Will not turn over

mizzzi

I am trying to start my fathers 1952 Cranbrook convertible.    Battery strong, connections good, only get a loud click and will not turn over. The click is coming from the cylinder  the battery terminal is connected to in photo.     Is this a solenoid?    Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

C0122956-EE68-4954-B931-04D40007FC4C.jpeg

yes that is your starter selinoid. Since the wires look to be original and there is rust around each connection suggest that you clean each connection and get good clean contacts.

According to my Autolite parts catalog the correct autolite selinoid is SST -4007 and used used on Dodge 46-52 and Plymouth 46-52

Yes that is the solenoid and the wires look iffy. Clicking usually indicates the magnetic switch inside is making a connection.  Couple things I would do before trying to engage the starter,

Pull the spark plugs

Put the transmission in third gear

Rock the car forward and back

Remove the dist cap

While rocking observe that the rotor moves back and forth with the move ment.this will show whether the engine is siezed or free.

If free then continue with the plugs out

Try the key again does the starter spin?

If not, you can by pass the solinoid with an old pair of pliers. Yes there will be sparks!!

With the transmission in neutral bridge the two solenoid terminals with the handles of the pliers. Yes there will be sparks.

If the starter turns, then, the solenoid is at fault.  If six volt, attractor supply place should stock 6 volt solenoids, yes they are all pretty much interchangable. Replace the solenoid and report back.  Do you have the battery installed with positive to ground??  Yes these were positive ground systems.  As long as you have the spark plugs out put a tablespoon of new oil or ATF down each cylinder, and while you are out get some new spark plugs.  AC 45 or equivalent. And while you are at the parts counter, get the oldest guy there to get you a points file to go along with your new plugs.

• Thanks 1

Better connections and she is turning over.   Thx guys!

Anyone know the point gap setting?  

Weak to barely any spark, all new points, distributor,  condenser and wires.