45 years over the road and never had the pleasure of driving a Reo! Keep us posted on this old jem.

Now that Dennis Weaver thing. Close but that was a "Needle Nose Pete". 

DUEL RIG.jpg

Cool picture, I remember as a kid every time we saw a semi blowing black smoke my dad would say “his injectors are not right “. Not sure if it’s right but I heard it a lot. 

• Like 1

Black exhaust is an indication that there is more fuel being injected than can be burned in the combustion process. It could be from faulty injectors over fueling, or not spraying properly. It could be also be caused by a lack of air, as in clogged air filters or a turbo problem (if turbocharged). General thought process back during that time was if it wasn’t blowing black it wasn’t making power. But in reality black exhaust is just money going out the pipe from wasted fuel. 

Nowadays black smoke is frowned upon and was one of the driving factors in our modern emission regulations. Now many Diesel engine have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) to capture, and process, all of that soot to keep the air cleaner. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Black exhaust is an indication that there is more fuel being injected than can be burned in the combustion process. It could be from faulty injectors over fueling, or not spraying properly. It could be also be caused by a lack of air, as in clogged air filters or a turbo problem (if turbocharged). General thought process back during that time was if it wasn’t blowing black it wasn’t making power. But in reality black exhaust is just money going out the pipe from wasted fuel. 

Nowadays black smoke is frowned upon and was one of the driving factors in our modern emission regulations. Now many Diesel engine have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) to capture, and process, all of that soot to keep the air cleaner. 

Another factor is the quality of fuel your using. Over the years we had trucks that actually added oil from the crankcase into the fuel system. Oil from a supply reservoir on the back of the cab was then added to the motor. That made-em smoke. That experiment in futility thankfully didn't last too long. Ruan Trucking was a pioneer in that endeavor. The new diesel pulling trucks with their onboard computers have a "chip" that makes them smoke like a fiend. Cool but not practical.  I like a lot of smoke but I'm just an old diesel-dummy. Cheers.   

30 minutes ago, TK-Machine said:

Just got back from a 983 mile round trip to  Michigan to pick up 4000 pounds of Acorn welding tables was fun.20200507_094021.jpg.a9116e4f017428d7fef04363536c16ba.jpg

Now that's my kind of trip! Hammer down Boyz!

19 hours ago, Trucker Tim said:

Another factor is the quality of fuel your using. Over the years we had trucks that actually added oil from the crankcase into the fuel system. Oil from a supply reservoir on the back of the cab was then added to the motor. That made-em smoke. That experiment in futility thankfully didn't last too long. Ruan Trucking was a pioneer in that endeavor. The new diesel pulling trucks with their onboard computers have a "chip" that makes them smoke like a fiend. Cool but not practical.  I like a lot of smoke but I'm just an old diesel-dummy. Cheers.   

Locomotives back in the 90's had a system called Lubrizol. It put crankcase oil into the fuel system to burn off. Then when the unit was fueled they would also top off the crankcase with oil. The thought was you would always have clean oil.

Yep, almost the exact system.

Didn't know the rail industry played with that set up.

We also had a grease-jockey that would lube the grease zerks

running down the road. You can only imagine the mess that one made.   

Ah Yes, the good old days. (I'd love to go back.)

There currently is a 48 on market place for $250.  Note said, “Ran when parked, flash brush  fire so parts truck”. It doesn’t look too bad. But no mas, have plenty to do. 

6DF54FEA-D241-47C9-A814-C51D5CE68A7F.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

That's a sad sight for sure.

In the same boat here, half my vehicles for sale now. 

Not enough hours in the day. 

Edited by Trucker Tim
Remove photo.

Tooljunkie, at the rate you're collecting, you could end up with a collection like mine.  I'd be interested in your plans.  Good luck.

• Like 1

That fireproofed  ‘48 is a duelley, So tempting. Maybe buy it is I don’t have to get it for a while. Then, pressure steam clean, windshield pieces, running gear, wiring, and seat.   A validated original patina truck. Wear black when driving it, the ghost rider! Crazy cool! , 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, vikingminer49er said:

Tooljunkie, at the rate you're collecting, you could end up with a collection like mine.  I'd be interested in your plans.  Good luck.

S-10 chassis, maybe? Or look into putting one on a 94 ram 2500 4x4 i have. 360 with 4.10s and manual trans. I like driving the ram,thinking cutting cab and grafting old cab onto newer one. 

• Like 1