How to remove control arms on 48 DeSoto

MarcDeSoto

Some cheaper after market NORS pin kits had O-Rings in them.

Just got the front suspension rebuilt and buttoned up tonight. Don't believe the shop manual when it says Step 3 Align the steering knuckle support with the lower control arm and install pin. Screw on nut and torque to 110 lbs. Step 4 Install spring! Of course they don't tell you if you do step 3 before step 4, you will have to undo step 3, then do step 4, then do step 3! Got it!  I guess the shop manual didn't care too much about getting the order right on assembly.  Shop manuals were not written for DIY's, so you have to use common sense to avoid having to do the work twice.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Marc,

All my parts are 80 miles away in my place out of town...

Do you still have your lower control arm pivot bar and bushings handy?

If so, could I get you to do something for me?

Stick one of the bushings in a bench vise. Then screw in the pivot bar about half way into it. Mark with a ruler the distance to any fixed point like the rear of the busing in the vise or the side of the vice.  Then turn the pivot bar one complete turn into the bushing and measures how much it moved into the bushing. The do a second turn and measure and then a third.

What I want to know is how much does the pivot bar move per one turn. Three turns dived by the distance will give an average per turn to see if it is even.

What I want to do in the next month or two is to see if I can screw in my lower control arms on the 1949 Desoto CV to move the lower control arms forward relative to the upper.

I did not have the tool when I did mine, so I mocked up a board and steel with holes to make sure I got it centered. What I want to do now is to UN-center it to give it more Caster so that I can bring the eccentric adjuster back to something more centered in the upper control arm. I had to move them all the way back to get my -0.5 and -1 Caster.

The question is how much movement does one get for one turn on that pivot.  With measurements and some math I may be able to get a good guess as to how many turns I need to increase the castor.

Thanks, James

Great thread guys!  Marc, thanks for all the photos an videos. 

I've done all this a few years back. All the same challenges.   I forgot how I got the upper bushing in without the Miller 736 shoe horn.  

Rich Hartung let me borrow the other Miller tools.  Could not have done this without them.

This post will be a great help to other members!